gum-nuts

Race results, European Championships

After the Peter Lynn Vapors being ahead after day 1, by the end of the meet the Ozone depowers came first and second...

From the Ozone kites FaceBook page...

Huge congratulations to Dennis Aalbers for claiming the European Kite Buggy Championships title! His Dutch team mate Mark van den Berg following on second place. Respectable positions for David van Boven and Maximilian Thomes. Ozone depower performance foil kites have once again proven to be unbeatable

http://ec2015.be/results_8.php

ECBuggy-1.thumb.jpg.5d5d5f6d6a8329dd14bf

MEN

Pos Sail Nr Race Nr Name R1 R2 R3 R4 R5 R6 Pen Total Cat. Country
1 H36 36 Aalbers Dennis 3 5 42 2 3 2 0 15 M Netherlands
2 H170 33 Van den berg Mark 2 39 6 17 2 0 0 27 M Netherlands
3 F197 22 Cottard Simon 7 8 8 3 46 5 0 31 M France
4 F32 24 Vandezande Hugo 36 17 19 0 0 4 0 40 M France
5 G1701 17 Sperling Björn 10 7 14 5 6 14 0 42 M Germany
6 B1083 50 Van boven David 4 3 11 25 17 15 0 50 M Belgium
7 G1338 13 Thomes Maximilian 22 14 9 9 15 3 1 51 M Germany
8 K31 41 Martin James 41 0 0 41 4 11 1 57 M United Kingdom
9 F407 26 Meissonnier Charles 0 2 2 31 23 33 0 58 M France
10 F145 27 Rivals Damien 16 29 7 18 10 8 0 59 M France
11 F195 20 Cottard Anthony 13 10 12 13 14 22 1 63 M France
12 B1211 52 Dietens Julien 19 16 23 4 8 19 0 66 M Belgium
13 K740 40 Lavelle Adrian 11 6 22 33 20 6 1 66 M United Kingdom
14 G1173 11 Spiering Bernd 25 19 21 11 7 9 0 67 M Germany
15 H400 30 Leegwater Eric 42 4 5 8 22 30 0 69 M Netherlands
16 K101 42 Mcgavin Ryan 21 9 10 27 35 7 0 74 M United Kingdom

Edited by gum-nuts

i dont think that spot is viable for a international buggy contest, the beach is narrow and has buildings all over the dune line. first day they only had two marks, second day 3 as far as i was told. with all that water on the beach it looked more like a survival game than a race...

respect for the drivers to adjust to the circumstances, its just a shame to waste all that talent on half wind bombing ;)

i dont think that spot is viable for a international buggy contest, the beach is narrow and has buildings all over the dune line. first day they only had two marks, second day 3 as far as i was told. with all that water on the beach it looked more like a survival game than a race...

respect for the drivers to adjust to the circumstances, its just a shame to waste all that talent on half wind bombing ;)

Nothing wrong with that location. is challenging track also draws out the skill of the rider.  It no longer becomes a "who has the best upwind set up"  race.

well in this case you could argue it had become a "who hase the best water set up" race. drivers without disk wheels lost massiv speed in every tide-way and with no dry suit you where freezing like no tomorrow.

buggy racing for me is about finding the best line from mark to mark, particular up/downwind and nailing all sorts of maneuvers. i dont see the high amount of challenge in blasting between two marks and a set of tide-ways. if you are lucky you find the shallow spots, if you are unlucky you dive in a deep part and loose all speed.

First day was silly point to point racing where obviously the heavier pilots had an advantage.
Monday we had offshore winds with some tacks so it was already more challenging to find the best way to the marker where we immediately saw other pilots going to the front of the pack..

I don't think there's a perfect track or beach for an (European) championship as everyone likes something else anyway.
Best option is to spread to championship over a set of beaches like it's done for the national championships in most countries.
Downside of that is that it's way too expensive for everyone to travel there.. ;-)

@Mark.h170, I am guessing that for the last race the useable part of the beach at times was not that wide, what rules were in place to avoid headon collisions?

When I was watching the land-yachts and blow carts at the weekend and they are having to tack all over the place to get around the course it was difficult to know who had right of way and after a bit he was in front, until they came through the finish line!

one of the reasons John and I didn't race was they were going to put us in with the minis and we didn't think masts and kite lines would go well together! And we didn't want to show then up:sarcastichand:

We were running down wind priority on the races where it was required but it did get a little bit fraught at times lol

That type of beach is great as it adds a third dimension to the racing its not just the kites or pilot skill but your ability to read the beach and pick out some unusual lines that can win you a race or two.

Day 1 was great with the onshore wind and the Vapor pilots were away and gone with James and the French pilot making the most of the good conditions, day 2 was a bit of a pig with the wind coming and going plus the gusts from the buildings playing right into the hands of the de-power boys. The guy who won 2 races that day was on a sonic and it was his first time out on them !

Me I was a bit dissapointed with 37th over all after some promising races but once your 11m gets wet it aint never gonna fly 

@Mark.h170, I am guessing that for the last race the useable part of the beach at times was not that wide, what rules were in place to avoid headon collisions?

As CHRIS K854 said, we were using downwind priority for those races. 
If you approach someone head on you always have to go right, but that doesn't have anything to do with priority I think.. :) 

Actually the whole beach was usable, a bit wet maybe but you just had to pick the right lines.. :)