People's plans for Speed week 2017???

26 posts in this topic

Hi All,

Just some quick musings.

I don't know how many have had a look at the tides for Speed week, but they don't look very good.

High tide for each day is Sat. @ 12:10pm, Sun. @ 1:07pm, Mon. @  2:01pm, and Tues. @ 2:51pm

Another option which we all might want to consider, is the Grand final long weekend on the 29-30th of Sept, and the 1st of Oct.

The tides for this weekend look great with the Low tides on Fri. @ 11:46 am, Sat. @ 12:28pm, and Sun. (day light savings adjusted) @ 2:16pm.

So what are peoples thoughts?

I was considering missing Speed week, and hitting Sandy Point for the footy long weekend instead.

If there are a few interested, how many would need houses, who's doing day trips, and who's camping? 

I guess it will be peak rates for the caravan parks on the footy weekend.

Im in for the grand final weekend.

We will camp at sandy point caravan park seeing as we loved it so much last time.

Mez likes this

3 hours ago, Darren Tibbey said:

We will camp at sandy point caravan park seeing as we loved it so much last time.

I hear the Shallow Inlet one is much better, comes with a full weekend of after-hours entertainment :picknose:

Mez, bakersdozen and igeighty like this

1 minute ago, .Joel said:

I hear the Shallow Inlet one is much better, comes with a full weekend of after-hours entertainment :picknose:

I heard that too, from reputable sources! 

Mez, igeighty and .Joel like this

11 hours ago, SoutherlyBuster said:

image.jpg

I think you mixed up high tide with low tide or am I missing something?

Melbourne cup is on the first Tuesday in November. That's the 7th this year.

So you need to check the tides for the 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th of November.

19 hours ago, bakersdozen said:

I heard that too, from reputable sources! 

Reputable sources - :blush:

On 10/05/2017 at 0:43 AM, nigel said:

I would rather pay a little more to be in a camp site than put up with what we did at El Cheap-O

3 hours ago, Mez said:

Reputable sources - :blush:

I would rather pay a little more to be in a camp site than put up with what we did at El Cheap-O

So Sandy point or Waratah bay?

They could all be noisy grandfinal weekend.

On 10/05/2017 at 0:43 AM, nigel said:

Hi All,

Just some quick musings.

I don't know how many have had a look at the tides for Speed week, but they don't look very good.

High tide for each day is Sat. @ 12:10pm, Sun. @ 1:07pm, Mon. @  2:01pm, and Tues. @ 2:51pm

Another option which we all might want to consider, is the Grand final long weekend on the 29-30th of Sept, and the 1st of Oct.

The tides for this weekend look great with the Low tides on Fri. @ 11:46 am, Sat. @ 12:28pm, and Sun. (day light savings adjusted) @ 2:16pm.

So what are peoples thoughts?

I was considering missing Speed week, and hitting Sandy Point for the footy long weekend instead.

If there are a few interested, how many would need houses, who's doing day trips, and who's camping? 

Sounds good to me. Will either join a house group or bring the caravan down depending on comparing costs. 

@nigel Whats the weeks after the Grand Final Weekend look like tide wise? It would be quieter all round. Its School Half Term from 23rd September until the 8th October (which will mean its probably crazy busy/booked up already)

Tiger37 likes this

On 2017-5-12 at 9:35 AM, Mez said:

@nigel Whats the weeks after the Grand Final Weekend look like tide wise? It would be quieter all round. Its School Half Term from 23rd September until the 8th October (which will mean its probably crazy busy/booked up already)

It the place still busy that time of year? It will be freezing down there then wont it?

3 minutes ago, Darren Tibbey said:

It the place still busy that time of year? It will be freezing down there then wont it?

Cold? I'll just turn up the heating.....

@andy666 @Chook @roblukin ^^ :D 

Marie and I will come down for the selected week and will stay in the Foster caravan park. 

We spent a week at the Sandy Point caravan park in 2009 and 2010 during the Grand Final weekend. It was about the same level of camp activity as the Melbourne Cup weekend and it can be cold or not, just the usual Spring weather.

Regarding which weekend, it depends on which Joel selects. The big BBQ evening is an important part of the celebrations.....

ie, I go for the food.

Looking forward to catching up with everyone

Michael

SoutherlyBuster and Tiger37 like this

Zac and I still reminis about the great feast had at these events, pleantly to eat and the quality is tops -- there is no need to quietly put the food under the table and have macas afterwards.

Mez and mik333 like this

9 hours ago, .Joel said:

Cold? I'll just turn up the heating.....

@andy666 @Chook @roblukin ^^ :D 

Yeh you arsehole...............Joel has 4 seasons in his year..............all dialed in at 18 degrees irrespective of the outside temperature!!!!:upyours:

We all now suffer from chilblains fella. :aggressive:

.Joel and Mez like this

We've camped at the beginning of September (when we got the trailer) wasn't too bad but then it is canvas and off the ground. It can only get warmer as the month goes on. 

Darren Tibbey likes this

Any time is good. just sing out and I will be there.

whether it be for the day or a stay. 

I plan on being there, am hoping my shoulder is good enough to kite, if not it will be good just to catch up with everyone. Ill be camping in my van in the yard of one of the houses like usual. im not fussed which weekend we go.. 

2 hours ago, Darren Tibbey said:

You might need to speak to @.Joel about camping at the houses. @roblukin

It's the same every year