32 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Darren Tibbey said:

Looking at yours @KaoS did you reinforced the opening?

Yes.  I sewed triangles of 4oz dacron tape about 15mm in from the edge at each of the bridle points.  Then I did a double fold hem all the way around the front of the snout with 500 lb dacron cord inside the hem.

Most Spikes I've seen have a tendency to sit upside down because the small amount of extra fabric in the eye panels is heavy enough to make the "top" of Spike heavier than the bottom.  To overcome this on mine, I sewed a small zip pocket to the bottom most seam on the inside.  After experimenting with different amounts of weight, I ended up leaving a small bag of rice in the pocket.  Now our Spike always reverts to standing right way up.

6 minutes ago, KaoS said:

Yes.  I sewed triangles of 4oz dacron tape about 15mm in from the edge at each of the bridle points.  Then I did a double fold hem all the way around the front of the snout with 500 lb dacron cord inside the hem.

Thanks will beef mine up.

By the way, once you've finished it and have it tethered out, small kids and their parents will flock to it.  Couple of things to consider...

1. Kids pull awfully hard on the spikes if you let them - even if you don't let them, they still try.  The spikes will rip (or rip off) fairly easily regardless of how well you sew them on.  That's not because you can't sew very well, it's because of the mass of Spike.
My Spike is 3 metres diameter.  The fabric weighs about 10 kg.  The air inside it when fully inflated weighs about 14 kg.  Imagine a sack of , say, dog food that weighs about 24 kg... and imagine you've sewn a spike on the side.  Now a ten y.o boy comes along and gives it a sharp tug.  The sack stays where it is, the spike in his hand doesn't...

2. As I've just shown you, the mass of Spike can be considerable - in my case, over 20kg.
  An enthusiastic Mum lets her toddler run up to Spike just as the wind changes and Spike rolls toward the toddler.  Even though Spike deforms and "feels" soft, he will bowl an unsuspecting adult over.  You can imagine how much damage he can do to a small child.  I know, I've seen it happen.

10 minutes ago, KaoS said:

By the way, once you've finished it and have it tethered out, small kids and their parents will flock to it.  Couple of things to consider...

1. Kids pull awfully hard on the spikes if you let them - even if you don't let them, they still try.  The spikes will rip (or rip off) fairly easily regardless of how well you sew them on.  That's not because you can't sew very well, it's because of the mass of Spike.
My Spike is 3 metres diameter.  The fabric weighs about 10 kg.  The air inside it when fully inflated weighs about 14 kg.  Imagine a sack of , say, dog food that weighs about 24 kg... and imagine you've sewn a spike on the side.  Now a ten y.o boy comes along and gives it a sharp tug.  The sack stays where it is, the spike in his hand doesn't...

2. As I've just shown you, the mass of Spike can be considerable - in my case, over 20kg.
  An enthusiastic Mum lets her toddler run up to Spike just as the wind changes and Spike rolls toward the toddler.  Even though Spike deforms and "feels" soft, he will bowl an unsuspecting adult over.  You can imagine how much damage he can do to a small child.  I know, I've seen it happen.

Ok that stuff l didnt consider. So torn spikes and knocked over everyone. Will now be careful where and when l use it. Maybe make a few extra spikes for the inevitable. Thanks Kevin.

On 8/10/2017 at 10:31 PM, KaoS said:

I wonder if you would be better off just to use velcro to attach them??

This way they can still require a reasonable amount of force to remove (depends on the amount of velcro), yet will not damage, should it happen?