XK
The Moose Meet 2016

167 posts in this topic

With all the prolific pictures of a glorious moose we have forgotten to profusely mock Joel for calling then not showing at the moose. . . . .  

I have a nice and easy dune race for you next year. You have a year to practice your down wind, downhill looping technique. You better stop building Lego cars and get out there and start flying kites to practice. 

Chook, .Joel and SoutherlyBuster like this

22 hours ago, plummet said:

With all the prolific pictures of a glorious moose we have forgotten to profusely mock Joel for calling then not showing at the moose. . . . .  

All I'm seeing is a bunch of amateurs rolling down dunes and flipping themselves out of their buggies whilst dressed as gogo-dancers in hawiian shirts :upyours: 

When my time comes i'll beat you all whilst I fly backwards :beach: 

/flame on :P 

SoutherlyBuster likes this

9 hours ago, .Joel said:

All I'm seeing is a bunch of amateurs rolling down dunes and flipping themselves out of their buggies whilst dressed as gogo-dancers in hawiian shirts :upyours: 

When my time comes i'll beat you all whilst I fly backwards :beach: 

/flame on :P 

Hahahahaha...... You have to back your flaming up with performance. You better get out there and fly as much as you can between now and 2017 Moose. If you can complete the race without being lapped I'll be really impressed.

PS Gannet who you mocked so harshly for flipping has many 24hr buggy world records for riding in dunes. How many buggy world records do hold or have held?

On 22/10/2016 at 5:00 AM, plummet said:

PS Gannet who you mocked so harshly for flipping has many 24hr buggy world records for riding in dunes.

I taught @gannet how to fly... hanging around you he ends up upside down all the time :dontknow: 

On 22/10/2016 at 5:00 AM, plummet said:

How many buggy world records do hold or have held?

10, I'm going for my 11th this season :derisive: 

BigTone likes this

@gannet Bloody hell mate that looked like an epic way to stress test the buggy and yourself.

Looks like a great meet at an epic location guys.

I'm sitting here in Auckland International airport waiting for our flight home. Man does time fly when your having a ball. The 6 weeks have disappeared in the blink of an eye. So many outstanding people we have met and adventures we have experienced.  

Thank you "Moose bro's" for holding my hand in your beautiful play ground. I'll never forget you guys.

Our little Tiida hire car has taken us to places I still can't fully appreciate the beauty off (and many places that it should never have been.)

We have over 3000 photos of most of the coast of both islands that have tracks to access them. The 10,278 kms we knocked up on her all over NZ, have been absolutely stunning. I've never seen so many lighthouses in my lifetime. 

Thanks again for sharing your home with us.

I'll post some pics when I get back to the chook house. :)

andy666, .Joel, plummet and 4 others like this

22 hours ago, .Joel said:

I taught @gannet how to fly... hanging around you he ends up upside down all the time :dontknow: 

10, I'm going for my 11th this season :derisive: 

Good I look forward to you kicking my arse at the 2017 moose. 

Here's a question. What is the best kite to race in the dunes?  It appears that inflatables are the kite to use........

.Joel and Grants like this

22 hours ago, plummet said:

Here's a question. What is the best kite to race in the dunes?  It appears that inflatables are the kite to use........

Nasa Star3!

HUGE thanks to @plummet, @gannet and @roblukin for uploading photos of the event.  I've collated them all and they're now accessible in the Gallery as well, the Events section of the gallery is becoming quite the nostalgic treasure chest being able to go back 10 years and look at past photos :good: 

jhn.holgate likes this

Hehe. I would laugh but that still hurts :) a little a least the rib has stopped clicking when I move.

I probably push myself a little too hard sometimes but without a good adrenalin  fix, life would be a little boring.

It was awesome having our Ozzie brothers here and Ive definitely got Yeppoon marked on the calendar next year

Chook, BigTone and plummet like this

13 hours ago, gannet said:

Hehe. I would laugh but that still hurts :) a little a least the rib has stopped clicking when I move.

I probably push myself a little too hard sometimes but without a good adrenalin  fix, life would be a little boring.

It was awesome having our Ozzie brothers here and Ive definitely got Yeppoon marked on the calendar next year

I'm surprised we don't have to chopper people out with the madness that goes down!.... There is some true silliness to be had in those dunes!.

Did any blood reach the sock Pete? or spatter on the ground? Was there instant hospitalization?  If not. Unfortunately it doesn't count as an injury.

Harsh but true.

BigTone likes this

Just a taste of my adventure with the moose bro's.

I'll keep adding to them as I go (as my internet speed is so painful.)

Pete's car (Gannet) while we were stocking up with supplies in Dargaville. Got more than a few looks with 2 (Buggy and kite bike) on the back and 2 more on the top.

P1050861.JPG

Rob's "Ox blood red" Subaru hire car in the background.  

The Toyota is just about sitting on it's suspensions bump stops, I reckon Pete???

IMG_20161013_140919_136.jpg

If you are wondering why Pete's called gannet?? This is his local beach complete with a fantastic gannet colony. Heard he's not too bad at fishing as well. :grin:

P1050848.JPG

This is why you never lend Rob Lukin anything...........he had it at least a whole 5 mins before he bent it.

IMG_20161013_140832_756.jpg

Plummets tools of trade.

P1050869.JPG

Gannet's carbon bug.

P1050874.JPG

This is the buggy I ended up using that I borrowed from Al, @northernal321, as @roblukin cried about it being to big for him. He just wanted to ride Pete's brand new one with suspension all round that Pete had put together for me I reckon. Thanks heaps fellas for the lend of your buggies

P1050872.JPG

More pics later.:good:

More bugs.

P1050870.JPG

Gannets kite bike.

P1050875.JPG

Gannets spare steed.

P1050876.JPG

The buggy that Gannet built for me, Rob used and Gannet later wrote off with his crash into the lake.:eek:

P1050878.JPG

Al @northernal321 with the bugs next morning after BLOODY strong winds and driving rain all night. The wind had eased to a gentle zephyr of over 40 knots here.P1050893.JPG

P1050895.JPG

I have never seen Lukin with so many clothes on in all the time I have known him!!! His attire would have bought back memories of when he was at sea, tuna fishing in Port Lincoln as a young fella I reckon. 

P1050913.JPG

Check the feet out. He had bought steel capped runners just for the occasion. I had never seen him with shoes on before. And yes that's sauce he has spilt on his dry pants while eating.:blush: Cant take ya anywhere bloke without makin' a mess.

P1050901.JPG 

Gannet in the moose traditional tutu!! Wind was blowing like a bastard too. P1050920.JPG

The boys used a driftwood twig to secure the living quarters during the gales. All the tent ropes were eventually attached to plastic bags filled with sand and buried well under the ground to retain the tents in these high winds while they went buggying.

P1050925.JPG

Al with a fairy on a string.

P1050930.JPG

Dave strapping Al's spare buggy on the back for the return trip home.

P1050945.JPG

Perrin...... the master kite fixer.

P1050946.JPG

He made the camper specially for the Moose. I believe he makes a mean pizza too!!

P1050948.JPG

After travelling most of the coast of both of New Zealand's islands and seeing the roads first hand,:eek: I can see why these guys don't tow trailers.

At one spot there was a road "slip" and a rock sitting in the middle of the remaining single lane. It looked just like a brown paper bag sitting there. I thought it would do some damage to other vehicles or a motor bike, so got out and threw it into the bush on the side of the road. I could hear it bouncing down the mountain, crashing through the thick bush for the next 30 seconds or so. I shat myself hearing it's long decent and drove VERY carefully after that.

P1050949.JPG

The honey moon suite!!! :grin:   It was fantastic to meet you both.

P1050866.JPG

Winds up.

P1050884.JPG

That should stop the bugger from blowin' away.

P1050892.JPG

The tents take as much of a hammering as the local lads buggies and kites!!!!

P1050896.JPG

Thanks for a great time fella's.:good: