Sunset Session SSI *VIDEO*

7 posts in this topic

Hey gang, I wanted to share this with you guys here at XK...  As usual, I spent the week after JIBE with the family on Saint Simons Island, GA. Last year, I figured out that I could log some primo time in the buggy seat between the hours of 7:00 pm and 9:00 pm... sunset sessions. The tide is perfect, the beach goers have all gone home except for the stragglers and locals, and East Beach is just as awesome as Jekyll Island as far as hardback and size is concerned. 

I got to know Jim (a Saint Simons local) pretty well at JIBE this year, so he met me a couple of nights, and another local, Johnny showed up every night as well. These have been some of my best unadulterated and uninterrupted sessions in the buggy this year and I caught the last one on video and on GPS... hitting a new PB of 28+mph.

So I invite you to enjoy:

Thanks guys!  

Tiger37, DrWind, IMK and 1 other like this

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about!  Steady onshore breeze, sun going down, wide beach, camelback full of whisky.......awesome session. :good:

Tiger37 likes this

Single malt no doubt!  By the look of that smile at the end I'd say that Camelbak was half empty by the end...

All joking aside, that's a cool-vibing video of what looked like a great session.  I love doing outdoor activities in the day's last light.  Great stuff!

Thanks!.... Those sunset sessions have been some of my best ever... can't wait to try it with a minty fresh 6m Peak :crazypilot:!!!!

windstruck likes this

Hi there great movie love how ya just carving it up 

so is that a nassa kite  & what size? What winds did you have really like how they fly I've been contemplating buy a couple of these  for the light wind days 

On 6/12/2017 at 4:01 AM, Grants said:

Hi there great movie love how ya just carving it up 

so is that a nassa kite  & what size? What winds did you have really like how they fly I've been contemplating buy a couple of these  for the light wind days 

That's a 5.5m NS3. You mention wanting some NASA's for light wind days. Are we talking steady onshore breezes or "janky" inland winds?  I'm asking because while the NS3s come in sizes up to 12.5m they are all two line flyers with a 3rd central line going to the nose which you can use to scrunch up the nose a bit by pulling on the little yellow ball you can see at the center of Spencer's bar in the video. 

If the winds are smooth and predictable then the big boys are fun to fly. In janky wind, however, surges in power on an 8.5, 10.0, and 12.5m NS3 can be a lot to handle in a buggy. Also, if the light winds are janky there are likely drops outs in wind strength happening on a regular basis. In such lulls the big NS3s have a tendency to backstall and even fly backwards. 

I would characterize the 5.5m that Spencer was flying as a medium wind kite. Maybe 12-15mph depending on riding surface and your Need For Speed. 

Grants likes this