Kite foil

125 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, plummet said:

Fantastic. Now get out there and begin the month of face planting!

I look forward to it. But strapless to start with. 

Perhaps it works different for foil boards, but when ever I go strapless on the surf board, it is only suitable for very light winds and the kite not too big, otherwise I'm always struggling to keep on the board rather than being lofted off the board. Perhaps that is what the mast is all about on the foil boards, to be able to smooth out the undulations. From what I've heard you fly with much smaller kites on the foil boads. Is very much of an education exercise for me, so please correct me as I stumble my way through.

2 hours ago, SoutherlyBuster said:

Perhaps it works different for foil boards, but when ever I go strapless on the surf board, it is only suitable for very light winds and the kite not too big, otherwise I'm always struggling to keep on the board rather than being lofted off the board. Perhaps that is what the mast is all about on the foil boards, to be able to smooth out the undulations. From what I've heard you fly with much smaller kites on the foil boads. Is very much of an education exercise for me, so please correct me as I stumble my way through.

No idea....lol. I have a quiver of diablos that dont get used so much in summer and i really like low wind kite surfing. Im wondering how low a wind i can get out in.

It's so completely foreign that you crash repeatidly for a good month. Do not want to go through that Phase with straps on. Once up on the foil straps aren't too important until you want to jump or go out in really gusty wind on lumpy water. 

7 hours ago, SoutherlyBuster said:

@socommk233, nice work, keep the cam rolling to share the videos. Is the blue surface some anti-slip surface?

I will be videoing the success or failure. Its a foam padding covering the whole surface. 

SoutherlyBuster likes this

Hm this Clearwater system looks very tempting

http://www.clearwaterfoils.com

especially for someone that likes to build stuff them selves and save a bucket load along the way.

Just had a look at the pricing:

wings and mast 125$

board 170$

shipping 65$

total 360$

Add some for the fibre glass, then some for bolts, say another 40$. Then the straps another 120$. For 520$ not a bad deal.

Anyone here riden one? Comments?

@socommk233 how is yours going?

They also have a youtube channel showing how to make them, no vacuum bagging needed, keep it nice and simple.

12 hours ago, SoutherlyBuster said:

Hm this Clearwater system looks very tempting

http://www.clearwaterfoils.com

especially for someone that likes to build stuff them selves and save a bucket load along the way.

Just had a look at the pricing:

wings and mast 125$

board 170$

shipping 65$

total 360$

Add some for the fibre glass, then some for bolts, say another 40$. Then the straps another 120$. For 520$ not a bad deal.

Anyone here riden one? Comments?

@socommk233 how is yours going?

They also have a youtube channel showing how to make them, no vacuum bagging needed, keep it nice and simple.

Just recently got the balls to give it another go. I had a friend try it out first to get a no nonsense opinion if if i would be wasting my time.

He came back to tell me it was pretty good. The only down side was the board. 

I needca board with some volume as the one i have when the wind drops doesnt allow me to get up without it sinking so stops me getting the forward movement i need. 

So played on it for an hour n a half managed 3ft of foiling on my second session. Success! Lol 

So getting a board with some volume to help. 

@socommk233 thanks for the reply and feed back. So the foil ok, board needs some work. What size kite, foil kite or LE, what wind speed did your friend do the trials on? What size board did you use? Flat water or surf? 

I have made a few solid wood boards over the years, so could make the board my self, choose any size any shape. 

Regards,

Norman

socommk233 likes this

Just go down to Bunnings buy the wood and make one yourself Southerly. It will be a lot cheaper and you have the expertise to design and build. This design doesn't have anhedral on the wings or adjustable aoa on the rear wing. Both features increase stability.

20 hours ago, plummet said:

Just go down to Bunnings buy the wood and make one yourself Southerly. It will be a lot cheaper and you have the expertise to design and build. This design doesn't have anhedral on the wings or adjustable aoa on the rear wing. Both features increase stability.

Thanks @plummet was thinking the same, either way it gets me all fired up on the subject. Whilst we are on the subject of anhedral, on all the wings I have looked at or read about, planes or birds, it causes an instability translating to quicker response but needing more skill to fly. I thought perhaps the anhedral was to avoid the wing breaking the top water surface during heavy up wind tacks, and would allow the rider to be less locked in for rolling action, ie too stiff against roll without anhedral. I have seen commercial designs mostly with anhedral on the front wing, some dead flat. Can see the dihedral on the back wing being benificial for stability though. Or is the front wing anhedral so the rider is less likely to slice a foot with it pointing down instead of up?

On 2017-6-3 at 8:52 PM, SoutherlyBuster said:

@socommk233 thanks for the reply and feed back. So the foil ok, board needs some work. What size kite, foil kite or LE, what wind speed did your friend do the trials on? What size board did you use? Flat water or surf? 

I have made a few solid wood boards over the years, so could make the board my self, choose any size any shape. 

Regards,

Norman

I was using my 10m airush varial x in about 13kts. 

Board was a old skim board...really small. 

Neither flat water or surf but some rolling waves some breaking randomness. 

Foiling isn't a light wind option until you've got some skills. 10m in 13 knots will be hard work...

17 hours ago, SoutherlyBuster said:

Thanks @plummet was thinking the same, either way it gets me all fired up on the subject. Whilst we are on the subject of anhedral, on all the wings I have looked at or read about, planes or birds, it causes an instability translating to quicker response but needing more skill to fly. I thought perhaps the anhedral was to avoid the wing breaking the top water surface during heavy up wind tacks, and would allow the rider to be less locked in for rolling action, ie too stiff against roll without anhedral. I have seen commercial designs mostly with anhedral on the front wing, some dead flat. Can see the dihedral on the back wing being benificial for stability though. Or is the front wing anhedral so the rider is less likely to slice a foot with it pointing down instead of up?

Depends, doesn't it? High wing with anhedral and low wing with dihedral are both stable.

I think you're right about anhedral and surface breaking. And, IMO, wide flat wings roll poorly e.g. the SS HG, while a wing with anhedral and curve (like the Access) actually roll nicely, even though it's wider than the SS. There are a lot of variables . . . but you can have too much stability ;)