Slingshot NF2 rear foil hole spacings

11 posts in this topic

Hi All , 

i have been hooked into this hydrofoil thing and being me decided to "make" a hydrofoil rig , in this case i'm heavily relying on people with some skills outside mine but its going ok so far. The time has come to finish my own rig and as a fallback i would like to be able to fit a slingshot NF2 rear wing if mine arent as i had hoped or more likely i bust one.  Can someone measure the hole diameter and hole centres of the nf2 rear foil screw holes and post up here ?  Much appreciated :)  

just for interest sake here is some of the progress with all of it at about the 1/2 way mark at present.. still heaps to do .  yes its heavy, but so am i , yes the board is large but 160AUD and full carbon by the looks and only 50cm wide ill live with it , the foil shapes arent quite there,  but I hand shaped them from a flat foam template supplied by a mate with a sanding block and craft knife.   For now im having heaps of fun riding budget foils behind a boat and learning , if my whole plan goes south there is always a production foil, i have recently ridden some really nice Armstrong preproduction ones that put ours well down the list but bang for buck is still there atm for my budget approach. 

2017-05-15 16.04.59.jpg

2017-05-04 06.37.38-4.jpeg

2017-05-04 06.37.38-3.jpeg

andy666, nigel and SoutherlyBuster like this

Looks like a good start!

The NF2 rear wind has a curved lower surface so sits in a shaped "spacer", that also forms an aerodynamic tail piece for the fuselage. Can't remember the bolt spacing, but I'm sure they'll answer if you message them . . .

The front wing is massively heavy and goes OVER the fuselage, so you won't be able to match the front with the rear without some extra work.

Shop around for spares as the prices vary wildly eg. the SS plate and mast is about half the price of the Naish/LF unit, but the wings are about the same IIRC. There's always mantafoils/thekitefoil.com too: https://www.mantafoils.com/e-shop/Parts-c12087150

EDIT: I see the rear wing and shim are quite cheap. . . .
http://www.realwatersports.com/kiteboarding/kiteboards/foilboards?p=1

Those foils are quite high aspect .. im keen on medium aspect and yep the slingshot has a cowling over the back of the front wing but it doesn't alter the wing shape , only the transition. I'm a fan of their simple integration but it adds a little complexity to the build. The wood foil kits for 125 seem pretty accessible and fun. Definitely tempting on the rear foil at 99 and 19 for foil and foil bed so you can see why it's a solid fallback plan :)

Check out the Alpine Access -- it's high AR but feels like a nice freeride foil, rolls nicely and has a soft lift profile (my jargon). Higher AR than the SS foil, but not as aggressive lift and less locked in a straight line. So AR isn't as all-deciding as I thought it was...but I can't comment on the Manta foils. 

Zeeko foils are supposed to be very good free ride, and the Carver wing is higher AR than the LF wings so that may be something to look at too.

Axis is real close to releasing it's aluminum and G10 foil too. By the time you add up the prices for parts and shipping, you might be most of the way towards a complete foil anyway...?

You probably don't need the shim -- you could shape one by hand or use the bondo trick.

oh cool , i know Ardian to talk to and have a few Axis Ld boards of different vintages , im def a fan .   Yes it could get out of hand quickly :) 

i know what you mean about the aspect , its frontal area vs thickness to cope with a wider span vs glide forever ratio .  Im optimistic about my hand shaped front foil and like my chances .  these guys are all about budget foiling and show that anything can fly if its nicely balanced http://www.clearwaterfoils.com/ .  i have a looksee at the other brands you suggested too .   i only need the shim because i have no idea what the stock aoa is for the rear slingshot wing ;) 

Aoa makes a big difference..some people can't even ride the same rig as others properly with different Aoa's to what they prefer. I'd like to stick to std though and live with it 

3 hours ago, Jimmy22 said:

Aoa makes a big difference..some people can't even ride the same rig as others properly with different Aoa's to what they prefer. I'd like to stick to std though and live with it 

I put that down to unfortunate design on DIY kite and . . . poor form :D I read a lot of people saying they stand with their back foot in front of the mast, and that's the only way they can manage the foil :o I've ridden the same foils so otherwise I wouldn't be cheeky enough to suggest poor form. Not that I'm saying I'm perfect, mind . . .

30mm c/c is the answer and i think 6mm diameter holes, countersunk, i finally found one to measure :)  .  

pros will run different aoa on the same rig so it seems riding style has an impact .  im hoping to learn with my feet equally balanced and tune the aoa to suit me with that goal in mind , maybe all this theory will go out the window but so far the theories have been spot on in regard to aoa and strength required so hopefully on the right track all round .  

18641858_10156043309583238_1785214835_o.jpg

Capturehhhh.JPG

SoutherlyBuster likes this