Flysurfer Peak 3

29 posts in this topic

Interesting...saw this on a Russian Flysurfer site but not on the US site yet...

PEAK 3

And the info....

PEAK 3

Встречайте новый PEAK3!

Отличия от PEAK2:

- еще более легкая и прочная конструкция

- улучшены скорость и радиус поворота

- новая линия безопасности Reef

- доставка только кайта

Что осталось прежним?

- разные цвета для разных моделей

- бесплатный гарантийный ремонт

hmmm....let's see if I can google translate that.......

PEAK 3
Meet new PEAK3!

Differences from PEAK2:

- Even more lightweight and durable construction

- Improved speed and turning radius

- A new line of security Reef

- Delivery only kite

What remains the same?

- Different colors for different models

- Free warranty repairs

The 'security Reef' has got me interested.... I can't say that I'm convinced about the way the fifth line splices into a front line on the P2.

And Chris Krug posted this pic on PKF....

Peak3.JPG

windstruck likes this

I admit it can get into a bit of a tangle, but so can a full 5th line safety.

i know first hand though that it's a strong splice. On my first flysurfer kite the front lines stretched so much that I was actually putting all the load on the safety line, and it never failed. 

I have theorized for a long time that a peak 3 would be the shizzel. Hopefully I'm right. I always thought they rushed a second version too quickly after the first. Not saying 1 and 2 aren't great. I certainly loved my peak 1's and have never flown a 2 but figure they will really have the peak as a whole refined in the next version. 

Tiger37 likes this

13 hours ago, jhn.holgate said:

It all bunches up and seems like a crappy splice at times.  It just feels like a half assed solution. :dontknow:

So what's your full-assed solution?

7 hours ago, ssayre said:

I have theorized for a long time

You have too much time on your hands :P  Peak2 was a welcome upgrade from the Peak1, they can't just magically evolve from Peak1 to Peak3.
A lot of people underestimate just how good a kite the Peak2 is, simply because it's a "single skin" many feel they "lack performance."  Here's a short video on the snow.

Tiger37 likes this

Mmmm! Might have to start saving my pennies or sell the odd unused kite gear to prepare for release of Peak3 in Australia!

23 minutes ago, Northern Kites Australia said:

I wish they would make a 15m size and I would be sold

When I was asking lots of questions about the 6m, one of the US owners told me it was comparable in power to his 9m Frenzy..... having felt how much grunt the 6m has got, I can't quite imagine what the 12m must be like.  

12 minutes ago, jhn.holgate said:

When I was asking lots of questions about the 6m, one of the US owners told me it was comparable in power to his 9m Frenzy..... having felt how much grunt the 6m has got, I can't quite imagine what the 12m must be like.  

Yeah I read somewhere the 12m should not be used in winds above 15knots (!!). That's an incredible powerful kite if true, for it's "size". A 15m would be like a 21m in that case, I imagine.

What I don't understand yet fully, is why single-skin foils are so powerful compared to the same size LEI kite. LEI's are single skin kites too, but with ribs/struts. Is it the weight?

2 minutes ago, Northern Kites Australia said:

Is it the weight?

The only thing I can think of is projected area - the Peaks are fairly flat in the air where as the LEI's hold quite a curve - but that's a complete guess.

I'm intrigued by what they are calling their "reef line safety" system.  According to a US dealer it is similar to Ozone's Re-Ride.  The description on the Flysurfer website seems to say that too.  Exciting!

glad to see they are still relatively reasonably priced.  I need 1 or 4 of these.

1 hour ago, ssayre said:

glad to see they are still relatively reasonably priced.  I need 1 or 4 of these.

Bull cookies.  What you need is a 12m P2 and you know just where to get one.:drinks:

Comparison Review translated from a German site -

I flown the PEAK 2 and PEAK 3 from Flysurfer Probe yesterday and compared the two sizes in 12qm.   The PEAK 3 is very similar in its characteristics to the PEAK 2, but it has been improved and fine tuned in many respects. On the first and second glance one realizes in amazement that there has not been much change. The number of cells is the same. The shape very similar, only the Bridle was significantly reduced and changed. But it is the small, almost unimpressive changes that make the performance jump at Peak3.   flutter In direct comparison, the 3 no longer flaps. If the 2er, with pushed forward bar, hunted through the wind window, one felt the cloth flaps clearly at the bar. It always shook it back and forth. That is no more at the 3er.   Barfeeling In general the barfeeling has become more direct and progressive. This means that you can feel every centimeter when pulling the bar (pulling on the dog) you gain an increase in the kite. This was much more spongy at PEAK 2. So he just depends on the gas if you can say that.     To steer The 3er hangs more crisply at the bar and during the steering it is noticeable that the PEAK3 no longer makes these pockets at the tip as seen in the picture below. A loop now feels really flown and not choked. A railing system was installed. When steering, the brake is not only pulled by the cloth, but also the cloth at the tear-off edge tightens somewhat. This has been used for paragliders for a long time. This should be a secret of better handling.     Lowind First we thought the 3er is a lighter cloth but it is the same. The PEAK3 makes more pressure in the past. In direct comparison, you have the feeling in the 2er that energy and energy is lost by the flutter. The 3er cuts more efficiently through the air and converts all the energy into propulsion.   Upwind Here the PEAK3 has a clear nose. It just goes to the wind window edge. In the photo below, we have the kite on 12 stand and stand exactly on its own height. The PEAK2 simply hangs slightly further back.     Safety As Safety there is a new Raffsystem. A rope runs through the kite at the top of the leading edge. When triggering, the kite is gathered from the tips to the center and thus pressureless. Unfortunately, we have not been able to try this because the system was not yet assembled.   So the bottom line is a nice continuous development of the singleskin kite without now any aspect worsened .... what often occurs times with the kiteherstellern.

http://www.landkitekurse.com/single-post/2017/01/12/Flysurfer-PEAK2-vs-PEAK3 

Tiger37 and windstruck like this

9 hours ago, Jason said:

Comparison Review translated from a German site -

I flown the PEAK 2 and PEAK 3 from Flysurfer Probe yesterday and compared the two sizes in 12qm.   The PEAK 3 is very similar in its characteristics to the PEAK 2, but it has been improved and fine tuned in many respects. On the first and second glance one realizes in amazement that there has not been much change. The number of cells is the same. The shape very similar, only the Bridle was significantly reduced and changed. But it is the small, almost unimpressive changes that make the performance jump at Peak3.   flutter In direct comparison, the 3 no longer flaps. If the 2er, with pushed forward bar, hunted through the wind window, one felt the cloth flaps clearly at the bar. It always shook it back and forth. That is no more at the 3er.   Barfeeling In general the barfeeling has become more direct and progressive. This means that you can feel every centimeter when pulling the bar (pulling on the dog) you gain an increase in the kite. This was much more spongy at PEAK 2. So he just depends on the gas if you can say that.     To steer The 3er hangs more crisply at the bar and during the steering it is noticeable that the PEAK3 no longer makes these pockets at the tip as seen in the picture below. A loop now feels really flown and not choked. A railing system was installed. When steering, the brake is not only pulled by the cloth, but also the cloth at the tear-off edge tightens somewhat. This has been used for paragliders for a long time. This should be a secret of better handling.     Lowind First we thought the 3er is a lighter cloth but it is the same. The PEAK3 makes more pressure in the past. In direct comparison, you have the feeling in the 2er that energy and energy is lost by the flutter. The 3er cuts more efficiently through the air and converts all the energy into propulsion.   Upwind Here the PEAK3 has a clear nose. It just goes to the wind window edge. In the photo below, we have the kite on 12 stand and stand exactly on its own height. The PEAK2 simply hangs slightly further back.     Safety As Safety there is a new Raffsystem. A rope runs through the kite at the top of the leading edge. When triggering, the kite is gathered from the tips to the center and thus pressureless. Unfortunately, we have not been able to try this because the system was not yet assembled.   So the bottom line is a nice continuous development of the singleskin kite without now any aspect worsened .... what often occurs times with the kiteherstellern.

http://www.landkitekurse.com/single-post/2017/01/12/Flysurfer-PEAK2-vs-PEAK3 

Grinning ear to ear!  I just sold my entire of quiver of P2s (4m, 6m, 9m, and 12m) and placed an order for some P3s (4m, 6m, and 12m).  I'm thrilled to read this and truly hope my experiences line up with this.  I did not yet order the 9m.  I just didn't use it very much.  It always seemed that for my local conditions it is either blowing very little (12m) or blowing a lot (6m).  Seems rarely to blow sort of medium.  I keep the 4m in reserve for just "those days".  Such days happened for me on Lake Ivanpah a few times and I was darn glad I had the 4m then.  Short of the really high wind option I still think the 6/12 combo makes a darn near complete quiver for buggying.

Tiger37 likes this

5 hours ago, andy666 said:

It looks like it jumps quite well

Note that the kite he was jumping with was the 4m!  I wonder how things would have looked with that same pilot working the 9 or 12m P3s. Whupp!