ssayre

Peak 1 6 vs 9 meter question

Today was a beautiful day and winds varried between 10 - 15 knots.  It was fairly steady considering my location.  I hadn't been out in awhile and decided to put some buggy time in.

I put up the 9 meter first.  Just didn't seem to fly right and seemed to spook me on the occasional gusts.  The reason it was spooking me is no matter where I had the bar positioned, it just didn't want to fly right.  It was either surging ahead or wanting to stall.  It would stall with bar all the way in which is not too uncommon for normal depowers but Peak 1's usually fly well with bar in and powered up.  If I let the bar out, it would flutter, fly like crap, and stall again (yeah I know the peak is suppose to do this but not to this extreme)  I found myself constantly searching for the sweet spot which I didn't find.  Also, it seemed like it just didn't want to fly forward.  Kind set deep in the pocket and pulled hard but wasn't flying with any speed.

I thought to myself that I hadn't been out for awhile and I hadn't used the 9m for quite some time so I thought maybe it was just timid flying or pilot error.  I decided to pull out the 6m which theoretically would not move me as well in the same winds without working the kite like crazy.  However, it was just the opposite and I was able to go much faster, much smoother, and was able to trust what the kite was doing.

Could I have a problem with the 9m and what should I check first?

by the way, I did check the simplest thing first which was the bridle and mixer.  I didn't see anything snagged, hung up, or out of the ordinary.

Also, for the record, I've owned the 6m longer than the 9m and flown the 6m the most.  I probably only have a half a dozen sessions on the 9m but have found it only buys me a knot or 2 of range on the low end.  Is that normal?

Agree with Andy on this, either line stretch or bridle stretch.  
If it's stalling with the bar all the way in your front lines may of stretched considerably, so either shorten the front lines or lengthen the back lines.

3 minutes ago, ssayre said:

Thanks guys, I'll take a closer look tonight after work. 

Just to give you an idea of stretch and mixer tests...

Andy's 15M Speed3 was flying in Yeppoon, pulling along an ex-kiter @wolfie :upyours:  and his passenger.  My 12M was struggling to even stay in the air after launch.  We laid the kite out the next day and the front lines over the years had stretched so far that on the left side of the kite I was actually flying partially off the safety line being pulled against the chicken loop.  So first of all we adjusted the back and front lines so they were the correct lengths.  After this we did a mixer test, and corrected the positioning of the mixer.  That afternoon it was equally as light and I took the 12M and and was power sliding through the turns up and down the beach.

The mixers make a huge difference, whilst they're not infallible in most cases they will turn a poor flying kite back in to a proper profiled kite.  

PS: Don't forget, a quick way to adjust the line lengths on most Flysurfer kites is under the bar floats.  Add/move knots as you need to.

I've got the poor man's flysurfer bar.  No floats, no trim, no 4.5 line, no thrills. :-)  I think it's the infiniti 1 bar??

I haven't found any mixer test info specifically for peak 1's but I'll check line lengths and try and figure out a mixer test when I get home.

Yeah, I just had a quick look at the manual online and they don't mention a mixer test. But the line plan appears to show an adjustable mixer. Have a look at the peak 2 manual (or any speed kite manual) on the Flysurfer site which does show the mixer test.