Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Inflatable single line kite

13 posts in this topic

If wanting to build inflatable single line kites, where would someone start?

I have mostly built flat spar kites to date and a couple of flowforms, but now want to build some larger inflatable stuff. 

What should l do first? Nothing to hard to sew is good for me for starters.

You've already tackled flowforms, so what do you mean by inflatable stuff?  You mean things like owls, fish, octopus, etc?

I got a kit from Rob Van Weirs for one of his fish.  While I am a real novice with a sewing machine, I managed to build most of it with someone friendly advise from someone that can use a sewing machine. 

When I say build most of it, I ran out of time during the weekend that we were making stuff and has sat in the shed for a few years now. @KaoS I know I am slack!!!

Darren Tibbey likes this

27 minutes ago, spotter said:

I got a kit from Rob Van Weirs for one of his fish.  While I am a real novice with a sewing machine, I managed to build most of it with someone friendly advise from someone that can use a sewing machine. 

When I say build most of it, I ran out of time during the weekend that we were making stuff and has sat in the shed for a few years now. @KaoS I know I am slack!!!

Still not finished??? <smacks palm on forehead!>

2 hours ago, Darren Tibbey said:

That what im after things like that.

The only open source designs I'm aware of are Bernhard Dingwerth's http://www.drachenbernhard.de/bauplaene.html

These are good plans, especially if you scroll all the way down to the bottom of each link  to the English translations.  A great starting point!

Most other makers I know have built a small prototype of what they want, then scaled it up massively.  The hardest part isn't the cutting out and sewing together - it is bridling satisfactorily.  These days a lot of the inflatables generate lift, BUT don't fly by themselves, but are stabilised by using Pilots. 

Rolf Zimmerman developed his Owl kites from a stuffed toy he found at a festival in the UK.  Bought it, took it home and tore it apart, then scaled up the panels and went from there.  Not the stupidest idea by any means!

3 minutes ago, KaoS said:

The only open source designs I'm aware of are Bernhard Dingwerth's http://www.drachenbernhard.de/bauplaene.html

These are good plans, especially if you scroll all the way down to the bottom of each link  to the English translations.  A great starting point!

Most other makers I know have built a small prototype of what they want, then scaled it up massively.  The hardest part isn't the cutting out and sewing together - it is bridling satisfactorily.  These days a lot of the inflatables generate lift, BUT don't fly by themselves, but are stabilised by using Pilots. 

Rolf Zimmerman developed his Owl kites from a stuffed toy he found at a festival in the UK.  Bought it, took it home and tore it apart, then scaled up the panels and went from there.  Not the stupidest idea by any means!

Thanks Kevin wealth of knowledge as always.🖒

Just get one of the original PL ARC kites, put a long 4 way bridle to the tips and instant single line!!

5 minutes ago, Jason said:

Just get one of the original PL ARC kites, put a long 4 way bridle to the tips and instant single line!!

I have seen that. I like it but not alot.

I dont like it.😉