jaysmith

my new toy

1 hour ago, andy666 said:

Very nice. I've never tried TIG, but I would love to try.

Me neither, price has always been out of reach but this one came along at a price I couldn't refuse. Hopefully I can find some good 316 stainless at the salvage yard cause there is no chance I can afford it new.

1 hour ago, the_hatman OBE said:

you can uses 308 slightly cheaper but still good

Thanks for the advice, its all pretty new to me, ive only ever welded mild steel so I think ill need plenty of scrap to practice on.

3 hours ago, CasualRural said:

First post here for me :) Looks like you're in for some fun Jay. Will be watching with anticipation.

Regards,

Lachlan (the one from Kingston2016 and Seabreeze admin)

Welcome Lachlan,

Will definitely be needing advice from Yourself, Chook, Ben and others when I start the build.

Cheers

Jay

No worries at all. Ask away. You will have a lot of fun building a mini (or two ;)), and there are only a couple of things I would change from the plans.

At present I'm trying to decide on a seat for my new mini, that will fit both a mini and class 5...

I've had to put this one on the backburner Mez as the shed is full of projects I need to finish before I can fit it in.

I did start to look around for an old windsurfer mast and sail to use but no luck yet.

Hopefully when the weather warms up I will get more inspired to get it done.

On 7/23/2016 at 6:18 PM, jaysmith said:

Hopefully when the weather warms up I will get more inspired to get it done.

Hey that's my saying!!! ;)  None of my land yachts are in one piece at the moment. Here's hoping for warmer weather.

All mine are in pieces around the shed and I'm too busy to look at them at the moment. :blush:

Like you guys said too cold, so I've been doing a lot of welding while the weather suits this. I can now see light at the end of my current contract (4 fire trailers fitted with Honda transfer pumps, to fast fill fire trucks from lakes, soaks and dams in about 3 minutes. The big hose reel on the front takes 20 mtrs of 80mm suction line and the white 200ltr header tank, floods this suction line to prime the pump quickly. The women in our fire brigade set these up for the boys wherever they are needed at a fire. The vertical support for the big reel is a lighting tower to take a LED green rotating beacon and LED flood lights for night operations) so all is good in the Chookhouse.

It's a nightmare sourcing equipment around the end of financial year, even though I had paid a deposit at the end of May to secure the parts and paid for them before 1st July.:mad: 

IMG_20160724_102028_950 (2).jpg

IMG_20160724_095621_847 (2).jpg

2 hours ago, jhn.holgate said:

How much

about enough to tether a satellite, but it would break, or enough to fly a 4 line in the jet stream (not the executive jet), that would break as well.

12 hours ago, the_hatman OBE said:

locks good, my groop just take a quick fill pump to the edge of the water, but this year we got a trailer pump to go on the back of the slip-on

forgot to say they also got a barbby tailor as well

Edited by the_hatman OBE
it's there