Kite foil

125 posts in this topic

Will be interesting to see how this pans out strength and stiffness wise. Might end up being strong enough with the glass layer but perhaps not stiff enough. Still sounds like some fun to make it and then try out the board. Are you making the board from scratch as well .... wood as well?

19 minutes ago, SoutherlyBuster said:

Will be interesting to see how this pans out strength and stiffness wise. Might end up being strong enough with the glass layer but perhaps not stiff enough. Still sounds like some fun to make it and then try out the board. Are you making the board from scratch as well .... wood as well?

Hope to find a cheap directional board otherwise yes I'll make my own.  

https://youtu.be/F54QJGQwUVc

Very cool. Are you using the same plans as they guy in the video or designing your own?

i remember seeing a thread a while ago of someone cutting up an old skateboard deck for a foil wing. It worked too.

With all these DIY boards being built it'll start hurting the big manufactures soon :D 

Juat had a look at EBay sellers site for this board, 125$ for the wooden bits, you do the rest of glassing and assembly, is just the foil, a lot better than 1000$. Saw his video of it in action, works well, reckon there will be a few DIY projects spawned from this. The board would be simple as well.

socommk233 likes this

11 hours ago, andy666 said:

Very cool. Are you using the same plans as they guy in the video or designing your own?

i remember seeing a thread a while ago of someone cutting up an old skateboard deck for a foil wing. It worked too.

With all these DIY boards being built it'll start hurting the big manufactures soon :D 

I spoke to him through email. He gave me some info on sizes so I knew what wood to buy and a place to start. Changed the design as I go but will essentially look very similar. Longer fuselage and different wing shape but nothing radical. Just a make it n see kinda approach.  

9 hours ago, SoutherlyBuster said:

Juat had a look at EBay sellers site for this board, 125$ for the wooden bits, you do the rest of glassing and assembly, is just the foil, a lot better than 1000$. Saw his video of it in action, works well, reckon there will be a few DIY projects spawned from this. The board would be simple as well.

It has cost me £12 so far

A few bits glassed. Not pretty but I lie the idea of an ugly build that works 😉

20161006_102946.jpg

A few bubbles between a layer but I'm not going to the trouble of correcting it, there is epoxy on the wood itself so it'll be sealed. I want to see how it copes and use it as a learning exercise. Turned out very stiff so far. 

SoutherlyBuster, Mez and .Joel like this

Yeah but you get to buy stuff at wholesale cost.... for some of us plebs even a low spec alloy foil is still way to expensive even at second hand prices.

Plus you get way more satisfaction riding something you have build yourself. Particularly if it works real well.

.Joel likes this

I'd buy if I could afford it. Kite buggying is my number one hobby. I need to save for a 15m diablo. So buying a foil is way out of my price range for hobby number 2. 

As plummet said, even second hand cheap foils are not cheap. And if something I build works, I'll be laughing while kiting making real memories. 

20161006_102946.jpg

IMG_20161006_152956.jpg

IMG_20161006_124443.jpg

.Joel likes this

7 hours ago, plummet said:

Make the rear wing aoa adjustable if possible.

All fine n dandy for higher performance and technical build.  But time restraints are against me. The rear wing is an upside down aerofoil with about 2 degrees down. I'm not expecting to get to any speed with thus. Just to get up n learn to balance is the aim. 

17 hours ago, plummet said:

Particularly if it works real well.

That's about 5% of homemade foils.

On 07/10/2016 at 7:54 PM, Jason said:

How many home made foils have you seen? Ride?  Built? 

Wondering where the 5% comes from.  can you quantify 5% with evidence of any sort other than anecdotal? 

IMG_20161007_120536.jpg

IMG_20161007_120919.jpg

Progress after one week. More yet to do. 

.Joel likes this

18 minutes ago, socommk233 said:

How many home made foils have you seen? Ride?  Built? 

Wondering where the 5% comes from. 

A lot of people here (this forum) appear to have so much knowledge that they can spit out numbers and figures and statistics as if their job is in statistical analysis of kites and the use of. (Which I very much doubt) experience from person to person will vary but will never be the true measure of anything. 

So maybe you meant 5% of the home made foils according to your opinion based loosely on never even seen one? 

Used one? 

Someone else's build?

Someone else's failure to ride it? (If they could ride a foil at all) 

What I'm saying is can you quantify 5% with evidence of any sort other than anecdotal? 

IMG_20161007_120536.jpg

IMG_20161007_120919.jpg

Progress after one week. More yet to do. 

They were all home built at some point . . . but unless you've very specific knowledge and skills, they're going to be sub par when compared with many commercial foils.

And if it's your first ride of a foil, you might think it works "really well" if it works at all, and won't know the difference otherwise.

IMO if your goal is light wind free ride fun, the 95% of crappy home builds will do the job nicely. When I was looking at a foil, people kept trying to sell me on high-end carbon jobbies cos the ones I was thinking about were "too slow" and I'd "grow out of it in a couple of sessions". Well, either I'm a fracking slow learner or there's something else wrong with me, cos I'm still loving my slow and out-dated beginner foil...

socommk233 likes this

That's all I'm after. A crappy home build for low wind fun. End of. 

Not saying I won't one day want a top of the range carbon jobbie though ;)

Looks good man. Lets face it super low cost home built foil is way way better than no foil at all if you can't afford the $2k for a production one. That's where i'm at.

Another thought for your foil. Consider a small TT fin on the back. The internet experts state that If there isn't much anhedral/dihedral in the wings you can loose a bit of stability. So.... slapping the TT fin on gives some stability back.

8 hours ago, Jason said:

You have to define works real well though. For me it will be if it I can foil on it without ifi spearing off in silly directions or being really unstable......

Also when you some build. You can add features you want. On the production ones you just have to buy what is available. Mine for example if very strong in the mast/fuse/wing and top plate connections. Stronger than most production models. I therefore will most likely be able to take a few more hits than a standard foil before breaking.

.Joel likes this

6 hours ago, plummet said:

Looks good man. Lets face it super low cost home built foil is way way better than no foil at all if you can't afford the $2k for a production one. That's where i'm at.

Another thought for your foil. Consider a small TT fin on the back. The internet experts state that If there isn't much anhedral/dihedral in the wings you can loose a bit of stability. So.... slapping the TT fin on gives some stability back.

You have to define works real well though. For me it will be if it I can foil on it without ifi spearing off in silly directions or being really unstable......

Also when you some build. You can add features you want. On the production ones you just have to buy what is available. Mine for example if very strong in the mast/fuse/wing and top plate connections. Stronger than most production models. I therefore will most likely be able to take a few more hits than a standard foil before breaking.

So will production foils. It's the board that breaks...

3 hours ago, Kamikuza said:

So will production foils. It's the board that breaks...

No they typically snap at the fin box/plate. That is where the greatest force is. I would share the pictures if have been pm'd showing various brands of snapped foils. But they aren't mine to share.... None the less I received very good advice from a foil builder/repairer. I took that advice and used it to make mine stronger.

Go on with you. I've never heard of foils breaking at the mount, except for that Alpine and it looked well-used, unwashed and routinely abused. Spotz something-model has a reputation for breaking at the fuse/mast joint... Never heard of plates failing.

I've seen four boards "broken" from hitting the bottom, while the foil is undamaged. Three were foam/glass etc, and two first hand.  And one was my LF fish. I hit the water so hard, I had whiplash neck for a couple of days. Bent the fuse and the point of the mast--those masts are softer than they should be :( but kept on riding it just fine. Didn't notice th board til I got back to the beach.

By broken, I mean the skin has cracked, rather than destruction of any sort. It's the way the foil stops but the board keeps going, or hits the water.

The fact is that these guys have gotten off their asses and TRIED.

It seems that is so very easy to sit behind a keyboard and pile shit on people. But whether they work or not, It is the fact that plummet and socomm are actually trying.

Its just a bonus that we get to see pictures of their progress.

sure shop bought stuff works, but should they be limited to buying off the shelf products from a small amount of manufacturers and spend many thousands of dollars doing so ?

If nobody experimented with designs, how would anyone learn what works and what doesn't ?

Good job you guys for trying. also your skills in your hobby are impressive.

I've just been "educating" myself on foil boards on YouTube - good luck @socommk233 with your adventure. It looks like a lot of fun!

On 10/7/2016 at 2:52 AM, socommk233 said:

IMG_20161006_124443.jpg

Excellent craftsmanship - and what a workshop!!!

socommk233 likes this