Sign in to follow this  
plummet

What kite scares you?

Ok boys.

What kite scares you?

I have one. Its the 6m ozone quantum fixed bridle race kite. Such a stupid ridiculous kite with amaising upwind ability. But you have to keep line tension at all times. ALL TIMES!

Get the line tension wrong and bam, Instant collapse..... the when it re-inflates... BOOM instane power spike.

Nothing at all is sublte about this kite its raw and insane.

Purhaps it doesn't help that this is an ex-proto kite as well. Probably has more performance/instability that a standard off the shelf unit.

Any way it certainly keeps you on your toes!

Well, this one is or should I say was at the other end of the spectrum. My old ex Venom II had been used that much when ever a wee gust came by it collapse and did a death spiral. So this was the signal that it came to the end of it's life, so now it's buried 6 foot under.

Now for other end of the spectrum, 15 knots gusting to God knows what, Sandy Point + DirtSurfer + Speed IV 8m^2 + toe side, downwind and running out of beach to slow down and stop - one day will have another crack at it. Just kept on going faster and the depower was fully out, yikes. There is a certain knack with the Speed IV to turn it, if depower is let out too much, steering is lowered, so need to pull the bar in a tad to turn.

The old toeside deathrun... nasty. So... what was the outcome? Step off? aim for the water?

The quantum is not a kite for tight area's. when it powers up you can't shut the power off like a depower. she just keep on trucking. At speed edging upwind creates extra grunt and sideways pull. When there's drift wood 5-10m downwind it makes for some ring puckering.

The old toeside deathrun... nasty. So... what was the outcome? Step off? aim for the water?

The quantum is not a kite for tight area's. when it powers up you can't shut the power off like a depower. she just keep on trucking. At speed edging upwind creates extra grunt and sideways pull. When there's drift wood 5-10m downwind it makes for some ring puckering.

Aimed for the water, plenty of ring puckering, then eventually stopped, sigh of relief, then took the heel side run back to swap to my landboard.

I can so relate to that, more up wind, more side pull. Actually there was some drift wood as well. It was the soft sand in the low dunes down wind of me that was the worry. All the toe side action on the surf board has helped improving my skills on the DirtSurfer, so am ready for another crack on the Durfer.

Just had to say after yesterday at 7 Mile,

6mtr Access no up wind strength and about 2k's to walk :mad:

Launch 8mtr Speed2 in 20-25kt winds, kite right at the edge of the window and massively struggle to walk backwards to buggy.

Reached buggy with lower wing tip caught up in bridle, still pulling like a truck on roids, jiggled it feel and instant afterburner effect, just sliding up the beach heading for the dune embankment, and then realising the the trim was right out, tried to pull it in ... so hard on a fully over powered kite ... managed half way and became a bit more manageable, went for the final pull on the trim.

Bad move, caused the kite to stall, drifts right back behind me and then we all know what happens when it recovers, it came forward at about a millions mile per hour and literally ripped the attachment point straight out of the harness and ripped the 5th line free also.

Thank God for that because it was going to be ugly ... even though I was ready for the power up ... to close to Christmas for any major injuries

Kite was luckily stopped by the embankment and bridle tangled in the shrubbery.

Packed kite away as best as possible, and walked the remaining kilometre back to Bob and Andrew.

I survived, buggy and kite undamaged all good.

JD

I don't own any kites that scare me, it's wind that scares me and big gusty winds can do that, that was the case this year at sandy point for speed week on the Saturday, horrid gusty up to 35 knot wind at a bad angle to the beach, I've got a 2.7m vapor, that would have scared me... Along comes Rob, up the beach with an inflato, and off he goes, on his own. I've never had an LEI kite but they must suck up the gusts.

I had one kite I didn't really like, mostly my lack of ability to fly it, a 13.4 m vapor, 2 knots it wouldn't fly as it was so heavy, 5 knots it wants to kill you, very small window. I gave it to crisitaly, he seems to like it.

I'm old enough to know my limits, if I want a rush I can always put an extra spoon of sugar in my coffee.

5.6m Peter Lynn Water Foil.

It flies fine, handles well, has truck loads of power and grunt (picks me up in 7-8 knots), only issue, you can't land and kill the kite!!!

Due to it being "inflated" and not ridgid, it just rolls over and takes off again.

Great if you want to crash it out in the water and relaunch, but when your finished for the day, you want to pack it up, yes?

Joel's had a fly and even found out that it doesn't want to sit on the ground, much to his concern. :eek:

5.6m Peter Lynn Water Foil.

It flies fine, handles well, has truck loads of power and grunt (picks me up in 7-8 knots), only issue, you can't land and kill the kite!!!

Due to it being "inflated" and not ridgid, it just rolls over and takes off again.

Great if you want to crash it out in the water and relaunch, but when your finished for the day, you want to pack it up, yes?

Joel's had a fly and even found out that it doesn't want to sit on the ground, much to his concern. :eek:

Single line flag out would sort that wouldn't it?

Let's put this one in perspective of other observations, remember Joel trying to keep his Speed IV on the ground at Kingston. hm some more sand and here to keep it down, the kite says, No get that thing off me and flicks the sand off, more grummbles from Joel $@&@)$()&)@$@)@)(!!!!! ... Those semi rigid air intakes do a wonderful job of keeping the air intake open and inflated :D

Flagging out closed cell foils is the only way in windy conditions. It you want to keep them on the ground just sand the hell out of the upwind wing tip. As for solo landing big ass flysurfers windy conditions. Fit a landing strop between the 2 rear lines like ozone depower foils. Grab that yank on it and loop over a solid object or a stake. Stroll (very fast if its windy) to the kite and flag it out.!

Check out 3.32 on this vid.

I don't get why FS don't use the landing strop? Trying to solo land a big speed without throwing to safety is next to impossible without the strop.

I had a 3.8m vapor that I flew occasionally, but I was scared to fly it in the wind it needed to perform.

So I sold it to a man braver, or crazier, then me... Chook :D

I had a Vapor and felt exactly the same! :eek: also sold it, the depowers feel much safer with safety's and in handling the gusts.

Met up with a buddy at the beach yesterday who has a set of quantums. He flew my 6m proto and said it have more power than his 7.3 quantum...... hmmmm. my thing must be tuned right at the sharp edge of the stick. It is just stupid!....

7m Ozone C4. It is my cyclone sail. It takes a ridiculous amount of wind for me to get going with it. +40knots is just getting going. 45knots is well powered as it safely hauls you through over head high breaking waves. Then at 50knots it comes alive where you can tweak and redirect to float you over that breaker that scares the living shit out of you.

But then at +51 knots it starts to take you for a ride and you don't know if this was such a good idea anymore. It safely lifts you over the first wave right into the jaws of the next one. So you start top looping to make it stop... top looping a kite in 50 knots landing between over head high breakers... :dontknow: ...not to mention anytime the kite points in a direction it wants to go like a 2L Turbo with a stuck accelerator and no rev limiter! :blackeye: