Sign in to follow this  
SoutherlyBuster

League of Silent Flight

Zac and I managed to do an evening slope soaring seesion in the Port Hills of Christchurch. Some North Weaterlies blowing, so warm inland winds, time to find a new spot. With the help of google maps, managed to find this pot 30 minutes from our place. On the way this is the scenry we saw, a view into the bay

AB8E7CA7-BC20-4032-97A5-98E7E58E3AA5.thu

This side of the hill was facing the ocean, so no wind as yet. Ventured a bit further aournd to the flying site facing the wind

F15589B9-98AD-4EEA-9DEB-B18F4367F03D.thu

I took a short video of Zac flying, during the show-off the wind decided to drop and so did his plane, time to wade through the tall grass and fetch

211AF5CE-431D-42F2-A76C-EDBC18E1CC5F.thu

He gave the Robbie sallute and pressed on 

C19ADA08-FC91-4173-AE1B-77A198D776C2.thu

Great session.

Hard to spot the Orcs, they dress as sheep :)

Had another brilliant session yesterday with Zac out in the Port Hills at Taylors Mistake, with the sea breezes. Four tailess planes like the Hobby King Wicked Wings and me on my Bixler. They then decided to bully on the Bixler, trying to knock it out of the sky, was hilarious. The Bixler fared well until they knocked it a bit harder and the split wing started to come apart, so was time to land and push the wings back together. Just mind blowing the amount of lift, I could easily gain 200m height, the only thing stopping me going higher was to keep my plane in sight and limits of transmitter range.

Some more slop soaring on the Port Hills - Christchurch - New Zealand. We had some North Westerlies, so was time to explore some new slopes.

The site was near the top of Dyer's Pass Road, at the top from the Christchurch side, turn left past the transmition tower and wah lah:

EOS 450D_2016-04-03_3702.JPGEOS 450D_2016-04-03_3712.JPGEOS 450D_2016-04-03_3719.JPGEOS 450D_2016-04-03_3722.JPGEOS 450D_2016-04-03_3723.JPGEOS 450D_2016-04-03_3743.JPG

My Wicked Wing has been stripped down to reveal more broken spars than I care to mention, my Pheonix well it did the ultimate dirt dive and is no more, so that leave my trusty old Bixeler. A new tailess aircraft is in work as a scratch build/design, so it's the Bixeler for now.

There was heaps of lift as usual, but gusty and even some down drafts to keep us on our toes. Planes were landed safetly and in one piece. Hey @Plummet, some top bike riding trails here, will take them the next time.

Regards,

Norman and Zac

An icy South westerly was howling in the hills20160522_155727.jpg

Then came sleat and rain with the front moving through. Waited some in the car then a walk to the slope

20160522_164021.jpg

20160522_163852.jpg

20160522_163216.jpg

It was icy cold, 7 Feb C plus wind chill, our fingers were slowly getting numb. Was a short but great slope sloaring session.

It was 7 degrees Celius not including the windchill at least that is what the thermostat in my car said. Our fingers got that cold that Zac found it difficult to control the glider so he called it day. I stopped earlier because my plane did not have enough ballast, the wind picked up some more and I could no longer penetrate into the wind. Figure will have to get some thin gloves. Mind you we had sleat and rain at the beginning.

In the Mountains west of us, the caps had snow on them. The wind blowing onto the hill we were on was blowing straight off the ocean, next landmass is Antarctica.

Sorry about all the typos in the original post, all corrected now, must have been the Smart Phone trying to outsmart its self and doing all that autocorrection, arggg...

19 hours ago, SoutherlyBuster said:

It was icy cold, 7 Feb C plus wind chill, our fingers were slowly getting numb. Was a short but great slope sloaring session.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__11738__Turnigy_Transmitter_Glove_2_4Ghz_Neckstrap_Ready_.html
+
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__14858__HobbyKing_Universal_Heater_System.html

I have the transmitter glove for winter, as I don't mind flying a bit of fixed-wing FPV when it's raining and it keeps the rain off the transmitter.  But it also keeps my hands nice and warm, without needing gloves which make switch position changes impossible. 

I use a transmitter glove as well to slope soar. A home made job but works a treat.

I fly mode 1, so just have to get the glider trimmed well for launching, as it's harder to control needing both hands to fly. 

Hmm might have to rethink getting one of those gloves .... or make my own. Zac and I fly mode 2 so we have no trouble flying single handed. Is even easier for me since I am left handed, so I have my strong arm throwing the plane.

@Chook, any chance of posting a picture of your home made transmitter gloves ... did your wife knit you up a set? :)

Regards,

Norman and Zac

I bought a square meter of the clear plastic (that they use on ute canopies) and it cost me almost as much as I could have bought this Norman.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__41039__Turnigy_Transmitter_Glove_2_4Ghz_Neckstrap_Ready_AU_Warehouse_.html

I'll dig it out and take some photos for sure. It's no where nearly as refined as the bought jobs though.

Maiden flight of my new wing:

Maiden flight of the Beevolution Glider from Wind Rider. It is a 1.2m Wingspan RC glider. The CG published by Windrider of between 14 and 14.5 inches along the leading edge was not used (otherwise the ballast added would have been about 200 grams!! and way too nose heavy), instead used 200mm from the leading edge nose position as calculated using the Flying Wing CG calculator at fwcg.3dzone.dk using the normal setting (for added ballast of about 37 grams). Take off weight TOW came in at 630 grams, thanks to some carefully placed slugs of 10mm diameter steel reinforcement rods - hey justing what was lying around the workshop. Handling of glider was a treat, very agile and fast. Only flew on a light wind day, looking forward to some higher winds. Other modifications versus the original design instructions where: ribbon spar was left continuous gracefully bent from wing tip to wing tip, heat activated covering film instead of 3 inch tape.

Zac helped me with the colour scheme. The little critter on the wing is Zac's TinyWoop -- FPV in the house will never be the same.