Sign in to follow this  
andy666

Ute canopy

Well the new canopy on my ute is finally finished and I wanted to show it off ;)

A lot more work then I thought it was going to be, but part of that is because of how it is designed and because I'm a bit OCD.

All the metal work I did myself, then got a local trimmer to cover it in marine canvas.

8e2dabd8b82ad0e68c698bbb746e4ab8.jpg

7d806eba85445d65ab2da20aee4fca9b.jpg

ffaa3d64c74cfecd2c2464c58fa9a61f.jpg

The cage is bolted together and can be broken down into panels, rather then being completely welded and only able to be removed as one piece, so takes up less room in the garage.

Because it's separate pieces it can be set up in a few different ways.

Open tray

+ rear roll bar

+ corner stringers

+ cage roof and canvas.

+ cage sides

Had its first test today, went to the beach and left some kites locked in the canopy. When I got back an hour later they were still there. Win! :D

That should work nicely at keeping the kites from roaming Andy, you could also use it as a paddy wagon if you catch the thieving bastards. :D

Nice bit of work the OCD has paid off. :good:

IT looks bolt cutter friendly :D:crazypilot::goplay: but if I do that could b a wolf cage :rofl:

Yeah you could get through it with bolt cutters. I thought about using 5mm weld mesh, but the extra weight would of been too much, so went with the 4mm. It's not perfect, but it will at least slow the bastards down :P

It's not perfect, but it will at least slow the bastards down :P

Not suggesting you do this but .... I heard of a fellow working in one of the mines in Wollongong used to leave his motor bike outside whilst he was underground ... came back up to see his motor bike was not quite where he left it. "Hmm wonder if my anti-theft device worked", he thinks to himself. He casts his eye another 20 meters down the road to see his motor bike laying on it's side. He put a delayed timer on his bike that would set off an electric charge, I assume directly from his spark plug input, through to the handle bars unless his hiden switch was activated. Yep sure worked. Bolt cutters conduct electricity don't they? :popcorm1:

Haha, yeah I've heard about guys electrifying their vehicles as theft deterrent. My luck though I'd forget about it and only shock myself :eek:

Testing the canvas this weekend, going camping and 4wding, so I hope it doesn't leak :derisive:

Canopy worked well over the long weekend camping.... Until the ute decided it was tired and wanted to have a rest against a tree :fool:

D7C904DA-5006-40DB-8557-E1AD5979FEA5-860-00000169E8E834B4_zpsf95ac15a.jpg

Oh well, it's patched now, just disappointing that it only lasted 2 weeks :cray:

Trees!! Don't get me started on trees. They block out the sun. They get in the way of kites. They completely disrupt the wind. They hide the view. They promote birds - those noisy pesky things that wake you up in the morning. They drop leaves and crap everywhere. And they just lurk around waiting for a storm so they can fall over and destroy something. Carry one of these babies and cut down anything that comes near the ute.

post-5961-14336633795218_thumb.jpg