Revolution Mesh Kite

25 posts in this topic

Yep, at $US600 they aren't cheap but they have a HUGE wind range and fly like silk (reportedly, can't afford one yet!). 

A guy in the states (Posting on PKF) is in the finishing stages of making his own... I saw this here right as he was starting work on his... pretty cool looking too. I think he made it out of 3 different 45 foot tails all woven and sewed together... I'd post a link but not sure if thats kosher here to do.

Here's one of his pics he posted:

MeshMock.jpg

3shot likes this

I have seen one of these created out of an early Revolution kite which can be bought at a fairly good price these days and then a hole design put all over the kite canopy,then each hole is hand cut with a little burning tool which cuts and seals the kite material at the same time. Excellent for very high wind flying.

That's my kite above that soliver posted about. It was indeed "inspired" by Eliot Shook's Masterpiece Rev's..I met Eliot at a OBX kiting event last year. His kites are truly first rate quality and rightfully called masterpieces.  The decision to make my own though was also inspired by the price tag. This one has  about $50USD invested and 10 hours worth of work. I started with 2 45' G-kite tails and did the interweave. Taped it all down and sewed it together.. The Green Leading Edge is some Ripstop from  a different source I had,.I wanted something I could fly at night as well..

First flight went reasonably well but I was in winds much lighter than what it's designed for and I need to get a stiffer frame before really putting it through its paces.. Current frame is made from carbon fiber arrow shafts.  I had to fly it for the first flight at the Wright Memorial. It seemed appropriate.. I'm looking forward to getting it out in a more appropriate wind range.

.Joel likes this

I was with riffclown at that kite festival. It really is a cool kite. He did an excellent job constructing it!

I've continued to turn the Gomberg/G-kites tails into kites.. Having a blast doing it and flying them.. ALL of these kites are made from Kite Tails..SailsFromTails.thumb.jpg.f70a2042fc4c960c167cbe30d1319c95.jpg

PatriotMesh.thumb.jpg.09c9edeb91d2844b52e5f028406aa0ec.jpg

Sent a pic to David Gomberg.. His Reply..

FromGomberg.jpg

Darren Tibbey, nigel, Chook and 1 other like this

The latest ones will be a stack and were design with that in mind...

Mostly I just enjoy making the kites. As of this latest batch, I have more home-mades than Revs.

FWIW, I also have 6 if the Freileins, (4 are in a permanent stack)

Darren Tibbey likes this

It is stacked and bridled now.. Planning first flight at the Wright Kite Festival tomorrow at the Wright Memorial.. Kitty Hawk seems the appropriate place.. will also be first flight for a few other of my creations.. Pics and Video are in the plan.. Will hopefully have those online by Monday.. (2 day festival)

20170711_144536.jpg

PatriotMesh.jpg

Chook and Darren Tibbey like this

Looks like first flight for my new kites is going to have to be altered.. I won't be able to make the Wright festival this year after all.. Hopefully I'll get out for a few minutes to my regular flying field.. If so I'll try to  fly'em and get some footage there.

Sometimes Life Happens

Darren Tibbey likes this