Sign in to follow this  
buggy1452

Rob comes to 7 Mile

Last Friday 7 mile turned on ideal conditions for buggying, wind was onshore ENE/ESE 6/16knts with 20M of hard pack and 11 km of beach. Runs from Geroa to Shoalhaven Heads were possible.

JD and I met up with Rob Lukin at Geroa. Rob has such focus working tenaciously to achieve his goals against such strong odds, never expecting to be cut any slack and graciously accepting assistance when offered. His patient resource could only endear him to anyone he meets. The conditions were not ideal for Rob using his 5M kite but with occasional assistance from a passing buggier he left the beach fairly well lit up and probably slept soundly.

When the breeze was closer to 6 knts he could be seen zooming back and forth with a grin from ear to ear but when it gusted to 16 knots he could be seen racing to the back of the beach unable to lift the kite back to the zenith and ultimately bogged in the soft sand with a kite down in the weeds. If left to his own devices he would roll out of the buggy crawl to the kite and bring it back to the beach then crawling behind the buggy push it back to the hard pack, roll back into the buggy relaunch the kite and off again.

It was enlightening just to watch him, he has learnt a number of resourceful strategies to deal with his slow response and restricted movement. He positions the buggy with the wind at his back and the kite directly down wind so that when he launches seated in the buggy as he has to and if the wind changes as the kite rises to the zenith he can go which ever way it takes him until he can bring the kite under control and choose which way he wants to go.

For JD and I the conditions were ideal 11 km by 20M of hard pack and about 4 people on the beach. I flew my new 5M Pansh 'First' for the first time in the buggy and JD flew a 10M Flysurfer Speed ( I think 1.5). Now I have to take this opportunity to gloat as I don't get the opportunity very often. The Pansh First turned out to be a formidable power plant in 10/15 knts as I was able to pass JD going in the opposite direction turn behind him and round him up within about 2 km and draw away. To ensure it was not a fluke and to rub it in a bit I did it again.

This session proved to be one that will be talked about in the future for Robs dogged determination to make the most of an opportunity and his unwillingness to let adversity stand in the way of experiencing what gives him pleasure and our memories of an ideal session on 7mile.

Rob is slowly making his way back to SA and is always on the lookout for a buggy session, so make him welcome as he travels south.

Ya beat me to it Marty

Rob truely is an inspiration to what determination can achieve ... :hatsoff: to you Rob

Shame the wind didn't play for another run today.

post-3737-14336629274976_thumb.jpg

post-3737-14336629276536_thumb.jpg

I do have some video footage that I will throw together and show Rob at his best :yes3:

JD

Unfortunately it did bump the ground and stop, but nothing Rob didn't take to long to relaunch.

As for the bystander Norms' right she was a long way off.

JD