Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

What would you prefere? Depowerkites

16 posts in this topic

Hello,

I took the decision to sell my set of MG Mumba and get to depower. (Still for sale, if somebody is interested, pm me)

So i got some kites, which could be the next one. Because of the Budget for the first time One Kite sollution. (Poor student :) )

The Kites:

Sonic Fr, Ozone Chrono/ R1 (v1), Elf joker 5/6 and the Paraavis gvx.

Which one would you prefere?Why?Which size for the ONE kite?

It would be really nice to hear your experience with these kites, jopefully it makes my decision easyer :)

Greethings

I would buy a Sonic FR only if you want an upper body work out. The bar pressure is HUGE compared to the very light touch of an R1 or Chrono!!!

Started with a 7mtr R1 and now have an 11m2 R1  and 15mtr Chrono2, which covers most winds for me here on the South coast of Western Australia. My 7m2 is my go too kite for 90% of my buggying.

My 9m2 Flysurfer Sonic FR, has only been flown a couple of times.

I have Ozone 7, 11 and 15, too. My most used size is the 11.

I never tried them, but I heard that Elf and Paraavis are more difficult to fly than Ozone and Flysurfer. Not the first choice for a depower beginner. If you want to compete with other riders, go for the Sonic or R1. The Chrono V1 is a little bit slower, but cheaper. Specially in case of the Chrono V1, check the lenght of the bridlelines - they always make trouble. The price for a new, better bridle (the thick bridlelines of the V2) is around USD 200. If you prefer easy handling and more stability instead of maximum speed try to get a Chrono V2 or a Speed5.

6 hours ago, Chook said:

I would buy a Sonic FR only if you want an upper body work out. The bar pressure is HUGE compared to the very light touch of an R1 or Chrono!!

Er...What?

2 hours ago, Kamikuza said:

Er...What?

After I fly my 11mtr R1 and then jump straight onto my 9mtr Sonic, it's a huge shock just how heavy the bar is on the Sonic. Sorry but it's Chalk and cheese.

The R1 is much more responsive to small inputs too. A bit more depower when you bar out too. You can totally kill the pull instantly, where as the Sonic seems to die off more slowly.

2 hours ago, Juan Valdez said:

If you prefer easy handling and more stability instead of maximum speed try to get a Chrono V2

I totally agree!!!! The Chrono 2 is a much milder mannered kite, doesn't tip tuck if you sometimes get it wrong and doesn't pull as far forward in the window, compared to the R1. I haven't flown a Speed 5.

Never noticed that with the 18m FR and 2. Maybe it's a small size thing...or you've trimmed them different. 

Hmmm, i wrote with the teamrider of Paraavis... the gvx pro should be better as the r1v1. The  performance of the gvx should increased, especialy on downwind.

Hmm the sonic looked very nice to me, not as difficult for me. If the barpressure is a bit higher it shoulf be good, so you get a better response from the kite?

Any negative aspects of the Sonic fr?

A friend for me rode the r1v1 and said that this kite got a too high ar, so the tips are not very stable... 

Hmmm if the chrono is the right thing for me...i dont know...

Depends what you are wanting to do in the buggy and the normal wind speeds you fly in.

I haven't flown any of the other kites you mention, but the 7m r1 is a really nice kite. I've flown @Chook's in as little as 8 knots and up to 20 knots. But @gannet says that it can easily be flown in 30+ knots. I found it to be very stable and always felt very in control. the light bar pressure isn't an issue either. It's got just enough that you can easily feel where the kite is in the window.

I thought more about a R1 in 11mtr. 

Think a 7m would be a bit small.

The average winds on.my.Spot are around 12ktn. 

I like the Chrono's as I can kitebike  and kitesurf in the same session without chancing kites, bar pressure is perfect light enough to kite all day :)

Blackjack, I would be using my 13m  in 12 knots for the buggy, but if I was going to kitesurf as well, I would use my 18m Chrono, Airtime :)  (I don't have a 15m ) and use the trimmer to depower it for landkiting.

12 hours ago, plummet said:

If not racing lei's are the shiz for higher winds. 

Yip,  over 30 knots LEI time for no stress fun. Over 45 knots 4m UNO, unless you want a speed recond then it would be a 6m R1 and a tube of no more nails to glue your balls down

3 hours ago, gannet said:

I like the Chrono's as I can kitebike  and kitesurf in the same session without chancing kites, bar pressure is perfect light enough to kite all day :)

Blackjack, I would be using my 13m  in 12 knots for the buggy, but if I was going to kitesurf as well, I would use my 18m Chrono, Airtime :)  (I don't have a 15m ) and use the trimmer to depower it for landkiting.

Yip,  over 30 knots LEI time for no stress fun. Over 45 knots 4m UNO, unless you want a speed recond then it would be a 6m R1 and a tube of no more nails to glue your balls down

Hehe. Yep. I'd also add lei I'd oh for awesome i the dunes. 

Depower race kite for light winds and speeeeeeeeeeed. 

Used my 4m uno once! Waiting for those. Winter storms to roll in!

Hey guys,

Now a 11m F1 Diablo entered the list of opportunities....the chrono and gvx went out.

So R1 11m , sonic fr 11, elf joker 5 11 and 11m diablo are in.

Did you have some negative aspects of the kites named?

I heard that the joker should.be digfficult to.fly and the r1 should have unstable tips.hope you can help.me.out :)

They will all be difficult if you are not used to high aspect depower foil.

Just buy the least used best condition cheapest kite amongst your list and go fly it, You wont know the difference between them anyway. They will all be good. Its just a matter of get the lowest cost least used unit.

As a 1 kite i did go for a 11m Fone diablo.

I now have 3. Superb kites. Out of the v1s imho the best of the bunch. Infact im able to beat people on v2 sonics and r1s.  

And 2 of mine are second hand. 

Fone made sizes 1m either side so 12m would be spot on too. 10m not so for the lower end though. 

I believe joel has one for sale at a very good price too. 

Ozones have a tendancy to tiptuck...less so the newer you go but they all do it. 

Sonics are great kites, bar feel felt vague in light winds for me. 

Pl aeros are good kites woth no nasty habits and are proving to be very fast.