Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Video
This is Snowkiting

7 posts in this topic

I just posted this over on PKF. Too good to pass up. What a video!  Up in the northern hemisphere we are just getting geared up. 

I suspect this is in Europe. Not much of this sort of action permitted so close to in bound alpine skiing in the United States. 

Thanks for the post!

5 hours ago, windstruck said:

Not much of this sort of action permitted so close to in bound alpine skiing in the United States. 

@windstruck, what do you mean by "in bound" or is this just a way for the resorts to ensure you pay up, or is it a safety thing, ie lines cutting across down hill riders? Just courious.

16 hours ago, SoutherlyBuster said:

@windstruck, what do you mean by "in bound" or is this just a way for the resorts to ensure you pay up, or is it a safety thing, ie lines cutting across down hill riders? Just courious.

@SoutherlyBuster:  I may actually have misspoken.  "In bounds" is the traditional skiing terrain maintained by a ski resort that skiers (or boarders) access directly from the lifts.  Such terrain, whether groomed or let free is nonetheless patrolled and maintained from a avalanche perspective. Depending on the set up at the particular resort, the land folks are skiing on (and the resort maintains with grooming, patrolling, and blasting (if necessary) for avalanche control) is often leased from the Federal Government.  As such, there are a series of stipulations attached to that lease.  Compounding that is the whole liability issue of a screwball flyer leaving a designated kiting area and entering a skiing area and having some sort of lines cutting, collision thing like you said.

Another term you hear getting kicked around in "ski-speak" is something called "side country".  Side country is terrain that is unpatrolled, ungroomed, and unsupported for avalanche control but is contiguous to a ski resort.  Skiers and boarders often access "side country" by taking the lifts up and then heading out of bounds.  There is often ways to ski in side country such that you can work your way back into the resort lower down depending on the topography of the area.  The ski resort does not assume liability for you in side country, nor will they likely mount a rescue for you if you get in trouble.

Side country is different from"back country" which is ski-able terrain not contiguous with a ski resort.

Long and short, after thinking more about it, I suspect this kiter might have been riding in "side country".  About two hours from my house is a place called Powder Mountain that offers side country access for snowkiters and lets you take their lifts to get to it (I assume for a fee).  I haven't been there but may go this winter.  Higher altitude around here usually means much deeper snow and much broader open terrain, so I suspect this side country snowkiting could be pretty darn fun and a lot less work then having to snowmobile in or skin in for several hours to get to your spot.

SoutherlyBuster likes this