.Joel

GT-Race Buggies

GT-Race is a kite buggy brand from the Netherlands that has been around for some time, many of the top 10 world speed records have also been set in GT-Race buggies.  They seem to have quite a range of options, including custom cut foot-pegs, steering lock options and a range of other parts.  Take a look at the GT-Race Rapide FL for example ( http://gt-race.nl/Rapide.php ).

http://www.gt-race.nl

RPFL_0.thumb.png.1d8b084c1bc5dce71b66591

They are super comfortable - I happen to do a bit of landboarding together with teamrider Nicolas Jackson (http://www.gt-race.nl/denmark.php). Though I'm not really a buggyer I did try it out a few time when he borrowed my landboard (And Chargers) :-)

Once he had the custom foot-pegs and the whole shebang you might be able to find pictures of it on his facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/nicolas.jackson.92

//M

Ill post this here as it seems to go well with the GT.

I have been thinking a bit about safety and thought about safety. special the skid lids.

heres something groovy and color coordinated :) SHARK RAW KURTZ MAT WHITE

85891602.thumb.jpg.dbfaac7dbc3fa168303bb

product-191-141222-033710.thumb.jpg.5e7a

or something a little more Artsy

85ca25c142de6812e204dc4480e219e1.thumb.j

Edited by igeighty

I think Joel might have asked himself that exact same question......:grin:

GT-Race Rapide Buggies are coming to Australia!  Well three of them to be exact with @igeighty@nigel and I all having just placed our order.
It wasn't an easy decision to switch away from the Apexx, however I think all three of us agree as we discussed it further it literally "just made sense" in the end.  Buying out of the Netherlands and shipping to Australia you want to make sure you get it right.  It was the little 1-percenters that when added up made enough difference to decide to change course.

I'm going back to bed, I'll share more on our decision to purchase a Rapide later.

So this is a money on the table and deposit ..... PAID..... ?

Its still not a Libre. :55a3889eea794_Microupyours:

But the carbon fibre guard does look hi tech.

Whats the ETA on these puppies?

That's a marvel of laser cutting excellence. Whats the cost to land one of these bad boys into Aus? $5k?

On a side note have any of you guys tried lead link front forks and glass or carbon rear axle?

Ill post this here as it seems to go well with the GT.

I have been thinking a bit about safety and thought about safety. special the skid lids.

heres something groovy and color coordinated :) SHARK RAW KURTZ MAT WHITE

What? You're telling me this isn't cool.....

image.thumb.jpg.4865b1a8cdb3d047bfb1a751

John, that has to be one of the new smiley icons for the forum :) and yes mate it IS cool.

Excellent news Joel, Ill get your bank details and fill her up today.

Kathleen, i am getting standard stainless axle. i would love to try the carbon. but i know i won't break the stainless one.

Plummet, I have seen the front suspension, It was on a modified peter lynn bigfoot. pretty cool actually. especially for the corrugations.

I think it is around 6 weeks Clive, certainly in time for speed week. (heres hoping)

The Apexx certainly is a very nice buggy, great engineering. the decision was pretty tight. also a hard one to make without actually being able to put hands on a buggy to compare. Construction wasn't a factor, they are very close. Cost was a big selling point, however it is really analogous to choosing between jaguar and daimler. both being very similar in design and construction.

oh and gum nuts. don't be envious, ill share with you at kingston :) or just order one, you know you want to :)

Edited by igeighty

That's a marvel of laser cutting excellence. Whats the cost to land one of these bad boys into Aus? $5k?

Basic package, frame only approximately $2500 in a group purchase.
Frame only optioned to what Nigel and I have specced out closer to $3,200 once landed.

On a side note have any of you guys tried lead link front forks and glass or carbon rear axle?

Yes, don't like the suspension fork it unless its somehow been vastly improved.
There's no net gain to optioning for the carbon axle unless you're racing short course markers, it impedes all out top speed.

Its still not a Libre. :55a3889eea794_Microupyours:

Thank fuck for that.

But the carbon fibre guard does look hi tech.

Whats the ETA on these puppies?

6 weeks from order + delivery time.
So we should see them ship 1st or 2nd week of September, and then land here some time mid October.

Yes, don't like the suspension fork it unless its somehow been vastly improved.
There's no net gain to optioning for the carbon axle unless you're racing short course markers, it impedes all out top speed.

Interesting. All the nz top guys around run a leading link front end. Perhaps because we spend a lot of time in the dunes?

Why does carbon axle impede top speed? are you talking axle tramp when slowing down? bouncing at speed?

What speeds are we talking? 70+kph 80? 90?

I really don't know any different to running a leading link and fibreglass back axle.... My back does axle tramp trying to slow down 60+kph on some sand conditions. But its a basic axle. There's definatly room for improvement in the design.   I do know that when i jump on others sold buggies i wonder why it feels so harsh. But is all your riding is on billiard table hard sand then suspension is not neccessary. 

Edited by plummet

off topic again, but thats what I'm good at :)

IMG_0437.thumb.jpg.82fa8ff64d4d712008489IMG_0441.thumb.jpg.f4558c78332f1c1470f70IMG_0442.thumb.jpg.ffc1c267ee2188fc14c45

all safetied up, ready for arrival :)

The shark is VERY comfortable and relatively lightweight, google fogging doesn't occur.

Mezz's Goggles give that Biggles look that a blokart rider requires.

Although the boba fett skid lid is a little heavy and fogs up too much.

Edited by igeighty
ui

Interesting. All the nz top guys around run a leading link front end.

Sure the top guys in NZ run them, but how does that translate to the rest of the world?  I would of thought if the suspension fork made a significant difference then it would be in adopted and used overseas very quickly, similar to how the the AST technology from XXTreme was picked up by all the other race buggy manufacturers.  I'm not disputing that it may give a smoother ride, nor am I disputing that people like it, just that it has been around for so long and not adopted yet leads me to believe it's more suitable for cruising than racing.  

Perhaps because we spend a lot of time in the dunes?

I took one of the large PL Expedition buggies to Stockton Beach where the dunes are.  One thing I noticed about that fork was that at lower speeds how well it dampened impact when ploughing over hard, rippled surfaces.  What I didn't like was that at higher speed it was moving all over the place in response to the wheels bouncing over the surfaces.  It just made the whole front end of the buggy feel like it was out having a party of its own.

Why does carbon axle impede top speed? are you talking axle tramp when slowing down? bouncing at speed?

Discs typically run a rougher and firmer ride than bigfoots as they have less cushioning causing the axle to flex more.  The camber during the flex isn't as big an issue as the toe that it creates when it flexes.  After speaking with Mark one of the GT-Race riders the positives of the carbon it gives a much smoother ride on discs, the negative being when you plant that power down and create some flex it'll cost you speed.  It's perhaps not so much a noticeable issue with lighter pilots (ie: Nigel's 62kg), however with +100kg pilots (such as myself) then it becomes more of a noticeable issue.

I still would like the carbon axle on my one, however what I wanted vs durability and purpose I've decided to stick with the stainless for the time being ;) 

Edited by .Joel

Mezz's Goggles give that Biggles look that a blokart rider requires.

Although the boba fett skid lid is a little heavy and fogs up too much.

You can be my Algy :crazypilot:

When the GT arrives, you can cut the down-tube on the peter lynn to size so your feet can reach the pedals and have a go biggles.

Borkum Buggy Blast, what a blast! some really good drone footage, a big mixture of kites. Quite a large amount of money on that beach.

Edited by igeighty