.Joel

POTUS Vote

POTUS Vote  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Who's going to be President of the United States?

• Donald Trump
    • Hilary Clinton

No, you've got it backwards.  God help us if Hilary wins.  The majority of middle aged americans want trump.  Businesses want trump, Military wants trump.  She will continue to cut our military back.  That's not popular in todays times.

Unfortunately, we only have 2 choices.

As someone who does not live in America/USA I don't understand the minutiae or how the locals feel about either candidate.... 

I wonder why anyone would want to give Mr Trump the keys to the nuclear weapons. He seems to make it up as he goes along.

At the extreme risk of offending one of our closest allies, without which we would be a Japanese colony by now. ....... America can't just run around trying to be the world police, it doesn't and cannot work. Regime change throughout the whole Middle East has been a disaster, despots and tyrants have been exchanged for religious zealots who don't care if they die..... Much of the world is tribal.... Africa Middle East, the !stan countries etc, they never have and never will live peaceably. Leave them alone and they will fight amongst themselves, by interfering you give them all a common enemy. You don't need a gung-ho president who wants to extend military conflict. 

America needs to solve its own problems first...( as does Australia) .. The rest of the world wonders about Americas gun culture.... The right to bear arms ( read assault rifles with dumdum bullets) ... And oh yeah shoot black ( that'll upset the politically correct) people just because. ( I refer to the guy lying down on the ground with his hands in the air saying don't shoot me.... ) clearly I don't live there and understand the culture, but I think the rest of the world just shakes its head..... 

10 hours ago, ssayre said:

No, you've got it backwards.  God help us if Hilary wins.  The majority of middle aged americans want trump.  Businesses want trump, Military wants trump.  She will continue to cut our military back.  That's not popular in todays times.

Unfortunately, we only have 2 choices.

On the contrary, she's right of Obama and will have the US in another war pretty quickly, is my guess.

Trump is a narcissistic moron but is, believe it or not, the least retarded of the GOP candidates.

By the way, is my memory wrong, or is the senate majority always the opposite of the presidential party?

Voters can be interesting, and sometimes when a system is completely dysfunctional they'll vote just to express a middle finger to the system.  Hilary is viewed as a product of the system, Trump whilst making his fortune from the system is rallying those against the system.  The system globally is corrupt, privatising the profits whilst the public purse wears the losses.  It was all good when the economies globally were growing, but now that things have slowed down those really feeling the pinch through job losses will inflict their voter anger on whichever individual represents the system in their eyes.  It doesn't matter if both sides are products of the system, it only matters which is perceived as the greater product of the system.

im not sure why the world would shake their head at our gun laws. There's no reason to take the guns from the sheep so they can't defend themselves when the wolves will be present either way. 

I was referring to what Clive said about our gun laws. 

1 hour ago, ssayre said:

There's no reason to take the guns from the sheep

There is certainly a need for some mandatory firearm training - both usage and storage - before anyone is given a licence.   So 2 year old boys can't EVER be in a position where they can pick up a gun and shoot their mother.   I gotta say though....this is my type of herd...

gun_sheep_salute_the_new_year__by_isangk

6 hours ago, ssayre said:

im not sure why the world would shake their head at our gun laws. There's no reason to take the guns from the sheep so they can't defend themselves when the wolves will be present either way. 

Im not anti America,  here in Australia we just have a different approach to firearm ownership.

why does this statistic exist? 

I have owned guns and hunted, done clay target shooting, found it most enjoyable at the time, but for sport I owned the appropriate guns, I can't see a need for assault rifles personally. As I said different culture/view on such things, so to me it seems strange. 

But it's a democracy, and if that's what the people want so be it.

image.gif

7 hours ago, ssayre said:

If that's the second amendment you're defending, can you name any occasion that private citizens have righteously defended themselves?

oh god will Strumf, apparently the original family name and also French for Smurfs, be better or worse than Reagan or tricky Dicky

8 hours ago, jhn.holgate said:

this is my type of herd

just imagine the extra fun you'd have had with the run away ram

7 hours ago, Clive said:

Im not anti America,  here in Australia we just have a different approach to firearm ownership.

why does this statistic exist? 

I have owned guns and hunted, done clay target shooting, found it most enjoyable at the time, but for sport I owned the appropriate guns, I can't see a need for assault rifles personally. As I said different culture/view on such things, so to me it seems strange. 

But it's a democracy, and if that's what the people want so be it.

image.gif

5 hours ago, Kamikuza said:

If that's the second amendment you're defending, can you name any occasion that private citizens have righteously defended themselves?

First you have to define what an assault rifle is.  Does that mean semi-auto?  Does it just mean having the assault rifle look?  Magazine size?  Who gets to decide these things?  Many hunting rifles, handguns, etc.. are semi-auto.  Fully auto is already illegal.  Clip size?  fine put restrictions on that.  I'm ok with that, but there are already so many out there that it's very easy to acquire.  I'd also be for better background checks and possibly waiting periods.

How effective would banning them altogether be once defined?  Take a look at our war on drugs and see how we have been losing it for the last 40-50 years.

also, some food for thought, Handguns and knives account for most of the deaths per year.  Rifles of any kind are always the lowest percentage.  Maybe we make laws on modifying steak knives to make them less pointy?

And there lies the debate.  Some in the US believe a ban on assault rifles would help, some don't.  Everyone would ban them if they thought it would actually work.

I fall in the category that would be for some restrictions and better background checks.  I do not think a ban would stop any mass shooting.  That's just my opinion though.

19 hours ago, ssayre said:

If a child in the play ground at school hits another child with a stick, do you give all the other children a stick?

this possibly explains the difference from Aus to USA, http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/port-arthur-massacre-shooting-spree-changed-australia-gun-laws-n396476 

here they banned automatic weapons, semi auto rifles, I'm not sure about handguns as the police use them I think... But handguns have always been difficult to get here even before 1996. I think it has helped, and it's a lot more complicated than just banning things I will agree ..... Anyway bringing it all back to the election and who will win.

The thought that led to the raising of the gun issue, was that Mr Trump seems to think making the army etc bigger will solve much and that to me has a cultural component, in how guns etc are viewed from an American standpoint.

... The world has become a very different place since regime change was put forward ( Iraq Libya Syria etc) My view is it will eventually effect all parts of the western world, even here, despite gun laws etc, eventually the world will react, America is a powerful nation militarily and how they respond..... ? Is Mr Trump the right man to handle that crisis.....?

Assault rifle is probably a little difficult to define - I would say semi-auto instead.  But as you say, handguns are far more problematic.  But it's probably a moot point as that particular genie is well and truly out of the bottle.

Trump (from what little I've seen on TV) reminds me of a bigger, brasher version of our Pauline Hanson.  She ran a fish 'n chip shop - something I think we'd all be better off if she was still doing.  I think Trump will be divisive and polarize peoples views if he gets in.  Either way, you could certainly use a bit more choice in the election.

And from now on, the only knives you can buy will be these...

gs_lan_wasgrb_x.jpg

Unless you have a special 'Chef's Licence' with which they'll allow you to buy a sharpening stone....

Yep lets get it over with......

on a positive note, I love how someone can take what we consider a duck punt, drop a massive v8 onto it and have some fun..... Gotta love American attitude there.

I do not think a ban would stop any mass shooting.

Well I'm yet to see possession of them end mass shootings... after all that's the whole premise of the argument isn't it?  
Everyone is safer as a collective for owning them.
Interesting reading http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/10/03/us/how-mass-shooters-got-their-guns.html 

There's still gun ownership in Australia, on my Buck's Marathon we were at a shooting range at 9:30am in the morning enjoying ourselves.  It was a fun experience, however I certainly wouldn't feel safer as a citizen if I knew that every neighbour in the street had access to a fully automatic sitting in their closet.  Some of them have a little too much of that "crazy" in their eyes :rofl: 

i work in the metro and surrounding areas of a large city and my son attends a large state university. Something interesting I've noticed is I haven't noticed a single Hillary sign. During the primaries there were Bernie sanders signs everywhere but no Hillary signs. During the primaries and up to present time, you can't go anywhere without seeing trump signs, bumper stickers, large banners at various businesses. Not sure what that means or if it's like that across the US or not. just an observation in my area. i only saw a couple trump signs at the university. It was primarily Bernie signs.