Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Essendon Airport expansion

9 posts in this topic

A friend sent me these pics of the Essendon expansion. Anyone tried it for buggy or land boarding?!

and yes it's open access so I imagine it's doable

IMG_0438.PNG

Is it next to the old airport? Because I think there are some laws about kiting near an airport. 

Yes it is next to the airport. And good luck kiting there. There are laws and also common sense about flying kites around an airport. If I was a student pilot, or a fully licensed one for that matter, I wouldn't want to be distracted by a huge kite making sine waves below me - not knowing where it would be going next. What would happen if you lost control of your kite or had a flyaway near a very busy, high traffic airfield? Why not go and kite at Albert park lake while the Grand Prix is running?

It was just a suggestion. I thought Essendon airport was closed and these expansions would re-open it again later on.

Besides, you could always landkite at the DFO carpark next door! :crazypilot:

On 06/02/2017 at 0:35 PM, Northern Kites Australia said:

you could always landkite at the DFO carpark

or try and land a plane there :)

oh, too soon ?

bakersdozen and Goz like this

On 23/02/2017 at 4:47 PM, igeighty said:

or try and land a plane there :)

oh, too soon ?

Oh dear Doug.....trust you to write something like that....! The smiling face is a bit inappropriate. 

@bakersdozen is indeed correct regarding aviation laws.

CASA state under regulation 101.075, that the operation of an unmanned aircraft (of which Kites fall under) must not fly above an altitude of 400 feet and within 3 nautical miles (5.5km), unless permission is sort if wishing to operate a kite nearer the aerodrome.

You will need to provided a brief description of the kite, which includes it colour, mass and which height it is to be flown at (for each kite you wish to fly)

Kites must also not be flown in such a manner as to create an obstruction to an plane wanting to take off, approach for landing or indeed land on any landing area classified as a runway or emergancy area.

So this would put flying at the DFO carpark a no-no unless permission is granted by the CASA. 

EDIT *****

I just realised that my last sentence may be taken in the wrong perspective - I was not referring to the unfortunate plane crash, but @Northern Kites Australia comment about flying a kite from this location

bakersdozen likes this

2 hours ago, Mez said:

Oh dear Doug.....trust you to write something like that....! The smiling face is a bit inappropriate. 

@bakersdozen is indeed correct regarding aviation laws.

CASA state under regulation 101.075, that the operation of an unmanned aircraft (of which Kites fall under) must not fly above an altitude of 400 feet and within 3 nautical miles (5.5km), unless permission is sort if wishing to operate a kite nearer the aerodrome.

You will need to provided a brief description of the kite, which includes it colour, mass and which height it is to be flown at (for each kite you wish to fly)

Kites must also not be flown in such a manner as to create an obstruction to an plane wanting to take off, approach for landing or indeed land on any landing area classified as a runway or emergancy area.

So this would put flying at the DFO carpark a no-no unless permission is granted by the CASA. 

EDIT *****

I just realised that my last sentence may be taken in the wrong perspective - I was not referring to the unfortunate plane crash, but @Northern Kites Australia comment about flying a kite from this location

Thanks for your very thorough explanation of what the law stipulates @Mez

They don't make this shit up because they are bored.

Mez likes this

4 hours ago, Mez said:

No comment.