gum-nuts

Lake Lefroy Regatta

We must have posted together. That is brilliant news.

Its pouring rain here still and very worried as we only have 2 aircraft that have arrived to start the Air race out of the 27, due to the weather.

That's the BEST news ever!!!!:good: Great lake update.

Yes, there is a caravan park in the 'town' and there is 4wd access into the dunes and I believe 'sandboarding' is encouraged.  @OBEwan was there a couple of years ago.  The caravan park has a website and seems reasonable.

You could make it 'plan B' if Lefroy is too wet??

Edited by jhn.holgate

Yes, there is a caravan park in the 'town' and there is 4wd access into the dunes and I believe 'sandboarding' is encouraged.  @OBEwan was there a couple of years ago.  The caravan park has a website and seems reasonable.

You could make it 'plan B' if Lefroy is too wet??

I loved Fowlers Bay John!  The dunes vary in firmness due to prevailing winds and moisture content but I found some good big patches that were fine for buggying with my midi's. Your big foots will be perfect. You can access the dunes directly from the caravan park.  The dunes are slowly eating the town and caravan park so it's not far at all.  When we were there the park was really neat and clean and reasonably priced.  There is also free camping a bit further around to the west of the dunes with long drop toilet.  Look up Rod Keogh when you're there.  He and his wife run the shop and the whale tours and are super friendly.  Rob can advise on current conditions, dune firmness, prevailing winds etc..  You can contact him on (08) 86256143.  If the whales are still in the bay when you go though, I'd highly recommend taking the whale tour in Rod's new boat.

SDC15359.JPG

SDC15367.JPG

SDC15435.JPG

Great photos Shane!  Looking forward to seeing them.

ps:  Rod's name is on the Caravan Park too so I'll shoot him an email prior to leaving to make sure there's a spot.  Be a good spot to break the trip up into two bits.

Edited by jhn.holgate

Plan B if the LLLSR gets cancelled:fear:...

Cape Legrand near Esperance, camping in the National Park right next to the beach, I was there in January this year awesome beach...

Will also depend on wind and weather.

image.thumb.jpg.589b99ab41926658b0c453adimage.thumb.jpg.8e1484db75fca7ed84579fb8

Love keeping a feed alive - at Waratah Bay Friday/Saturday with the new camper trailer, we picked up a friend, who we also dropped off home! His, not ours!

At least he was on the small size! Now wondering how many more hitched a ride which we didn't see (and seeing that the canopy is currently inside airing out......)

IMG_7533.m4v

What a great photo. do you think the hills are 15klms away ? or are they further.

looks like a very large place to play on. Good luck on conditions. even if a no fly, what a great trip it would be.

good luck guys

To: igeighty

Re distance to the lake shore or "hills" as you called them.

In the left of the shot the lake shore is 5km in the far right of shot it is 14km, but the salt gets soft about 1km out from the shore.

When the lake is completely dry and the wind is in the right direction it is possible to make a 25km tack. You have to navigate a bit like inshore ocean sailing. Remembering landmarks on the horizon and angles of separation between them, I have my launch point an a couple of other key way-points in my GPS makes it much easier to pick the right angle for the home tack.

I was feeling a bit guilty about heading to Lefroy next week and having a long weekend of buggy pleasure while my wife stays at home with the kids:blackeye:, but this morning she was suggesting that I should leave at 5ish on the Friday morning and looking at the route and suggested that we open the camper trailer over the weekend so I can get it sorted!

Now I think she is trying to get rid of me!

Drive safely John and have a ball.

My wife can't wait either Mark. She is getting stuff organized to be rid of me for a while. (I've only been home a week)

I have been asked to fill in at work for 3 days next week, to train the lads up in their gas cutting, arc and mig welding to compete in Farm Skills before the royal show in Perth. 

So I'll pack Wednesday night and leave Thursday morning as planned.

Both your yachts are ready to roll fellas.

The countdown is ON!!!!:good:

Imagine if you drove for 30 hours to have no wind then drove home!...... 

Well, I have actually thought about that.  So I plan to do a lot of whale watching and photography on the Nullabor cliffs and dunes.  Even at this stage it looks like I'll get some cross on-shore wind for some kap along the nullabor cliffs.  Then meet up with Gumnuts, Chook & DJ - a few beers & lots of bullshit.  Visit some nice beaches and take more photos in Esperance then tootle back.  I don't think wind will be the problem, more likely the wrong direction and a very soggy lake.  So there possibly will be a lot less kiting than I'd like.    So I'm taking the glass half full 'it's a holiday' approach and fingers crossed for the lake. :Fingers-Crossed: