Sign in to follow this  
.Joel

Problem Solving

I've followed your flow chart @.Joel and it turned out like this!!!!!!:goofy:

My walking horse I've built is almost ready to paint. :good: Ears and tail to fit after painting. I'll get Anne (Mrs Chook) to do the detailing for me.

Built it from scratch and had a few old photos I found from 1929. LOTS of time spent getting the walking rocker system linkages and radiuses correct.

Reason for the build.........I rode one as a very young kid but cant remember where (neither can my parents) But it's still etched in my mind like it was yesterday and also I like a challenge. It also scratches an itch I have always had to make one. Still just a kid at heart I guess??:grin:

Kit done with pine head and rockers, 18mm ply legs and body and the steel "rear leg to foreleg actuating system" installed into the body.

IMG_0610.thumb.JPG.de0d6e72b6e7fa1b1de330db5d9c1cab.JPG

Dry fit of all the bits.

IMG_0615.thumb.jpg.32cbc7ef2f956d5cdbefbe94759440e5.jpg

Here it is walking in the clip below. By rocking it back and forth and transferring body weight using the foot pads it can walk both forward and in reverse. 

IMG_0621.MOV

4 hours ago, Chook said:

I've followed your flow chart @.Joel and it turned out like this!!!!!!:goofy:

My walking horse I've built is almost ready to paint. :good: Ears and tail to fit after painting. I'll get Anne (Mrs Chook) to do the detailing for me.

Built it from scratch and had a few old photos I found from 1929. LOTS of time spent getting the walking rocker system linkages and radiuses correct.

Reason for the build.........I rode one as a very young kid but cant remember where (neither can my parents) But it's still etched in my mind like it was yesterday and also I like a challenge. It also scratches an itch I have always had to make one. Still just a kid at heart I guess??:grin:

Kit done with pine head and rockers, 18mm ply legs and body and the steel "rear leg to foreleg actuating system" installed into the body.

IMG_0610.thumb.JPG.de0d6e72b6e7fa1b1de330db5d9c1cab.JPG

Dry fit of all the bits.

IMG_0615.thumb.jpg.32cbc7ef2f956d5cdbefbe94759440e5.jpg

Here it is walking in the clip below. By rocking it back and forth and transferring body weight using the foot pads it can walk both forward and in reverse. 

IMG_0621.MOV

Looks like a duck to me :)

Oh My Giggy Goat......Chook is Father Christmas!......Making wooden toys.

I absolutely love this Chook. I think the original concept was a French idea. What a talent and what a memory!

Well done! I can't wait to see it finished and all painted up. 

Here's the only photo I could find of the same walking style.

c0a6d7bf4feb579b620ebc364360f199.jpg.557909fa4b530fe3dc9d17cc2fd67232.jpg

On 25/12/2017 at 2:09 AM, Chook said:

Holy moly that works!  Amazing build there Chook :good: 

You could scale a few of those up to adult size and after a few drinks have your own horse race in the backyard :D 

4 hours ago, Mez said:

I absolutely love this Chook. I think the original concept was a French idea. What a talent and what a memory!

Ta Mez. From what I found it was built by Harold Lloyd in the USA in 1929 and later called a "Hollywood hobby horse". I got in touch with the museum from Tacoma, his home town and all they had was some old photos.

78-01.jpg.6e1ccac745f72f76e04b98ceba5bcb34.jpg

Also found a couple from where they had gone to auction over the years in the USA.

Horseabcdefghijklm.jpg.7fa9b1c2819b81f312529b757e1eae80.jpg

Been a lot of fun nutting it out and getting it to work/walk correctly.

4 hours ago, .Joel said:

Holy moly that works!  Amazing build there Chook :good: 

You could scale a few of those up to adult size and after a few drinks have your own horse race in the backyard :D 

Yeh the boys from fire brigade said I should build a couple in steel to race and bet on, for our next Melbourne cup piss up!!! 

Gee I've only got 3 teeth left now, without getting onto a big one. :grin:

16 hours ago, Chook said:

Ta Mez. From what I found it was built by Harold Lloyd in the USA in 1929 and later called a "Hollywood hobby horse". I got in touch with the museum from Tacoma, his home town and all they had was some old photos.

Thanks for that Chook - I shall have to go and do some reading up. Love to see the metal ones in action.