Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

1050 hp electric vehicle

18 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, windstruck said:

Faster than gravity!  :Oh-shit:

i loved that analogy too, and then i read the youtube rage that ensued afterwards :)

it is an amazing engineering feat, also the tesla sports car. i just do not see the market here in Australia.

The tesla system is a complete package, you get unlimited top ups from teslas 'solar' service stations. but in australia, the electricity is very expensive and still coming from coal fired power stations.

very early days with electrics, i am sure in 20 years, these things will be everywhere.

I'm hopeful that things will work out well in the long run but I'm mixed on current EV. There is a severe "Bambi effect" going on here. A significant portion of the US market for hybrids, EVs, etc are from folks thinking they are somehow helping the environment (setting aside for the moment the status thing).  Assuming for this discussion (and I'm a long way from this) that there is a direct connection with "carbon footprint" and global warming the carbon footprint of an EV today is worse than a comparable combustion vehicle if the complete cradle to grave perspective is taken.  Simply put, the amount of carbon involved in the production and eventual destruction of the batteries far exceeds any conceivable savings from not burning fossil fuels onsite.  As you aptly pointed out much of the world's electricity is generated via fossil fuel combustion, just conveniently not right in with you in the car.

Enough ranting.  :clapping:

andy666 likes this

Depends on the infrastructure. There are many EV charging points here for the PIHV and the pure-EV, but the charge times are still slow. The Tesla one is much faster IIRC but...infrastructure. It's there in the State again IIRC and coming in the UK...

But I'd love an EV car or bike. Mmm, flat torque curves...

Hybrids are everywhere in Japan, EVs like the Leaf are an everyday sight. I think we're ahead of the curve, especially when I go back home and don't see one for weeks.

Have to agree... love the flat torque curve. Love it a lot. With the EV equivalent North of 1000 horses and an acceleration rate that exceeds that of gravity stomping on the accelerator at any sub-max speed has to be an incredible head snapping rush. Better have strong hinges on those front seats; there's going to be some force applied to them!

On 1/6/2017 at 11:53 PM, igeighty said:

it is an amazing engineering feat, also the tesla sports car. i just do not see the market here in Australia.

The tesla system is a complete package, you get unlimited top ups from teslas 'solar' service stations. but in australia, the electricity is very expensive and still coming from coal fired power stations.

very early days with electrics, i am sure in 20 years, these things will be everywhere.

IMHO Elon Musk will go down as the stand-out genius of our time. Not just tesla but Space X, hyperloop, etc

Tesla are now selling the complete plan: 

So if you were starting from scratch, and these things are within your price point, you buy all of those as a system. You bank your electricity generation while optionally making some money selling excess to neighbors on your micro-grid, rather than paying to connect to the normal grid.  You charge your car from your batteries overnight and power your house while not generating as well. Yes, if you do over 450kms in a day you need to top up. But honestly, how many of us do that?

In order to bring prices down to affordable levels, Tesla have various plans in place.

The cars started with the dream models, selling a few in the sports car market and reinvesting earnings in scaling up factory. Working their way down through mid level to volume manufacturing ordinary cars, using profits of previous model to scale up production.

Batteries: They're built a massive battery factory in the desert in america to bring down unit price via mass production on a huge scale.. https://www.tesla.com/en_AU/gigafactory

etc..

windstruck likes this

On 1/7/2017 at 0:53 AM, igeighty said:

but in australia, the electricity is very expensive and still coming from coal fired power stations.

Not in Tassie.

Tassie has all hydro or wind power.

With the current high rates of unemployment in Tassie, a small electric car manufacturer would help no end.

Convert all the Tassie pollie's current vehicles to electric and you have a market to get started. 

igeighty and Kamikuza like this

9 hours ago, .Joel said:

Lightweight.... makes the power go further :good: 

Really nice build........ but one less wheel and then your talking Joel!!:beee:

Kamikuza and Bernie like this

I'm a big fan of bike engines in cars. Also oversize engines of any type really. That vid got me spending hours down the rabbit hole on youtube. 

Came across this one recently.. apparently the new Yaris is the hottest thing in rally driving right now. 1.6ltr, 300hp, tiny car, AWD. Got some freaky anti-lag system so that turbo's always on full boost. Makes it sound amazing on the lift off..  headphones on loud for this one.. 

15 hours ago, KiteStyle said:

I'm a big fan of bike engines in cars. Also oversize engines of any type really. That vid got me spending hours down the rabbit hole on youtube. 

Came across this one recently.. apparently the new Yaris is the hottest thing in rally driving right now. 1.6ltr, 300hp, tiny car, AWD. Got some freaky anti-lag system so that turbo's always on full boost. Makes it sound amazing on the lift off..  headphones on loud for this one.. 

I guess you've seen the mad bastards ego put a Spitfire Merlin and a Bf109 engine into cars?

My fav is still the GSXR1000 engine in a Smart car...

SoutherlyBuster likes this

Dragon Fire uses and old soviet diesel engine rebuilt supercharged on methanol, 7 banks of 6 cylinders in a radial config = 42 cylinders, 147 litres.

Kamikuza likes this

Enough getting carried away going big. I've been really enjoying this guy's vids lately. Weird accent but well researched. They're all worth a watch if you like engines.

ok I'll stop now

SoutherlyBuster likes this