Born-Kite StreetStar

22 posts in this topic

Interesting new kite concept fron the venerable Steffen Born, a single skin DP kite flown with one hand from one handle with only bridle lines. In email conversation with Steffen he let me know that good propulsion in limited (narrow) spaces was on critical design requirement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fNn3SR_vXc

From Steffen:  It`s a single skin depower kite with a one-hand control, without additional lines. Ideal for street kiting. It will be available from August in the sizes 2.0m, 4.0m and 6.0m.

I absolutely love how Steffen continues to innovate.  I'm a huge fan of his NS3s and LS2s and it appears that he has created another most interesting kite, purpose built for a unique application. 

Darren Tibbey, IMK, BigTone and 1 other like this

Looks like another one of Steffens winners there. Easy bar set up too. Window looks amazing as well. I know a few people who will be very interested in this kite. 

Tiger37 and windstruck like this

That control system looks like one used in the 90's by a European kite ski manufacturer. I will have to look them up.

You twist the bar and rock it for control. They were large foils with bridling only.

Michael

windstruck likes this

2 hours ago, alf said:

Could be used as sup kite

Thé bar reminds paraskiflex bar

I had to look up a paraskiflex bar as I wasn't familiar with it. A YouTube video popped in the search featuring a NS2.  I see exactly what you're talking about. 

Interesting concept. For riders of uni-directionals, spend a lot of time riding one handed anyway like when going toe side, using the other hand for extra balance control and just plain puts less twist on your spine.

BigTone and windstruck like this

I love it.  the mainstream kite manufacturers are competing with each other for the same customer base.  Meanwhile in Steffenville :D he continues to innovate for the niche street kite market and doesn't care what the other manufacturers do.  I would love to try this one out.

5 hours ago, speed rider said:

Just on the facebook page of BORN-KITE fresh colors for the StreetStar discovered.

This "video" (collection of still photos) really gives you the chance to see how Steffen worked the bridling. Good stuff!

Hop it will be  possible tp use thé kite  with long lines to

7 hours ago, Northern Kites Australia said:

And the price?

According to Steffen these will be available in August. I've not yet seen any prices, nor are they listed on his website. 

Ok, I can see the appeal for guys who street kite. Being able to steer one handed would be handy.

but why would you bother with depower? At most it has 100mm of depower throw, which is FA depower. But the biggest reason the depower is a waste of time is that the kite has to be flown on the bridle alone (or extremely short lines as shown in the video), so the kite spends about 0.5 seconds in the power zone as it crosses the window. Any longer lines and the steering function won't work. Plus you fly so under powered when street kiting, why do you really need depower?

id love to see someone try to hold on to that handle if they were fully powered :D 

Id love to give this a go with a dirt scooter. 1 hand on the kite, 1 on the scooter. With all the freeways with bike trails these days these could be gold. Kite to work. Wind pending of course. Could be great fun. Good on Steffen for giving something different a go.

windstruck likes this