Moose Meet details

32 posts in this topic

Info is available here:

http://www.kiteworks.co.nz/Targets/upcoming events.htm

But to save a click....

2017 Moose Meet
We will meet 27.7km south of Glinks Gully on Baylys Beach.
GPS 36°17'49.93"S 174°0'49.52"E
GPS -36.2972028 ,174.0137555
5th - 8th of October
Low tides are
Thursday 4:06 pm
Friday 4:46 pm - Full Moon
Saturday 5:27 pm
Sunday 6:10 pm

Jase Shepperd and Grants like this

Thanks big tone 

@BigTone is there  any one who would lease a couple of buggys to a couple guys from Australia we are interested in the moose meet but freight of used buggys might be a issue for us we could maybe send a couple of buggys down and bring tyres in or luggage ? Any info on who to contact ? 

Hi

I only have two spare buggy at the mo and one has been booked for the Moosemeet by Dan.

The second a Ozone stealth buggy is my sons, I'll  check if he is going to the Moosemeet this year.

I also have some spare parts, big foot lights , suspension rear axle, seat .

I'll put the word to see if anyone has a spare buggy or parts

Thanks we could send some down any help would. Be great il make contact with freight company and see if we can send them we are worried that customs will reject tyre on rims due to seeds and dirt into NZ

thanks again 

Hi @Grants 

As @plummet and @gannethave already said - Also talk to @Chook about shipping stuff over - he knows the ins and outs of the customs issues as well from last year and not getting stung GST on your own gear. I have a set of Bigfoot lights and wheels spare but no spare buggy sorry.  Be great to have some Aussies over again.

Grants likes this

We will put feelers out to chook 

@Chook hi mate what's the go with freighting buggys to NZ apparently you know about it we are thinking of doing moose meet in October any info would be greatly appreciated cheers 

@Grants when we moved from Oz to NZ, we had to not only declare what we brought but how we cleaned the items, imcluding cars and landboards. I popped the tires off all of my landboards, removed all seeds, sand and dirt; then assembled them again pumping up to normal pressure; all this declared for the customs to read; all went through without any trouble. Kites received the same treatment, I was very particular to remove seeds from the velcro straps, inspected the internal spaces of the kites to make sure all seeds removed, again all stated on the declaration, all kites went through without hassle. Don't forget your kiting harness and body guards, they great traps for seeds -- after I cleaned these they looked like new :)

Hey @Chook did you do similar for your recent holiday?

Grants likes this

Hi fellas.

Yeh I did clean everything so it was absolutely spot on as far as my 7mtr & 11mtr R1's, armour, helmet, shin pads wet weather clothing and declared it all. The cost of sending a buggy was horrendous and I borrowed one in the end from Al @northernal321 as the buggy @gannet built for me to use fitted Rob Lukin better and he stole it for Moose.

I really stuffed up and I still owe Wayne and @gannet a huge thankyou for sorting out the hassle of getting gear into and then back out of NZ.

My local post office said everything had to be valued at new price even though I'd purchased secondhand. Then on sending them to NZ, customs wouldn't release them till the 15% GST was paid (NZ $799) and a $50 customs inspection fee. After a lot of correspondence and emails it was sorted out by Wayne.

The way to do it is apply for a "Temporary import request" from NZ customs as an "International competitor" as all gear will be returned to Australia. This would need to happen soon as there is a delay in processing to get it there in time. It took 6 weeks after posting from here to get my gear cleared by customs. My stuffup. So get the forms to streamline everything.

They only took 3 days to post from Esperance to Auckland. I posted it to Wayne's personal address in Auckland and Pete @gannet collected it for me from there.

After all the hassles that Wayne sorted out for me the box wasn't even opened going either way by both countries customs. Getting my gear out of NZ was so simple and I was only asked if it contained guns or batteries and to list everything in the box. I'd kept all the import forms and letters and this helped everything along. It was a 10 minute process at a postal shop south of Auckland.

Moose was very challenging on my skills, bloody cold and blew it's tits off..................but I would do it all again in less than a heart beat!!!!! The Moose brothers are simply brilliant. Yeh crazy, but bloody fantastic fellas. The dunes are unreal to ride and the lakes not too deep. I tested most of their depths in the buggy. The beach is outstanding!!!! 

Anne my wife stayed at Dargaville at the caravan park in a chalet and drove all over the North Island while I was away.

Hope this helps and never say no...............it is an event not to be missed.

BigTone likes this

Ok cheers guys we will start a plan of attack 

licences ? Entry fee ? Kiting assoation? 

1 minute ago, Grants said:

Not required. Hire a 4wd. Drive down the beach and camp in the dunes and kite for 4-5 days.

Grants likes this

2 hours ago, Grants said:

Travel insurance with sporting accidents cover. 

And bring your best Hawaiian shirt 

as they stand out when night buggying,

Actually they just stand out anywhere 😃

Chook, BigTone, Mez and 1 other like this

Hey just thinking,  @plummet didn't you just pay for more flight baggage to Aust on your Yeppoon trip and save all the stress.

That's another idea I'm going to call qantas ask about golf bag put all in a golf. Bag as some will let you travel with certain sports goods for charge other than that book the bag a seat I've seen music people travel with huge instruments 

Yeah travel insurance for sure 

Night buggy . So glad we are not the only ones doing it yeah  full moon oh yes 

gannet likes this

When I went to Yeppoon I paid $50 each way for an extra bag of max 23kg. I fitted my stuff into a bike box. I took hydrofoil, and kites, No buggy.

Maybe if you can fashion your buggy frame/axle as extra luggage and borrow some wheels over here. I know Chook and Rob missed their buggies when at the moose. As stated its pretty hard core. So if you are riding equipment you are used to then it will be easier to learn the ways of the dunes!

The South island PL guys have a system where they can fit there buggies as additional bags on the plane.

Grants likes this

I traveled with Qantas 30 kg each way NZ to Yeppoon and left my kitebike at my Dad place in Yeppoon for next year 😃

I put the call out for spare buggys in NZ and there are about 4 buggys here that people willing to let you guys use.

Most of them are the smaller PL type tho. Al has the bigger buggy that Chook used.

I know what's like using someone else's  buggy it's like borrowing someone else's underpants! they just don't fit as nice as your own 😅

They are enough bigfoot wheels here, so you dont need to bring them

SoutherlyBuster and Grants like this

Cheers @gannet I'm still waiting for qantas to let me know but if there's rims and tyres in nz we might try bring our buggys over as extra baggage Jase is away so we will catch up and make a plan asap 

And when you fly go Air New Zealand.................they make Qantas look pretty ordinary, this is coming from a true blue Aussie too.

They went over and above for us going both ways. Perth/Auckland Jumbo 747-400, return Auckland/Perth Dreamliner 787-9. Anne bought a 6 string ukulele in Dunedin and they put it in the cabin crew personal locker to protect it. 

To post my 17kg box of gear cost A$109 Esperance to Auckland one way so the extra baggage sounds a MUCH better idea. Thanks @plummet@gannet.

Grants and Mez like this

Yeah but make sure you've weighed all your cases before you check in. They checked in our suitcases so they were gone, then moaned that the last one was -- I shit you not -- 500g over the limit. Had to pull it all to bits and put it in the carry-on :rolleyes: Not the first time that's happened either.

I loathe travel in to or out of (or within) NZ because of the petty martinets who run the check in counters.

Grants likes this

Curious question... why is it called the Moose meet?