Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Axis aluminum foil

7 posts in this topic

Rode the prototype in NZ and liked it a lot. Also lighter than my old set ups, so that's nice. Can't wait to get it out on the water...but naturally, the wind isn't co-operating :(

Thanks to Adrian for hooking me up with an early delivery! :D

IMG_2715.jpg

IMG_2716.jpg

Shiny :) 

So is the entire assembly is alloy? It looks like mast is welded to the bottom wing?

Aluminum foil and G10 wings. 

Not welded, the fuse/mast hole is recessed.

The red is awesome, pics don't do it justice!

andy666 likes this

Looks amazing though I wonder if sharks go for blood red. .  Probably won't be able to catch you regardless. 

That looks sweet! Anyone know what the price is going to be?

There's a couple of new foils that are priced pretty nicely, like the new North foil and the Shinn.

SoutherlyBuster likes this

8 hours ago, KiteStyle said:

That looks sweet! Anyone know what the price is going to be?

There's a couple of new foils that are priced pretty nicely, like the new North foil and the Shinn.

IIRC it's priced just above the Slingshot... Maybe $100 more for the Axis foil and the board was maybe $200 more than a small Dwarfcraft. The Axis Ride board is full carbon though, and the set weighs at least 2kg less than the SS. Yes it matters 😂 and the Axis is a better product... Different ride of course though do it'll depend what you want.

I actually weighed it the other day: 

Axis foil 3.0kg Ride board 3.8kg incl straps

SS foil 5.2kg (!) DC 54" 3.8 excl straps and it's a smaller board

Feels like all the weight on the SS foil is at the end; when carrying it the extra 2.2kg is noticeable.

Been out on it twice now, yesterday and today.

Tried the recommended setting of "in the middle of the rail" and it was too twitchy for me; sensitive to pitch trim and I hadn't set the straps loose enough, so I wasn't jamming my foot in the straps: they were too close to the edge and roll trim was off.

Today, I set the foil back in the tracks a little more and opened up the straps, and it was almost perfect. Smooth, agile and without vices.

I was out on the 18m Sonic and the wind picked up . . . had to make a speed run downwind to bleed power in the kite and just kept going faster and faster, without a twitch. At the low speed end, can be held to almost zero board speed, when the foil just drops off in the stall.

There's a wave/extra large wing in the works, looking forward to trying that for swell surfing.

So, good free ride aluminum foil, highly recommended. Well worth the money over LF and SS IMO, although the Ride board is big enough that normal weight foil riders could probably do with a smaller board for powered riding.

SoutherlyBuster likes this