Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Sewing Machine Options

9 posts in this topic

Following sewing machine ideas in the fighter kites thread, I thought I would mention my purchases. In 2016, I purchased  Siruba light industrial machine through Gumtree. It ran way too fast, so I experimented with different pulley sizes and altered power arm lengths. Still too fast. Through Sewingmachinesaustralia.com.au, I bought a servo motor, which is absolutely magic. Small and light, easy to fit and totally silent. ie once turned on, a red light glows and that's it. As you press the pedal, you have total control over speed and the only sound is the needle mechanism clicking away. This is linked to a needle synchroniser, so that any time you lift away from the pedal, the needle always stops in the down position and will only lift up when you kick backwards on the pedal. Combined with a knee operated foot lifter, you are totally hands free to control the materials used. I got a heavy duty kit to enable sewing of webbing, shade cloth, leather etc.

I'm a very happy camper and recommend SMA. Great people to deal with and unlimited follow up.

Michael

image.jpeg

10 hours ago, mik333 said:

Following sewing machine ideas in the fighter kites thread, I thought I would mention my purchases. In 2016, I purchased  Siruba light industrial machine through Gumtree. It ran way too fast, so I experimented with different pulley sizes and altered power arm lengths. Still too fast. Through Sewingmachinesaustralia.com.au, I bought a servo motor, which is absolutely magic. Small and light, easy to fit and totally silent. ie once turned on, a red light glows and that's it. As you press the pedal, you have total control over speed and the only sound is the needle mechanism clicking away. This is linked to a needle synchroniser, so that any time you lift away from the pedal, the needle always stops in the down position and will only lift up when you kick backwards on the pedal. Combined with a knee operated foot lifter, you are totally hands free to control the materials used. I got a heavy duty kit to enable sewing of webbing, shade cloth, leather etc.

I'm a very happy camper and recommend SMA. Great people to deal with and unlimited follow up.

Michael

image.jpeg

What are you making with the machine Mick?

Totally agree on the servo motor!  I converted our machines to servo motors about 4 years ago - the best modification we ever did.

Nearly all servo motors on the market come out of China - many from the same factory, just with different branding stickers.  If you're willing to buy direct (ebay, etc.) you can pick them up for around the $200 mark.  Money well spent

nigel likes this

I bought a Singer industrial machine in the early 70's and as a street rodder, made early Ford roadster roofs, seat upholstery, leather jacket repairs etc. The Singer died last year, so I bought the Siruba.

Currently I do caravan annexes, shade sails to suit specific shapes and areas, general repairs and any buggy seat fixes. Could go back to smaller needles and make kites again as I have lots of ripstop.

The servo motor is a Ho Hsing G60 from SMA. Cost $400 and included the needle synchroniser. When I installed it and had the light showing, it made no motor sounds, so I rang SMA and the techie said, "have you tried pushing the pedal?". Of course it was fine and provided some laughs.

Michael

That's brilliant!!!!:good: 

I retimed my machine yesterday as I was having the odd needle strike on wide zigzag. It wasn't out by much to bugger it up, so more looking round to find the top tension was wound up so tight it was deflecting the needle on 10 layers of dacron.

That's what happens when a mate uses your machine to stitch up the downhaul on his windsurfer sail.:eek: