Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Ozone Hyperlink V1 2017

15 posts in this topic

Ozone have released a new kite that crosses over Open Cell and Closed Cell foils.

With an innovative valve design it can be ridden on the water, snow and land safely, as a Closed Cell or Open Cell kite.

https://ozonekites.com/products/water-kites/hyperlink-v1/

Hyperlink-change-mode-1a.jpg Hyperlink-change-mode-2.jpg Hyperlink-change-mode-3.jpg

The design brief was outrageous -

Not it wasn't.... but it's an interesting idea ;) 

Darren Tibbey and nigel like this

I wonder if the ozone marketing team believe half the shit they dribble :rofl: 

truely innovative and the first kite to bridge the gap between foil and inflato? It a mid aspect closed cell foil! Ozone are not the first to do this (flysurfer psycho, hq neo...), but it seems all kitesurfers know about is high aspect race foils. Probably because that's all the big names have offered them so far :fool: 

I'm not sure why they needed to reinvent the wheel though, by having open and closed cell option? Yes an open cell foil will have more power then a similar size closed cell and inflate instantly at launch. But this has 7? open cells, which will do virtually nothing different to having the cells "closed"

but people will buy it because, lets face it, one of the best things ozone do is marketing :D 

SoutherlyBuster and Kamikuza like this

Hmm ya but no but ... didn't see any thing they did with the kite that Zac and I are not already doing now with our FlySurfers. Was hoping for an explanation of the purpose of the open versus closed -- their design intent, hm well nothing but marketing hype. Maybe its the only way they can sell to the LEI die hards :popcorm1:.

I believe open cell is desirable for quick pack down when snow kiting. Kite to the top of the hill quick land and pack up snowboard down again. 

So they are appealing to the kitesurf/snow kite crew who want open cell in the snow and closed on the water. 

The rest is typical marketing drivel!

PS I don't see why an open cell would have more power. The only difference I see is fast launch land vs water relaunch. The closes cell will be better in gusts too as it wont get the wind punched out of it and it will hold its shape better. 

3 hours ago, plummet said:

I believe open cell is desirable for quick pack down when snow kiting. Kite to the top of the hill quick land and pack up snowboard down again. 

So they are appealing to the kitesurf/snow kite crew who want open cell in the snow and closed on the water. 

With only 7 open cells, you you acheive nearly the same quick pack down with a closed cell by simply flying it with the deflate valve open :D 

On 7/11/2017 at 7:19 AM, andy666 said:

but it seems all kitesurfers know about is high aspect race foils

That's because they are the shizzle, fo rizzle

andy666 likes this

Definitely over the top with the marketing.... but hey so is every single other brand. Seen Slingshots latest campaign?? Makes Ozones marketing seem vanilla.

Have a 9m demo in Sydney if anyone wants to try and I believe Steve sent a 12m to Jason? 

And this years OZONE PIMP CHAMPION is.........

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Kamikuza likes this

2 hours ago, andy666 said:

Jeff possesses more kiting knowledge in a small piece of chewed-off finger nail than you could possibly achieve in your whole life.
Carry on...

15 minutes ago, .Joel said:

Jeff possesses more kiting knowledge in a small piece of chewed-off finger nail than you could possibly achieve in your whole life.
Carry on...

Doesn't mean he can't be a massive pimp for Ozone. An outrageous pimp, even! I mean, do we really need a 7 minute video about a feature that nobody actually asked for?

2 hours ago, andy666 said:

Beat out Steve by an outrageous whisker

As somebody who would actually buy this kite I think it's awesome...

i currently Have 7m FRENZY and all my larger sizes are closed cell so I can use on the water for foiling.

The 5th line and open cell of the frenzy combined with design/features of chrono's etc equals "Do it all".

Until now, unless you can afford to buy both open and closed cell kites you pretty much have to choose what model will work the best most of the time and make compromise for the other situation.

If I could open the cells of my ChronoV2 and add a 5th line for the snow I 100% would.

Good work Ozone!

If you have ever tried to pack down a large closed cell kite in the snow, usually on a sketchy/windy ridge top you would also appreciate the 5th line and open cells.

I LOVE the frenzy, but can't justify buying something I can't really use on the water in larger sizes.. 

Now with the hyperlink you get those features and can still use on the water for foiling.

The real question is, when can I demo one in Australia. (Please please please please).

Id like to compare the 12m to my 13m chronoV2UL  

IMG_4651.JPG

So there's one :D

Now I wonder how the European snow kiters have managed this long... Outrageous!

PS Gunnar on kiteforum has reviewed