Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Toundra

4 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, alf said:

I will stand with my suv.  But with 3 * 150 pu wheels it would certainly kite on grass 

http://www.inlinewarehouse.com/descpage-908181.html

Looks like PowerSlide upgraded their Metropolis SUVs.  They made one noticeable improvement, viz., putting two screws under the heels giving the skate a triangle securement between frames and skates.  Assuming this leaves the boots compatible with standard two pin holes that would be a nice thing.  It actually made me think because the back part of my Nordic Scout frames have a horizontal slot for securing the frame under the heel and I bet I could put two bolts back there and do the same thing.

I have a pair of the SUV 3 x 150x25mm wheels and I'm not a fan for kite skating on grass (or the Ivanpah playa for that matter).  On plush grass the wheels plunge in and the resistance is really high.  On the 40wt sandpaper surface of Ivanpah I supsect these wheels would wear out like pencil erasers if you powered up the kite and went for a rip.  I've become more a fan of wheels of doom style frames and wheel sets with 200x50mm wheels.  They work better in plush grass, and although not yet field tested, I suspect will last longer at Ivanpah.

All that notwithstanding those new skates look at least as nice as their predecessors the venerable Metropolis SUV.  Thanks for the post Alf!

though i've never kite skated, your @windstruck doom wheels seem like the ticket.  the suv style (if that's what they are called) do not look like they would be as stable with being above the wheels and a higher cog.  I've found the same thing with longboard and kite.  While almost all skateboards will work, the best option to provide the lowest cog and highest level of grip (with soft wheels) is a drop through board which puts you lower to the ground "between the trucks" instead of on top of so to speak.

windstruck likes this

2 hours ago, ssayre said:

though i've never kite skated, your @windstruck doom wheels seem like the ticket.  the suv style (if that's what they are called) do not look like they would be as stable with being above the wheels and a higher cog.  I've found the same thing with longboard and kite.  While almost all skateboards will work, the best option to provide the lowest cog and highest level of grip (with soft wheels) is a drop through board which puts you lower to the ground "between the trucks" instead of on top of so to speak.

@ssayre you've got it just right Sean IMHO. Skis are sort of the same in that the base of your foot is nicely positioned relative to your ski's edge giving you a lot of leverage. I'm not saying folks on top of their wheels can't really rip, but things just seem much more stable and powerful when you are slung between the wheels.