Kite Foiling Beginner Questions

12 posts in this topic

Hi, what are people's experiences with kite foiling. From the little I've read it lets you get out in lighter winds. Is this the case or do lighter winds  just become messy in the lulls.  Also, for learning I take it something like the slingshot with the different mast heights is the way to go. In terms of kite will a wave/freeride style tube kite be fine. 

Thanks. 

Yes, but it depends. If you're pushing the bottom end, just be prepared to self rescue and swim. Otherwise, so long as you can keep the kite in the air, you can ride.

Different length mast system helps, but you only get a few hours out of each stage. IMO a 3/4-size mast (600mm) and a full-length will be better value. Keep the 600mm for shallow water.

The SS aluminum foil is very heavy. . . .

Some kites just work better, as usual you'll have to find out what you like.

andy666 likes this

@Kamikuza what all up weight of board and foil is reasonable? I know "reasonable" is a very loose description ... . Any I've been window shopping and so far the J Shapes board from NZ seems the best value for money, see https://www.jshapes.com/collections/all/products/board-and-foil-package , well a couple of days ago looked like a good deal, was going for $2000 now the price has hiked, hmm perhaps back to making my own. Still would like to know what a good start weight target is.

Some manufacturers give the weights for their high end boards, like the 4k$ package but the cheaper boards they leave off the weight, hmm perhaps there is a reason for that.

Up to you :D

I got really sick of carrying the SS HoverGlide across the road and down the beach; tucked under my arm, it got really heavy after a few minutes. You notice it less on the water, but you do notice it. IIRC the foil alone was 8kg, 2 more than the LF. Which is also considered heavy :D I think even some aluminum foil and board combos are getting under 6kg.

Shame, cos I like the SS boards a lot . . .

I'm waiting impatiently for the new Axis aluminum foil, which I got to ride the prototype of when I was in Chch in Feb. It was very, very good freeride kit and after the SS and even the LF which I took back, I was shocked at how light it was!

If that was $2000 for the carbon jobbie, you should have jumped on it :D

I used the LF 3 or 4 times, at the estuary and north and south beach. The estuary sucked as even at full tide with a 90cm mast, you had to stick to the channel or you grounded out. The beach was fun but that's the kind of riding I like.

Borrowed a new friends Double Agent which saved a couple of sessions, so I appreciated that. It was acceptable in the weight department, fun to ride but low top speed and power hungry.

Foil improves grin factor in 3 areas. 

Light wind. I can use a 8m lei in 10 knots. 

Crazy upwind opens up new areas to ride.

shit house chop locations become smooth as a babies bum!

rep wave style lei is ideal for foil. 

Kamikuza likes this

On 20 April 2017 at 5:46 PM, Kamikuza said:

I'm waiting impatiently for the new Axis aluminum foil, which I got to ride the prototype of when I was in Chch in Feb. It was very, very good freeride kit and after the SS and even the LF which I took back, I was shocked at how light it was!

If that was $2000 for the carbon jobbie, you should have jumped on it :D

I had a look at the Axis foil/boards, 4 k$ NZ and that was only after talking to the owner, their resellers do not advertise price. A lot to fork out. That's more dollars than I ever spent on a single kite. I guess their argument is you don't need as many kites.

There's a nice Moses Vorace going for $2000 on the breeze. If you want a full carbon fast stable strong foil for 2k, half new price and well looked after, I'd be considering that one. 

4 hours ago, SoutherlyBuster said:

I had a look at the Axis foil/boards, 4 k$ NZ and that was only after talking to the owner, their resellers do not advertise price. A lot to fork out. That's more dollars than I ever spent on a single kite. I guess their argument is you don't need as many kites.

Those will be the carbon ones -- the aluminum one isn't on the website yet, and production is due to be finished any day now. I have pics, but don't know if I can share them. The pricing will be almost the same as the Slingshot set up.

10 hours ago, SoutherlyBuster said:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/a.aspx?id=1308477596

7 hours ago, Kamikuza said:

Board only, no foil

I noticed, like a flash in the pan, all other gear he sells are sups and surf boards, interesting look though.