HI everyone,

I am seriously thinking of order the Pansh Aurora 15m or 12m (not sure at this stage).

I want it to be basically a poor-man's Flysurfer Speed 2 (or 3?) alternative, for both kitesurfing and landkiting. I simply cannot afford local prices for a new Flysurfer Speed 3 or 4, or even a HQ Matrixx II (and only Briskites have them I believe).

However, this video is exactly why I want one ... to do floaty jumps and use the kite also on water kite surfing. I am not into special tricks or mega loops, etc. Just freestyle.

So, I was wondering if anyone here could kindly tell me how best to order, any suggestions on ordering (credit card, paypal, direct deposit, etc?), what to look out for? I've read on FoilZone some bad customer experiences, and of course how is (was?) your Aurora experience? I am going to order the 60cm bar and 25m lines set as well, but if you guys think I can get away with a normal 4-line bar or a Speed 3 bar setup (I have an old one somewhere)?

Am I dreaming!? :cray:

Ok, I bought a 12m just before Easter to test out. At the extreme kites Easter meet at Yeppoon.

I've been lazy and haven't written a review up yet, but I can tell you they are a really good kite for the money.

I was able to test it back to back against my new 12m speed 3 CE and the aurora does nearly everything the speed 3 does. 

Its just as good up wind, the same low end and turns just as well. The only area that I found the aurora was a little lacking, was the jumps. It jumps just as high and easily as the speed 3, but doesn't have the same effortless float of the speed. This could be overcome with practice and technique, it's just that I have been spoiled flying speeds for years.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by andy666

Thanks Andy, after hearing that I could be tempted to go for an Aurora if I ever get the $'s, I certainly will never have the money for a chrono or speed (would seriously love one!). 

@Fernando, no risk no reward.  Get one and try it out.  Nothing like first hand experience.  There seems to be enough positive reviews here and there to make it worth taking a chance.  FYI, I have never flown one.

Pansh today is not what it was 8+ years ago.  I have a new Ace II here, which i'll post up some images of later however the quality of the kite compared to the very first Ace I purchased back in 2007 is completely different, they've improved immensely especially the bridle.  People who think they're going to get the complete package quality of the Chrono or Speed's at 1/4 of the price is pie in the sky thinking and really proves a fool and their money are easily parted.  However, if you're looking for a well built kite and willing to sacrifice the bells and whistles then Pansh are a good option that will serve you well.  Consider this, as a company Pansh have more Foil Kites in their range today than any other manufacturer.

I still think their Sprint is a damn lemon of a kite, but their Ace when I first bought it flew really well on a warm day, unfortunately it was let down by poor sail cloth and bridle so on a damp day flew like a wet rag.  The Ace II I have sitting here is so far from that, it's just so much better finished and better materials, however i'm yet to put it in the sky for a fly as the weather has been terrible.  Keep in mind that Pansh's pricing over the years has also increased, along with their quality.

The Pansh Aurora 15m is $837 USD complete, $1070AUD + 10% GST on import $1177, and you may wear some other fees.  So just round at $1200 AUD.  That's a complete brand new 15m foil kite with bar & lines.  You may do better splitting the order, kite in one and bar/lines in the other to avoid going over the GST free threshold.

I am seriously thinking of order the Pansh Aurora 15m or 12m (not sure at this stage).

If it's your "every day" kite I would go the 12m it'll be a bit more agile.

Thanks Andy. Thanks Joel.

I now know the "risks" and appreciate your honest feedback. I am keen mainly because as you said Joel, Pansh have come a long way since 2007 and patience is certainly a virtue. Anyway, I'll keep you all updated with my purchase and I am sure to bugger the crap out of you all regarding tweaks and bridle adjustments. I mainly do want to use it over land more than water, as I already have a Speed 3 for that and it does me fine, plus several LW leading edge inflatables. But on land, I am yet to conquer decent speeds and jumps. It's probably more to do with the little space around here in Townsville to do proper ATBing, but on a good 16knot+ day, I only need a footy-oval to do basic jumps and tricks. One day I'll get a proper 4WD and explore the sand beaches just south of Tvl, on a low tide, as I've seen them from Castle Hill and wow... makes Yeppoon look like a kid's sand pit! ;-)

Cheers

The Pansh Aurora 15m is $837 USD complete...

If it's your "every day" kite I would go the 12m it'll be a bit more agile.

I just had another look and now, complete with bar and lines, it is US$537.5 (50% off sale). That's more like it! :) Comes close to $700 AU including postage.

Well I must admit at $500usd its tempting. But I have learned long ago that it is better to have second hand high quality item than a new cheap item. This is not just kiting. I apply this across the board. 

On a side note. Landboard and boosting big jumps can get you in a position where you are leg and back breaking height above the ground. In that instance you are literally trusting your life to the equipment. Do you want the cheapest equipment available for that task?

I certainly do not. So for my land based boosting i want quality product that is not likely to let me down. I run with new/near new lines/pullies etc. 

So. Keep that in mind. What is your spine worth? 

If you don't intend on boosting above head height on land then. Happy days. Give it ago. 

Well I must admit at $500usd its tempting. But I have learned long ago that it is better to have second hand high quality item than a new cheap item. This is not just kiting. I apply this across the board. 

On a side note. Landboard and boosting big jumps can get you in a position where you are leg and back breaking height above the ground. In that instance you are literally trusting your life to the equipment. Do you want the cheapest equipment available for that task?

I certainly do not. So for my land based boosting i want quality product that is not likely to let me down. I run with new/near new lines/pullies etc. 

If you don't intend on boosting above head height on land then. Happy days. Give it ago. 

Good points you make Plummet.

The bar and lines that Pansh have on offer don't really look trustworthy to me.

I ended up getting a brand new old stock "Core" 5 line bar and 24 M lines for $150.

Still saving for the kite to go with it, though not sure whether to get an Aurora or a Genesis. Knowing my luck the sale will run out before I save the cash.

WP_20150429_001.jpg

The bar and lines that Pansh have on offer don't really look trustworthy to me.

have you seen them in the flesh? The bar looks OK to me...

and the lines are all rated - I guess with any kite lines you keep a close eye on them for signs of wear and tear and replace them as needed.

image.thumb.jpg.0e0020ef6f9bc8f9a007784f

I would not be concerned about the bar and lines they offer, other than the price! After all, all kite lines and in fact the manufacture of kites generally come from China. Cabrinha, North, they all have their kites made in China. FS I think are made in Belgium.

Perhaps it's time to stop worrying about just "price" on everything and started prioritising your safety.  That chicken loop is an utter piece of shit by today's standards, it would of been acceptable back in 2005 - 2010.  The world has moved on and realised that a universal style push away system is the very basic requirement of a safe working release.  The bar, what's it made from? What's it rated to?  What's the QC process behind it?  But hey, they're all good questions for people to research from the luxury of a hospital bed.

In my time kiting I've personally owned and seen more bars fail than kites, and I've had one friend sustain a life-long injury from one of those very failures.  Just because something is manufactured in a similar geographical region means nothing towards it's quality, China is as apt at producing low quality unsafe junk as well as producing high-quality reliable items.

Lines all from one region?  The raw spectra/dyneema may be from one region, how tightly a manufacturer weaves it, how many strands they use per length, the pattern of their weave all determines the overall strength and stretch that make up the lines.

But what you're saying can be applied to any kite, even locally sold ones. No one knows where bars and lines are really made from and in what quality assurance conditions. We all put our lives on the line as soon as we slip that chicken loop onto our harnesses and launch the kite. So?

anyway, we're getting off topic. I appreciate your comments joel, and I agree with them hence why I am getting just the kite. I already have a FS bar and lines and it's safe. Plus their prices are too high for the bar, and yes, the chicken loop is crap.

Just because something is manufactured in a similar geographical region means nothing towards it's quality, China is as apt at producing low quality unsafe junk as well as producing high-quality reliable items.

Lines all from one region?  The raw spectra/dyneema may be from one region, how tightly a manufacturer weaves it, how many strands they use per length, the pattern of their weave all determines the overall strength and stretch that make up the lines.

Very good point.  What country something is produced has little to do with quality.  I sell various brands of roofing that are all made in the USA.  Some are crap and some are great.  The parent company doing the testing and quality checks of the productions runs is probably most critical.