.Joel

Vimeo vs Youtube 2016

Vimeo vs Youtube  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer to UPLOAD videos to?

• Vimeo
    • Youtube
  2. 2. Which do you prefer to WATCH videos?

• Vimeo
    • Youtube

8 minutes ago, ssayre said:

I started using Vimeo but then they became more restrictive then YouTube on music copyright. 

Same here.  I even paid for my membership because they let me use any music that I wanted.  They still did point out that if the copyright owners of said music kicked up a stink then they would remove it - but I accepted that.  Then they went all 'net nanny' on me and wouldn't let me use third party music.  So I said F... you and cancelled my membership.  Using third party music for youtube/vimeo vids benefits the artist - in my opinion.  I have heard many tracks on videos that I've gone out of my way to then find and buy.  It's good advertising - providing the music is properly credited on the video and it's a not a commercial video.  Copyright law, however, does not agree with me.

19 hours ago, jhn.holgate said:

Same here.  I even paid for my membership because they let me use any music that I wanted.  They still did point out that if the copyright owners of said music kicked up a stink then they would remove it - but I accepted that.  Then they went all 'net nanny' on me and wouldn't let me use third party music.  So I said F... you and cancelled my membership.  Using third party music for youtube/vimeo vids benefits the artist - in my opinion.  I have heard many tracks on videos that I've gone out of my way to then find and buy.  It's good advertising - providing the music is properly credited on the video and it's a not a commercial video.  Copyright law, however, does not agree with me.

Third Party Music? That's a a new one, never heard of that. Does that mean if it does not come from Vimeo's sound track selection it gets kicked out? I can imagine users will be leaving by the droves if they do that. Still reckon you should pay for the music you use. My gripe with Vimeo is the megabyte limit so I go where is no limit and it's free -- YouTube, and don't start with all the /$/:&;$(&/:;,$&:$.&:$( about compression as it is an unacceptaby poor compromise.

50 minutes ago, KiteStyle said:

Doesn't anyone else find vimeo only plays exactly 11 seconds and then spends 30 seconds buffering? Regardless of what machine/internet you're on?

I strike that occasionally with Vimeo although not the 11 seconds bit.  I wasn't able to watch Joel's latest vid all the way through on the first few tries - it kept getting to 1:20 or thereabouts and the buffering seemed to freeze so I just downloaded it (which I would have done anyway).   Vimeo is definitely a little weird sometimes.