Safety Helmets

19 posts in this topic

I have been meaning to ask the forum about helmets. At what speed would I need to be travelling to warrant a motorbike crash helmet? As you know, Im not a speed freak and my skill level is nothing like @Chooks but when you think how fast 40km in a car or motorbike is (relevant to the ground) its pretty fast in a land yacht/kite buggy. I wear a 661 bicycle crash helmet at the moment as Im not exceeding speeds faster than a push bike. Its light and comfortable for my neck and it does not effect my peripheral vision.

What are your through EK? 

It's a tricky question.  I think I have the same or similar helmet as you and I feel comfortable in it and reasonably well protected.  I have an open faced motorcycle helmet but I don't feel any more or less 'safe' in it when buggying - but at 100kph on the bitumen, then yeah, I wouldn't trust my cycle helmet.   I think if I was regularly going over 60kph on the beach or chasing 100kph in the buggy, I would most likely upgrade to a full face motorcycle helmet.   Jeff (BigKid on PKF) tells of an accident he had while wearing a full face Motocross style helmet with the extended chin guard on it - the chin guard bit ended up doing him a LOT of damage - I can't remember the details but I seem to remember that part of the helmet ended up breaking his ribs - so I'd be a little wary about that particular type of helmet.  Safety is very much a personal choice, some of us go out with helmet and full body armor and occasionally, some of us ride with no protective gear at all.  Knowing the possible dangers and being informed is vitally important - the rest is a personal decision.

Mez likes this

I have 2 x 661 helmets I bought from Jas at Briskites. One for the buggy and one for the land yacht. The visors are set at different heights.

661-comp-white.gif

It is so light being a BMX helmet (it's not the carbon version I'm not that rich) and has 14 air intakes to keep cool. It has had some pretty nasty wacks and has stood up to the pounding I've given it. I never go out not wearing it. It has saved me quite a few times in high speed flips.

I think they are only rated to 80kmh (not sure how they work that one out) 

The visor on both my helmets is stuck in 5 places with silicone. They need to be set higher so you can still see the kite at the top of the window. This also lets the visor move round a bit when hit without cracking, the screws are just cosmetic now. It also allows me to pack it tightly into a box for post to events with a small kite containing my GPS stuffed inside it.

The lining is removable so you can wash it. They come with a fitting kit of foam inserts (like a bike helmet ) for a perfect fit.The best $100 I have ever spent.

Darren Tibbey, jhn.holgate and Mez like this

Good Topic.  or kite-buggying, I have been using a full face motorbike helmet for some years now and I feel safer in it than without it.

I am using a Protec helmet like this one for roller skating  http://www.skaterhq.com.au/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/1000x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/1/4/146181_4_1.jpg

and I find it a lot lighter, but I'm not sure if there is a speed rating.  Most bicycle helmets are "single crash" usage - because the foam inside them compresses and won't provide the same level of protection (ie compression) in second and subsequent crashes.

Hockey helmets are also used and can have a visor to protect against incoming objects (pucks), but there was a major scandal a year or so ago with manufacturers being called out on price vs protection.

Mez likes this

Down skate board racers use full face helmets. Just a quick google search found this

https://www.daddiesboardshop.com/longboards/helmets

the ones in particular like this

https://www.daddiesboardshop.com/sector-9-the-drift-downhill-division-helmet-yellow

which mention they are good for ventilation. Don't know how good they are for land yachting as your head position is quite different, ie skaters head tilted forward versus yatchies head tilted backwards. But can imagine the peripheral vision should be good and would be very important for board riders. Look very sleek so no danger of the helmet snagging your ribs. Would give you full face protection.

Doing speed runs along Kingston beach (87.1 kms) and my 661 helmet saved my mellon again when I got spanked turning around in gusty winds. Can't recommend wearing a helmet enough. With full armour my only damage  was a very dented pride, two rear big foots pulled off the rims along with a very stiff neck and a thigh that now looks like a crossword puzzle.

nigel, Mez and andy666 like this

the extra weight of a motor cycle helmet could cause neck strain from constantly looking up and around at the kite or sail. Which is why most of us wear lighter mountain bike helmets. They aren't ideal, but better then nothing.

Mez and Chook like this

Good to hear your OK @Chook

As for helmets, I've had a few.

Just replaced about 6 months back, my very old Bell Bellistic, with a new full face Bell Super 2R.

The helmet is very light, and has bucket loads of vents for the hot weather.

The added bonus is the fact the chin bar is removable!!:good:

So if you just want a plain cycle helmet, or it's stinking hot, you can take it off.

Don't know what it's rated to, but as Bell have been in the helmet game for more than a few years, I guess it is quite good.

Bell have just released a new Super 3R with MIPS.

MIPS is where the lining/foam in the helmet is designed to move a bit in the helmet shell during a collision to lessen the impact on the brain, so less chance of being knocked out.  

My only complaint is due to all the vents it whistles a bit, so you think your going fast due to the wind noise, and the GPS says 40!?!?

For speed runs, or if I know I am going faster then 70kph, I have a full face road motorcycle helmet.

It might be heavy, but the advantages in a stack at 90kph over a push bike helmet will be huge.

And if you wear it often enough, you should get used to the weight.

My biggest gripe with any full face helmet, is actually trying to find a selection to try on.

Most stores only have one, or two if your really lucky, and as I have a small head, often not in my size.

It took me about 3 months of checking bike stores around the suburbs to finally find one that fitted.

And please, don't purchase your helmet based on price, brand, or looks. Fit is the only way you should base any purchase on.

As the last thing you want is to have to wear a helmet for 3 to 4 hours that is not comfortable. 

bell-super-2r-helmet-white-EV225163-9000-4.jpg

Mez likes this

While we are talking a out fit, make sure you try it on with the glasses or sun glasses you intend to wear when kiting, was a big issue with my sunnies. Result is you might need to either ditch the helmet or glasses and pick another combo. For me with the wrong selection it resulted in serious pressure points.

On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 8:22 PM, nigel said:

And some pics of the stack please @Chook

@Mez has the crash pics and Doug the results.

When removing the 2 rear wheels to travel home, I've also badly curved the 20mm Hi-tensile bolts on both sides and will need replacing.

nigel and Mez like this

On 28/12/2016 at 8:48 AM, Mez said:

I have been meaning to ask the forum about helmets. At what speed would I need to be travelling to warrant a motorbike crash helmet? As you know, Im not a speed freak and my skill level is nothing like @Chooks but when you think how fast 40km in a car or motorbike is (relevant to the ground) its pretty fast in a land yacht/kite buggy. I wear a 661 bicycle crash helmet at the moment as Im not exceeding speeds faster than a push bike. Its light and comfortable for my neck and it does not effect my peripheral vision.

What are your through EK? 

HI Mez

Its not the speed that is the problem its the sudden stop that causes the injury, 30km and landing on a rock will do a lot of damage to the head.

get something that is rated cycle helmets are a bit flimsy and only offer limited protection. 

terry

Chook and Mez like this

Thanks to everyone who has comment on my question - all advice is taken on board 

8 hours ago, Darren Tibbey said:

Is there a shop in Melb where you can try on a 661 helmet? Or are they all ebay?

Theres a couple - Doug got his helmet from a motorbike store in Cranbourne (out that way) and he was able to try it on.

@igeighty - There are two motor bike stores we've visited in the past, what were their names?

I got my 661 Push-Bike helmet from Yarra Valley Cycles in Lilydale. 

46 minutes ago, Mez said:

Theres a couple - Doug got his helmet from a motorbike store in Cranbourne (out that way) and he was able to try it on.

@igeighty - There are two motor bike stores we've visited in the past, what were their names?

I got my 661 Push-Bike helmet from Yarra Valley Cycles in Lilydale. 

Thanks Mez.

Mez likes this