Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

7 mtr Nasa star

11 posts in this topic

What's the largest one of these available? I want to transition from lei to foils on light wind days but still be able to dump the power when needed 

They make a 12.5. That would be interesting to try. Think Joels Dad has the 8.5. And a 10 is available as well.

Grants likes this

On 5/17/2017 at 4:09 AM, Grants said:

What's the largest one of these available? I want to transition from lei to foils on light wind days but still be able to dump the power when needed 

@Darren Tibbey - glad you are enjoying the NS3s.  These are great kites.  I've owned the following NS3s:  1.5, 2.5, 3.2, 4.0, 5.5, 7.0, 8.5, 10.0, and 12.5m.  I've used all of them for buggy riding flown from B-K's three line bar harnessed in.  Also flown the four smallest on handles with z-bridles.  I sold or gave away all but my smallest four.  Depending on your wind conditions the larger (8.5-12.5) can be a whole lot of kite to handle in gusty, so-called janky winds.  If you are getting ocean breezes this may be a different picture as all of my large NS3 flying was done in mountain fields with shifty winds.  These l-a-r-g-e FB NASAs really create a huge amount of power when the wind picks up.  Couple this with the fact that NS3s by their nature sit deep in the wind window so it is easy to get pulled sideways with them when getting overpowered.  I would not rely on the third line going to the nose to meaningfully scrub power.

I also own B-Ks newest LS2s and think they are absolutely great SS DP solutions if SS and DP are your thing.  For me I'd be looking at DP for large kites if your winds are at all gusty since you won't be able to throttle back with a large FB very effectively.

Good luck and have fun!

Grants and BigTone like this

Thanks for your info @windstruck i have the 1.5 just ordered the 2.5,  4.0 and 7. 

I won the 5.5 longstar in a comp thanks to XK and Born kites. And plan to from here go to a 9.5LS from here. John Holgate has the 9.5LS now he tells me so hoping to get fly of that at some point.

I bought the Nasa's as an introduction to depowers. Mainly because my son is 7 years old and is now tandem buggying with me. I also have fixed bridle Boras but found that my son was too scared when i used them. Especially when a gust hit and we took off. The Nasas really ride these well just a nice constant pull as long as your not to big i guess.

Once he is a little bigger will give the Nasa's to him and use the longstars for myself. So will hit Joel up for a few more.

So far we are loving them. 

windstruck and Grants like this

Cool, my son learnt on a home made nasa NPW5 0.75 m^2 many years ago when he was 5 years olds. We still use it for a laugh when the winds are blowing 80 km/hr, flies like a cut snake then :) .

Darren Tibbey likes this

I have the only known. 12.5 ns3 in North America that I'm aware of. @windstruck gave it to me very generously. I foolishly tried launching in 15 mph winds on the first flight. That lasted less then a second before I was tossed and released the kite. It's one angry kite if you disrespect it. 

11 hours ago, Darren Tibbey said:

Got any pics? @ssayre

How about some videos?

In this last video you really get a sense of the size of this beast from 2:30 to 2:40.  As @ssayre noted you need to take this kite seriously.  The larger NS3s will spank you in winds that are too high for your setup, skills, etc.  This 12.5m NS3 really is a stump puller.

Here are a couple with the 10.0m NS3!

Darren Tibbey and BigTone like this