Mez

Blow @ Kingston SE 2017

Hi Kiters

Have spent weekend at Kingston to give the new caravan some free camping experience, stayed at the jetty free park last night and moved up to the granites car park for tonight.   There has been a fair bit of damage done to the dunes with some storms and high tides over the last few months washing part of the bike track near Wyomi into the sea and a section of the jetty broken away and ended up way down long beach. On our way from Kingston to the Granites we went past the claypan which if you wanted to kite at the moment ,flippers and a snorkel would be more important than knee pads and a helmet. Some dry weather should see this kite able  by Jan but there will be some water still on the other side.  I guess we are fortunate that there are plenty of options here. Looking forward to catching up with you all again in January .

Cheers Bull & Jen

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Yes Norm, that's the plan to travel 8 mths of the year see where it takes us. There are lots of places we will be able to visit and Esperence is on the list. Bit of a swim to get to see you guys not sure if I can put an outboard on the back to get over there.:isohappy:

3 minutes ago, Darren Tibbey said:

Can anyone go to Kingston? Or is a closed event? Could slip up for a few days near the end.

Due to space constraints you may find the amount of area you have to buggy quite limiting..... :D 

Anyone / Everyone is welcome, though @beachball57 may like to disagree and tell us how the whole Adelaide land sailing scene is full of wankers... oh hold on he's the head of them now so we better forget all about the nasty shit he said about them over the past four years :D 

It's open, anyone is welcome, you can appear for as long or as little amount of time as you like :good: 

10 hours ago, Darren Tibbey said:

Yes looks terrible we might sneak across for a day or 2 see what its all about.

Its an absolutely awful event Darren, If I were you, I'd stay home!

(Good, now Ive deterred @Darren Tibbey, more space on the pan for me!)

No, seriously Darren, it was our first time earlier this year (myself and Doug - @igeighty) We had a blast! Looking forwards to it again. The Caravan park, although not very shady anymore, was quite pleasant and quiet. And the restaurant behind Larry the Lobster does a very good iced coffee (so I hear from@igeightyand @Rob) and their Seafood Risotto (on the first time there) was very nice. Went back again and it must have been a different chef on shift.

You'll want to stay more than a couple of days though.....12 days isn't enough

@.Joel - I needed to see that video again - thanks for reposting!

Hyped up now!!!!

On a mission to get some footage of me on the blo-fly from the drone!

6 hours ago, .Joel said:

Just booked Friday Night in Horsham :good: 
We should arrive in Kingston about Lunch time on Saturday leaving time for an afternoon buggy session :dance: 

I'm aiming to get to Horsham on Saturday night - don't mess up the town too much

I wonder how the clay pan will look this evening - they are due to have 29mm of rain dumped on them today! That will make 43mm this month!

That looks to me like a serious deep low pressure storm off the SA coast. I had been watching the rain radar and did wonder why the weather was just sitting onto of SA for the past couple of days. 

Untitled.jpeg

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Bernie
      Nice drone footage from today on Farnborough Beach at Yeppoon.  Step-daughter's boyfriend Johnnie just trying out his new drone and camera.  Ant out on his board and me on the Sysmic with 5m Method - a perfect winters day in Qld...😀

• By Goz

A bit of land kiting action from the french
      where have I heard that track before

• By socommk233

ive been a fan of the Pansh brand since my first 4m Sprint from them that I bought against all advice for very little money that proved to be a fantastic flyer.
      so naturally I couldn't resist trying out a depower kite of theirs.
      within 3 weeks of ordering a brand new custom coloured 8m Aurora turned up complete with bar and lines. all cost less than £250. that wouldn't even buy you the smallest vapour fixed bridle kite.
      now ive had it for a few months now and have flown it with varied weather conditions and it has been a struggle to get the right conditions.
      it turned up in the usual oversized stuff bag that Pansh provide for these depowers.

I removed the 5th line as it came with 2 lines. the other attached to the lead lines allowing a depower position on emergency release rather than a fully folded jellyfish.

the Aurora has 4 deflation zips per wing tip which aids in repacking the kite quite well though a larger one on the upper skin centrally might work better in my opinion.
      the build quality and materials are second to none and I love that they have printed the size on them too.

on the centre of the kite it has a small opening closed with Velcro, I can only assume this is a blowout valve in the event it undergoes a large impact, yet im not convinced if it would do anything. you can see where the 5th line attaches but has been removed leaving some spare pigtails.

First flight, straight from the bag, didn't go as excitingly as I hoped. id attached the lines walked back to launch and the nose tucked in without leaving the ground, pulling the bar in resulted in a better launch attempt. so I shortened the rear lines, several times until 150mm had been taken out. then it flew but would tuck at zenith. further adjustment and the rear lines were 200mm shorter and it would sit nicely but always on power.
      as soon as I touched the center line trim it would again tuck the nose and collapse. id even had a fellow buggier have a go, one of the uks top buggy pilots and he came back and he wasn't smiling. it would tuck then snap back causing a unsafe flying situation.

so I thought it through, looked at the speed stystem and realised that as you depower the kite, it was able to reduce the aoa too far and the wind would be ontop of the canopy and push it down. I stopped this with a small mod of a rubber grommet on the speed system. it allows the kite to be powered up, but on depowering it would only let the b lines go as far as I wanted which left the a and b line identical lengths. this maintains a positive aoa at the front of the kite keeping it steady and sitting as it should. upon further depowering it would still allow the c lines to slacken and essentially break the back of the aerofoil resulting in some reflex and loss of lift. ive used grommets so its adjustable and later I may be able to change the line length its on instead.
      now I have only tried the mod in low winds but did help the kite to zenith by running backwards and there was no tuck but only stalling due to low wind. infact when the wind picked up enough the kite sat what looked like past the window directly above, this made me worry but it still didn't tuck or fall. could be a good sign? we will see, as soon as I get out in decent conditions.
      UPDATE!!!!!
      UPDATE!!!!!
      UPDATE!!!!!
      The mod on the speed system needed tweeking to make it reliable. The rubber grommets didn't work as one broke under use and allowed one edge to tuck again. I Replaced them with metal rings and tweeked it further......
      When fully depowered the a lines are 1/2 inch above the b lines at the gather knot. This little positive aoa keeps it flying while allowing for good depower. 
      Tacks were a sinch and suicide gybes became sexy all the while being able to throw the bar away, depower, hold the line and not worry about the kite. 
      It is no race kite! My H8 in the same wind was much faster, but then the aurora did feel underpowered in certain reaches so would benifit from 15mph winds upwards for full advantage. I will race with it as and when the conditions allow, depower does hold a lot of advantages. It just needs to be lit up to make it worth it. 

Here's a video of last Friday at pembrey