• Welcome you are browsing as a Guest, why not Register or Login ?
  • spotter

Has anyone worked out how to fly with one hand? Mainly talking about revs. I have had a bit of a play with flying with one hand but have always struggled in keeping control when doing more than just straight up and down movements. One I start to try and do any turns I have had all sorts of troubles.

Any idea's on how to hold the handles to achive this?
    365 Posts
    Hobart

Jason

Thats about all I can do one handed with a REV also. Index finger just under the front lines and toggle the handles with my little fingers
    Non Sponsor
    1773 Posts
    Brisbane

spotter

Yeah thats what I have tried Jason... Want to be able to at least turn the kite with some control and do some inverted hovers with one hand. Would be a neat party trick.
    365 Posts
    Hobart

Promethius

[quote][/quote] To attain one handed flight control with your Rev. First check you line lengths are all at equal measurements. Handle setting's also set equally. You will then need to practice your one handed take offs, and slow high angle left and right handed down turns. Then slowly advance to bringing the Rev towards the ground, to a complete stop and hover about 2 metres from the ground. To do this you will need to learn to wedge your index finger of your master or stronger hand high under the toggle knots of both handles. Your middle and ring finger will be slightly wider than normal and your little or pinky finger as low as possibly stretched on the handle to be able to initiate turn control, or inverted flight into hover. You will also need to watch at first, or feel for your feet position's, and be more aware of leading with either your right or left hip to gain better alround controlability. You will also need to become acquainted with muscle memory in your arms to be able to release and then take up pressure while inverted as well. The muscle control is not constant and you will need to be aware of your arm and wrist position at varying times :yes3:
    Last edited by Promethius on Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:21 am, edited 7 times in total.
    26 Posts
    Singapore

KaoS

Promethius wrote: To do this you will need to learn to wedge your index finger of your master or stronger hand high under the toggle knots of both handles. Your middle and ring finger will be slightly wider than normal and your index finger as low as possibly stretched on the handle to be able to intiate turn control, or inverted flight into hover.

So that's two index fingers per hand?? :dontknow:

Promethius wrote:You will also need to watch you feet position

...if you watch your feet, your kite will probably crash :D

For good one handed Rev flying check out Steve De Rooy videos on youtube, especially his Double Rev Ballet Demo at M.I.K.E.
    His technique seems to be much more thumbs, fore and middle fingers based only. An amazing, amazing Rev flyer, and a really nice guy too.
    I'd love to be able to say I've flown with him, but sadly he was the one who stepped out to let me fly with iQuad :o

Yep, that's me in the red hat...

Kevin Sanders

Willunga S.A.
    160 Posts
    Willunga, SA

Promethius

There are plenty of great Rev flyers in the world, way before I Quad even existed. (the Dec's, and the Flic are just 2 for example)...When you can fly 2 Rev's with a similar technique then you are in the same ball park... We are talking though, about flying a Rev with both handles in "one hand".. So that means using only one "index finger", the thumb and 3 other fingers grasping both handles in the one hand. Then using a great deal of wrist and elbow technique constantly being finessed and readjusted, as well as foot movements for transition and balance.

This same technique which I posted for the gent who wanted to get info has worked for me and others for the past 20 years for both one handed Rev, and multiple Rev flying (one in each hand). Before commenting again, get your own experience on this sorted, if you dare that is.... There are not many of us in the world who can fly both 3 dual line kites at once, and alternatively a Rev in each hand properly, and I doubt very much you can at this stage...? This is the type of experience one should have before commenting on "hand and finger position's, or handle control techniques", until you can actually prove it yourself.. Makes pretty clear sense to those of us who have proven the method with actual multi Rev flying for years... :tongue2:
    Last edited by Promethius on Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:08 am, edited 9 times in total.
    26 Posts
    Singapore

Promethius

Funnily enough, you (in the red hat) are the only one in the pic standing square or flat footed onto the kite.... The others are all leading with either their prefered foot leading, and also hip position, and more practice needed there by the looks. This is what is meant by "watching your feet", as it is actually feeling for your foot position's ( not looking down at all). The light inputs, and dexterity necessary, is only developed by constant practice. Thumb position whether high on the handle with the crease of the thumb either above or below the cap is a personal preference for finesse. This is also assisted by a slightly spread finger position which is constantly changing, though pivoted by the "index fingers" under the toggle knots (pig tails) of the handles. This controlled technique also allows for smooth transition of the Rev no matter whether on 80ft, 100ft, or for those who know what they are doing 120 ft length lines. Whether that be for a handle in each hand, or with both handles in one hand. The technique is still the same, though the obvious wrist and elbow position changes when both handles are in the one hand. :yes3:
    26 Posts
    Singapore

DaveA

:popcorm1:
    43 Posts

JKS

Not wrong Dave .... this is GREAT :popcorm1: I never knew things got so hardcore !!

Promethius , you deserve a Medal :good:
    (And 9 edits ... lol) WOW .. gotta get dem werdz right mayyyyyte

Marty ... The inflatable
    10011 Posts
    Brizvegas

Promethius

Lurkers........................ They can't fly for crap, so they lurk in the shadows. Pretty much sums up the last 2 posts.. :tongue2:
    26 Posts
    Singapore

JKS

Oh Mr P ... next time you fly in from Singapore, pop over for a beer :drinks:
    10011 Posts
    Brizvegas

steve_hobart

cool photo Kevin.

very impressive :good:

cheers

steve
    462 Posts
    Hobart

Promethius

I'd rather be flying multiple quads, or the same in dual kites. Not into drinking and flying, as they shouldn't ever mix :tongue2:
    26 Posts
    Singapore

KaoS

Promethius wrote:Funnily enough, you (in the red hat) are the only one in the pic standing square or flat footed onto the kite.... The others are all leading with either their prefered (sic)foot leading, and also hip position

At the instant that photo was taken, the group was transitioning (progressively) from left flight to right. Your obviously sharp eyes will notice that John Baressi is still facing left, I am part way through the transition, with less weight on my left foot than my right, even though my shoulders are still not square to the kite. Poor old Bazzer has his feet completely reversed (so unprofessional!) At least he managed to get flat footed by the second photo :D If only he would wear long pants and a black hoodie.

Promethius wrote: and more practice needed there by the looks

Always do! Even with my Australian Championship trophies from 1997,1998, and 1999 I'm not big headed enough to believe I don't need to constantly practice.

Promethius wrote:or for those who know what they are doing 120 ft length lines.

I'm so glad you think I know what I'm doing :rolleyes:

Sorry you had so much trouble editing your original post (7 times and counting...) It must be because
    Promethius wrote:Your middle and ring finger will be slightly wider than normal

When will they make larger keyboards for wide fingered people??
    160 Posts
    Willunga, SA

KaoS

Promethius wrote: There are not many of us in the world who can fly both 3 dual line kites at once, and alternatively a Rev in each hand properly, and I doubt very much you can at this stage...?

Sorry to burst your bubble - yes I can. Difference being, I don't brag about it
    160 Posts
    Willunga, SA

Promethius

I'm not interested in pitiful excuses, or that of a kite groupie and gimicky pics..... You've got nothing....... :tongue2:
    26 Posts
    Singapore

JKS

I can see why there is such a need for one handed flying :hatsoff:
    You need something to keep all that modesty covered.

When did it stop being fun :friends:
    Marty
    10011 Posts
    Brizvegas

KaoS

Promethius wrote:I'm not interested in pitiful excuses, or that of a kite groupie and gimicky pics.....

Groupie?? Gimmicky (correct spelling) pics??
    http://www.qldkiteflyerssociety.com.au/gofly/GoFlyMar08.pdf ... interesting reading from page 4
    160 Posts
    Willunga, SA

spotter

Had to be my post that is stiring up trouble :D
    365 Posts
    Hobart

DaveA

KaoS wrote: ... interesting reading from page 4

That's his best side on page 7 :laugh1:
    43 Posts

Dicussion Forum

Get involved with others, ask questons and find answers to your kiting related problems in Australia's No.1 kiting forum!

Online Shop

Grab yourself some official Extreme Kites merchandise direct from our Online Shop and make yourself part of the crew when out kiting.

Knowledge Base

It's like a bank, jst it's full of information for kiters! You can add your own knowledge by creating an article or update an existing article!

Kite Reviews

The most in depth reviews on the internet related to kiting and equipment. You're welcome to add your own review to the mix and share your experience.

Spot Locations

We list the most informative locations database in Australia for kiting than any other website. Take a lok and spot next weekends ideal kiting destination!

Shop Directory

Searching for a kite shop or a place to get some lessons couldn't be easier! You can also search for a retailer by brand to find the gear you need!

Extreme Kites Australia

PO BOX 325, Mt Waverley, Victoria 3149

Website Copyright © 2009 Extreme Kite