Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

WANTED - Kite-surfing equipment

20 posts in this topic

i will like to start kite-surfing and for mi high and weight i need a 20-25 M kite, lines and bar and the belt large or extra-large. i prefer a seat harness but that is not important now.

Let see if i have luck somebody to sell something like this,thank you 

If you truely need a 20 to 25 square meter kite, that is a mighty huge kite and in the hands of an inexperience pilot you could serieously injure your self and others.  I would suggest you start out with a much smaller kite especially if yoou are learning, perhaps some where near 10 to 11 square meters. Your height is not important, your weight is. So how heavy are you?

210 Lbs and here in Midwest, Lake Michigan the hardest wins are around 20 Mph so...i agree i do not have experience on board but i fly quads and i already trained a surfer friend to fly a Liquid Force Solo 17.5 m. Trust me 4-5 lines bars are a lot more easy then 2 handles. to stay on the board i will have some problems not with the kite

So doing the math, assuming a 10m^2 kite for 20 knots, a 105 kg rider needs a 15 m^2 kite, not a huge 25. Quadies versus kite - big difference. I fly both kites and remote controlled gliders; my son kites, quadies and remote controlled gliders -- there is a big difference between flying all three. By quadies I mean quadcopters, or are you referring to quad line foil kites steered with handles? Welcome to the EK.

thank you for info. yes i fly quad kites Revolution and power foils quads like Beamer and Peter Lynn. lets downgrade then from 20 to 15 m 

20mph is only 17 knots. If that's a max, you'll want a 17m kite and a big board (door TT) or maybe bigger, especially if you're beginner.

i know the video you send me and that guy is really a big asshole. probably i will do the same mistakes like him but for sure on to an empty spot.Flying quads kites i know how is to tangle others persons lines and how badly they burn and cut.

to understand the right wind condition here in Midwest i will tell you a real story. at one of the Chicago kites festivals years back some East and West coast fly teams come to perform a team synchron ballet but...is a problem here in Chicago with Michigan Lake. winds are not constants, are having gusts from 0 to 15 instantly. Is not all, the wind is shifting most of the time from 90 to 180 degree. do you think is all ? no is not, is change the vector, now are descending next second are ascending. long story short that two top teams barely flayed. invited to the show was a local team to and they not just perform great but they make the festival to go on all day long. from that moment wee have a pride and is a real one and wee say " if you fly in Midwest winds you may fly anywhere in any conditions".

from that i assume i had recommendation for that 20-25 m kite and a board 140 with 45 at least

I never get sick of watching that video. I wonder if his blonde handler is still handling?! :blind:

Hmm, handling a 20 to 25 m^2 kite in 0 to 15 knot wind especially for someone that has not handled a kite bigger than a couple of square meters, sounds like an accident waiting to happen. Good luck with finding a suitable kite. 

Kamikuza likes this

On 5/15/2017 at 6:08 PM, Darren Tibbey said:

As long as there is Vid evidence all good.

There is, let me see if I can find it . . . someone new to the sport trying to launch a 20m kite, getting yarded all over the beach.

Went a bit like this: 

Also note the kiter on L plates was not wearing a helmet either, was instructed by some one who did not have a clue a out kites and their safety systems -- some important lessons there. When you are learning, and launching from the land put on a helmet, when you are learning get instruction from some one who is an experienced kiter, understand how to operate and when to operate the kite safety systems. Thanks Kamikuza, nothing like some graphic evidence to get the point across.

i assume everybody looking at video 1 know were is the biggest mistake excluding the wind conditions. the one saying is just the wind still have to learn. just lunching, go overhead and landing that kite in that wind conditions is not hard if you have the knowledge of what you do and how to use the wind window.

video 2 is overconfidence and showoff 

slingshot 12 m, slingshot 17 m, Cabrinha quick link bar 64 cm with 25 m lines, Cabrinha CBL 144 x 43 cm board, Dakine storm seat harness are on this moment the tools. 25 m Gaastra is on hold for now.

i will keep you inform by progress and thank you for support 

Yeah, but if it's really gusty, that won't help, especially if you freak out and loop the kite. Or something goes wrong, like a tip wrap.

Why do you have a Cab bar for the Slingshot kites?! 

That 25m Gaastra is going to be ancient, isn't it? I wouldn't bother simply on that account. It'll just be a massive truck that'll pull you downwind and probably have nasty leaking bladders. And it'll take months to pump it up.

14 hours ago, SoutherlyBuster said:

Thanks Kamikuza, nothing like some graphic evidence to get the point across.

Are you being sarcastic? 

is a problem with Cab bar ? i chose this because is 64 cm,lines are new and is simple to use. Actually the Gaastra is in perfect condition (bladders and canopy) and with a 2.9 L pump will take less then half time then a 12 m and regular pump. owner is playing here in Michigan lake and is 6,2 with 220 Lbs using a 145 X 45 cm board. I see him run that kite when everybody take a maintenance day 

9 hours ago, Kamikuza said:

Yeah, but if it's really gusty, that won't help, especially if you freak out and loop the kite. Or something goes wrong, like a tip wrap.

Why do you have a Cab bar for the Slingshot kites?! 

That 25m Gaastra is going to be ancient, isn't it? I wouldn't bother simply on that account. It'll just be a massive truck that'll pull you downwind and probably have nasty leaking bladders. And it'll take months to pump it up.

Are you being sarcastic? 

Not being sarcastic. 

Kamikuza likes this

10 hours ago, Edmond Dragut said:

is a problem with Cab bar ? i chose this because is 64 cm,lines are new and is simple to use. Actually the Gaastra is in perfect condition (bladders and canopy) and with a 2.9 L pump will take less then half time then a 12 m and regular pump. owner is playing here in Michigan lake and is 6,2 with 220 Lbs using a 145 X 45 cm board. I see him run that kite when everybody take a maintenance day 

It's not a Slingshot bar :D Quicklink is the 2012 or so bar? Mini-fifth safety? I'd make sure that it's long enough for the SS kites, pretty sure they use the whole front line to flag. 64cm is huge for a 12m too. And my OCD twitches at using non-matching bar and kite. The SS bar is particularly good too.

How about if I pump the 12 with the 2.9L pump? :D I'd rather run a foil board and a 10 kite than fly the massive brutes any more, but I did the same thing when I was beginning too. Gusts are going to be punishing though . . . just a warning.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0