DJ_Sylk

Race course layout ideas

Hi All

If you could lay out a race course for kite buggies what would be the ideal layout?

This is for a course on a salt lake so none of the constraints you would find on a beach, travel any direction you want in relation to the wind with plenty of space. Whats your ideal race course in relation to wind direction?

The pic below is just a example to give you an idea what I'm talking about.

Untitled-1.jpg

We really should do this at Kingston next year.  We've talked about it a few times if I remember right.  

yes indeed, but there are some who don't like the idea ( perhaps due to past incidents) so its never occurred.

There are two difficult legs for a kite buggy, directly upwind and directly downwind.

So Flag A gets planted in the ground

Flag B is planted directly downwind (at a suitable distance - 1 km? 10 km?)

Flag C is at 45 degrees to both the others, forming a triangle.

Race is A-C-B-C-A-B-A-B-C-A

There are two difficult legs for a kite buggy, directly upwind and directly downwind.

I think that would result in buggyers heading straight at each other at some point in the race - worth avoiding methinks...

yes indeed, but there are some who don't like the idea ( perhaps due to past incidents) so its never occurred.

It may not of occurred during your visit, but in the early years that 90% rusted out drum that we all avoid cutting ourselves these days on used to be one of the markers the old crew used :D 

I think that would result in buggyers heading straight at each other at some point in the race - worth avoiding methinks...

That was always the "fun" part of the yacht race - I think this is why full face helmets are not popular in other countries for buggying - you can't hear someone yell out "starboard" to demand right-of-way.

With the same layout, you might call one race to be clockwise and the next race to be anti-clockwise.

Here's my course Idea for the moose meet, Its called the Mooseduro.

Start at the downwind most point. Tack upwind on the hard sand on the black line.

Then rip down wind in the sand dunes on the red line

Its about 70km round trim approx.  With a likely 5-10 knot increase at the south end.

It should make for an insanely epic race. PS. No cell phone coverage, No way off the beach at high tide. Nearest hospital 2 hours away.

11251170_876798492394529_370676153584004

I agree here, except that you can use 4 markers. Basicly a square.

By making a square, you move the up winders away from the down winders.

One down wind run, a cross wind run, an upwind run, and a final cross wind run

They could meet in the middle, but if you field is bigger than a footy oval, I doubt this will be much of an issue, as most people going up wind will continue out around the square rather than cutting back into it on their first tack.

On the salt, as big as you want.

The issue here though is to try and make it so that the fast people (who might have better equipment) have to be technical as well to stay in front.

Adding further markers or requiring to round a marker a certain way can slow up the people who are only fast in a straight line.

It does have the opposite effect on those who are new or little experience in the sport, slowing them a hell of a lot.

Here's a left of centre idea: orienteering!!

If you all have GPS' place 5-6 markers with special punches, and there is no formal order in getting each one.

So each person must decide which marker to go for first, and how to do it the quickest.

They must also get out of their buggy to use the punch, so some might have to land their kite if they hot wire in.

Edited by nigel

Here's a left of centre idea: orienteering!!

If you all have GPS' place 5-6 markers with special punches, and there is no formal order in getting each one.

So each person must decide which marker to go for first, and how to do it the quickest.

They must also get out of their buggy to use the punch, so some might have to land their kite if they hot wire in.

I thought about a variation of this for the land yachts but no one was interested.

When your sailing on the salt lake its very hard to see course markers further than a kilometer away. My suggestion was to mark out a marathon course as a series of GPS way-points then you could read everyone's log to check that they had completed the course in the correct order.

Unfortunately this was deemed to complicated for all but a couple of the land sailors so they stuck to the old format.

PS: you dont want to land a kite mid race, the salt is way too hard to get a stake in you would need a bunch of marshals at each point to help land and launch.

My course above is like an orienteering course. Hell its 70+km long. You can't see the flags. We talked about gps markers.  It was deemed that, that would limit who would race. Not everyone uses gps. So the answer was to give an approximate location and then use a massive flag. Say 3m high pole with bright coloured marker. You can see the flag from 2-3 km away. 

In fact the entry fee to the race is 1 x massive flag pole and flag. 

Set the way points a large distance appart to avoid head on collisions. I like the idea of the Ragnorak (I will check spelling), a huge course race, physically demanding, challenging terrain, pilots need to plan their course well as there are many different ways to take your course not all of which are the best, mapping skills are needed to set your course. Promote it as fun, not as a blood sport. Establish a few simple rules regarding safety. Over arching rule: both pilots to change course to avoid a collion.

Now here is an interesting twist to the punch hole idea. Grab a token at way points, don't care which way you round the marker, as long as you have enough tokens at the end of the race of the right type you have completed the course. This of course could set the scene for some interesting team work, ok, Freddy is unlikely to win, but Fritz has a good chance to win, so Freddy you go and collect some tokens for Fritz :) .