Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

No more pandora

5 posts in this topic

Man, sorry to hear this. A good friend of mine (Mike Herring) was just forced out as the company President along with the founder who was acting CEO and on the board.  Pandora has been hemorrhaging cash for several years now and they were just bought out by Sirius (satellite radio guys) and there are a ton of changes. My friend and team were unable to make the overall business profitable and I suspect their losses were particularly acute in smaller markets like yours.

Shame, but many companies copied the essence of their engine and they quickly lost their uniqueness. My son is a musician and has always hated it. I like it but my son hates all my reasons. Go figure. 

Anyway, sorry to see you loosing a service you like. 

Really going to miss Pandora, I was a paid subscriber to the service for the simple reason that I enjoyed it and wanted them to hang around.  I genuinely discovered more music just letting Pandora play in the background whilst I worked vs Apple Music or Spotify.  Here's to a final two weeks of great random playlists :good: 

I'm going to guess a large part of why they couldn't reach profitability is that their free product was just so damn good.  However advertising revenue wouldn't of been adequate to maintain the payments on all songs streamed.  Advertising dollar has moved significantly the past 5 years, Pandora is just a higher-profile outcome of what's generally happening to advertiser dependent content producers at the moment.

windstruck, andy666, mik333 and 1 other like this

We have a paid Spotify account in the house that I share with my wife. It's pretty good but I can't compare with Pandora, I always thought they were pretty similar. I guess they'll do better now with one (non-apple) service getting all the paid subscriptions? 

I use Soundcloud more but I fear they're struggling along the same way, one step from financial collapse. 

http://variety.com/2017/music/news/soundcloud-has-enough-money-to-survive-only-50-days-report-claims-1202494582/

I would pay but a/ I'm not sure they'll survive and b/ they (purposefully?) don't let you search or filter on track length in the app - I'm only interested in 1hr+ mixes on soundcloud. Unmixed dance tracks are pretty annoying as they have long sparse intro/outro's that are meant to be mixed over.. plus they tend to release numerous remixes so you get 4 of the same thing in a row..

I also use tunein (free version) for streaming SomaFM, DI, and SBS Chill and Double J. Plus lots of obscure internet radio stations for blues, dub, etc It's pretty good but plenty of ads which are mostly irrelevant seppo stuff.

Upsetting for Pandora and Soundcloud and their dedicated staff members. I always wondered how the balance between paid and free versions, over the years, would eventually take its toll. For whom the bell tolls.