Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Basalt Fiber Buggy Parts

5 posts in this topic

Some interesting work by Ate Eilander, working with Basalt Fiber to create new axles and parts.  There's a bit lost in translation between us, however he's shared some other pictures in his gallery listed below of trials/errors as he's refined the wall thickness etc working with some as light as 1mm.  He's testing Basalt Fiber in place of Carbon around seeing how much bounce one absorbs vs the other and returning the energy after absorption.

basalt_fiber_kite_buggy_axle_002.jpg

basalt_fiber_kite_buggy_axle_001.jpg

basalt_fiber_kite_buggy_axle_003.jpg

basalt_fiber_kite_buggy_axle_004.jpg

You can see more of Ate's work here using both Basalt and Carbon: https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipMoW7og07eBnvHc7HjwXgZYBIDLf7v-Yx2-czldR0EULsG6fG1jKt-MIZngemXvQA?key=NFJLYlR2cGpxM3hydkkwdjFZR1ZQZk5zRzQ3QlBR 

Goz, Chook and igeighty like this

Interesting design for a buggy axle, will be interesting to see how it holds up over time. I would imagine there will be a fair amount of stress on the bolts and plates where it attaches to the side rails.

Hello,

i am the builder of the axle.only thing that was breaking is were the tubes glue to the bloks  hope this axle will not have this problem . this design came after making a wing shape axle this looked easier ........ now i know it is not .

to make axle stiffer you can put tubes (carbon , glasfiber,basalt ) in the existing tubes.    

Chook and .Joel like this