Mez

Blow @ Kingston SE 2017

49 minutes ago, igeighty said:

Guys i found a very detailed account of the formation of the lakes and the history of kingston, it is a great read 

here.

What do I need to open this?  My Nuance PDF reader won't read it and Word Pad wont open .doc files.  

1 hour ago, .Joel said:

We are here, holy moly the amount of water on the Lakes surrounding the Wimmera Hwy.  Just unpacking and will do a quick run to the clay pan and take a look. 

Also just arrived and setting up in the caravan park. May see you out at the clay pan @.Joel

@.Joel - passed you coming back. Pretty soggy surface don't you think at the clay pan? Stopped at the beach on my way back and that was much more promising. I reckon 18 plus knots on shore with not as much sea weed as last year. So hopefully good for some sessions till the claypan dries out. 

So the main claypan right now is unusable, maybe the top 20% can be used with Midis or larger wheels. There's water about 50m in from the causeway, however I'm guessing most of the water has blown to the far corner. This is an issue of the wind turns and blows it back. 

The small claypan... well John will be making good use of his kayak :) 

IMG_0157.PNG

IMG_0159.PNG

IMG_0161.PNG

Gave doug a tow to the small farm cafe up the road today...

IMG_0193.jpg

And at some point @igeighty was busy showing @Chook something....

IMG_0163.JPG

apperantly whatever it was he was displaying got the thumbs up...

IMG_0165.JPG

doug on his rev

IMG_0168.JPG

Well not much wind today, but enough to bring all the water on the main lake back over. Here I am standing where I was on Saturday.

IMG_0219.PNG

IMG_0220.PNG

And today a heap of weed has appeared on the beach with the overnight tides. It's only for the few weeks that we come this beach is weed free each year, so for the locals this weed is nothing abnormal. :) 

IMG_0221.PNG

Land yachts should have fun, take off there wheels and they can use the water on the clay pan.

On 13/01/2017 at 2:28 PM, .Joel said:

I'm sorry, I was under the impression you lived in South Australia yet weren't even coming to Kingston? :upyours: 

No i was in Melbourne, but back in South Australia now. was going to go to sydney but can't be stuffed till later in the month.

Will be spending time with the family this year in Adelaide over Australia day, so hope you all have fun and keep safe and enjoy yourselves, and give joel heaps :-))

We were out on the foreshore last night watching the lightning, then the rain came and whoah did it come!  Rained really heavy for about 2 hrs then consistently throughout the night.  This morning the wind is howling but unfortunately it's too south, so with the claypan out Chook has headed south on a reconnaissance mission to see what he can find.

John and I were talking this morning, he worked out from about 70 days at Kingston over the years he's only been unable to kite less than 5 of those. It shows how important the claypan is, as it makes everyday kiteable when it's dry.

We'll see where we end up today, time for breakfast @ Robe Bakery :upyours: 

Kite buggy ski foils.... :)

Hi crew. Any plans for tomorrow (Sat 20th) or is everyone playing by ear? My plan A is to try the beach at the end of Toops road in the morning. Fingers crossed the wind turns westerly!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Bernie
      Nice drone footage from today on Farnborough Beach at Yeppoon.  Step-daughter's boyfriend Johnnie just trying out his new drone and camera.  Ant out on his board and me on the Sysmic with 5m Method - a perfect winters day in Qld...😀

• By Goz

A bit of land kiting action from the french
      where have I heard that track before

• By socommk233

ive been a fan of the Pansh brand since my first 4m Sprint from them that I bought against all advice for very little money that proved to be a fantastic flyer.
      so naturally I couldn't resist trying out a depower kite of theirs.
      within 3 weeks of ordering a brand new custom coloured 8m Aurora turned up complete with bar and lines. all cost less than £250. that wouldn't even buy you the smallest vapour fixed bridle kite.
      now ive had it for a few months now and have flown it with varied weather conditions and it has been a struggle to get the right conditions.
      it turned up in the usual oversized stuff bag that Pansh provide for these depowers.

I removed the 5th line as it came with 2 lines. the other attached to the lead lines allowing a depower position on emergency release rather than a fully folded jellyfish.

the Aurora has 4 deflation zips per wing tip which aids in repacking the kite quite well though a larger one on the upper skin centrally might work better in my opinion.
      the build quality and materials are second to none and I love that they have printed the size on them too.

on the centre of the kite it has a small opening closed with Velcro, I can only assume this is a blowout valve in the event it undergoes a large impact, yet im not convinced if it would do anything. you can see where the 5th line attaches but has been removed leaving some spare pigtails.

First flight, straight from the bag, didn't go as excitingly as I hoped. id attached the lines walked back to launch and the nose tucked in without leaving the ground, pulling the bar in resulted in a better launch attempt. so I shortened the rear lines, several times until 150mm had been taken out. then it flew but would tuck at zenith. further adjustment and the rear lines were 200mm shorter and it would sit nicely but always on power.
      as soon as I touched the center line trim it would again tuck the nose and collapse. id even had a fellow buggier have a go, one of the uks top buggy pilots and he came back and he wasn't smiling. it would tuck then snap back causing a unsafe flying situation.

so I thought it through, looked at the speed stystem and realised that as you depower the kite, it was able to reduce the aoa too far and the wind would be ontop of the canopy and push it down. I stopped this with a small mod of a rubber grommet on the speed system. it allows the kite to be powered up, but on depowering it would only let the b lines go as far as I wanted which left the a and b line identical lengths. this maintains a positive aoa at the front of the kite keeping it steady and sitting as it should. upon further depowering it would still allow the c lines to slacken and essentially break the back of the aerofoil resulting in some reflex and loss of lift. ive used grommets so its adjustable and later I may be able to change the line length its on instead.
      now I have only tried the mod in low winds but did help the kite to zenith by running backwards and there was no tuck but only stalling due to low wind. infact when the wind picked up enough the kite sat what looked like past the window directly above, this made me worry but it still didn't tuck or fall. could be a good sign? we will see, as soon as I get out in decent conditions.
      UPDATE!!!!!
      UPDATE!!!!!
      UPDATE!!!!!
      The mod on the speed system needed tweeking to make it reliable. The rubber grommets didn't work as one broke under use and allowed one edge to tuck again. I Replaced them with metal rings and tweeked it further......
      When fully depowered the a lines are 1/2 inch above the b lines at the gather knot. This little positive aoa keeps it flying while allowing for good depower. 
      Tacks were a sinch and suicide gybes became sexy all the while being able to throw the bar away, depower, hold the line and not worry about the kite. 
      It is no race kite! My H8 in the same wind was much faster, but then the aurora did feel underpowered in certain reaches so would benifit from 15mph winds upwards for full advantage. I will race with it as and when the conditions allow, depower does hold a lot of advantages. It just needs to be lit up to make it worth it. 

Here's a video of last Friday at pembrey