3 hours ago, Spartan said:

How many people have to be attacked, bitten or eaten before something is done to control them

Something is done??  Like what?  Can you imagine the logistics involved in just finding all the sharks that are big enough to potentially eat you in all the surfing spots?  The planes and helicopters and man hours involved.  Once you find them, then you'll have to figure out how to 'control' them.  And do this...what, every day?  And while your at it, what about all the box jellyfish, blue ringed octopus and crocs and all the other stuff that can hurt us.  It's their turf, not ours.

What we might be able to do is come up with some clever shark deterrent devices - whether that's those wetsuits with fancy colors so we don't look like seals or some sort of sound emitting device that can be attached to you or your board...maybe they exist already :dontknow:

here you go, try some of these... Shark deterrents

2 hours ago, Kathleen said:

Why control them just don't get in the water. If we were meant to be in the water we would have been born with gills.

I hope you never get on a plane because if we were ment  to fly we would have wings 😝

4 hours ago, .Joel said:

Control them?  You're living proof that you can't fix stupid.

I bet this is the shark's fault too that he got in the cage?  Not the idiots baiting the water to attract him...

Well how the hell do we control all the other animals that become pests  and affect our way of life on land, one at a time, Doppy 

I had you in high regard in having a brain, obviously you dont 😂

1 hour ago, jhn.holgate said:

Something is done??  Like what?  Can you imagine the logistics involved in just finding all the sharks that are big enough to potentially eat you in all the surfing spots?  The planes and helicopters and man hours involved.  Once you find them, then you'll have to figure out how to 'control' them.  And do this...what, every day?  And while your at it, what about all the box jellyfish, blue ringed octopus and crocs and all the other stuff that can hurt us.  It's their turf, not ours.

What we might be able to do is come up with some clever shark deterrent devices - whether that's those wetsuits with fancy colors so we don't look like seals or some sort of sound emitting device that can be attached to you or your board...maybe they exist already :dontknow:

here you go, try some of these... Shark deterrents

You cull them like you do rabbits kangaroos and foxes 

1 hour ago, Spartan said:

and affect our way of life on land

Precisely, our way of life on land.  What don't you get about that?
Our ocean ecosystems are getting fucked up by the day, and you want to go and interfere by culling sharks that interfere with your leisure activity?

Here's a better idea, lets cull stupid people by simply taking the warning labels off everything and 6 months later the sharks won't have anything to worry about and neither will the rest of humanity.

They knew the risk on entering the water. It is of no fault of the shark.

Humans are built on a history of thinking they have the right to force their will onto every other species on the planet, just because it doesn't fit in with their interests.  

Controlling pests and animal population's we are directly responsible for is one thing. 

But killing sharks to make it safer to enter the water is another. And imo wrong. 

But then I live in England where it's too damn cold for a shark to bother with. The only thing I remember having here is a few Portuguese man o war jellyfish some years ago now during a rather warm summer. 

I think health and safety has gone too far that our own species is at risk. At risk of the gene pool dumbing down. We will become more stupid by the generation on the simple basis that we are programed to only do as we are told. Motorcycle helmets and seat belts should not be compulsory, when you buy a coffee you should not need to be told it is hot. Stupid People are alive and breeding because we make it too easy for stupid people to exist.

Go grow a brain guys I'm talking about culling not having them exterminated. 

I say again and repeat,  I don't hear you guys complaining about culling rabbits kangaroos and foxes, and they're not even affecting our way of life on the land  so why are we culling them.

By the way sharks are not affecting my way of life in the water.  I most probably won't even encounter a shark ever, I'm thinking of all the other poor souls that will get eaten  and most likely will be grommets just having a paddle after school. 

9 hours ago, Spartan said:

Start culling like You do with the rabbits  kangaroos and foxes out on the countryside. 

That's just great.  So we say to the sharks, it's ok, we're not killing/exterminating you, we're just culling you.  You have to DIE because someone wants to SURF.  Bullshit.

8 minutes ago, jhn.holgate said:

8 minutes ago, jhn.holgate said:

That's just great.  So we say to the sharks, it's ok, we're not killing/exterminating you, we're just culling you.  You have to DIE because someone wants to SURF.  Bullshit.

Have you ever killed anything Mr Holgate ?

7 hours ago, Spartan said:

Have you ever killed anything Mr Holgate ?

I have killed a lot of animals George.  Some to my great regret. Some with sympathy, some with malice, some for the right reasons, some for the wrong reasons and some for no reason at all (young boy with slug gun).   I will always try to find a way NOT to kill critters these days.  And sometimes I fight with the 'I am responsible for the welfare of a particular animal' V 'What right do I have to take this animals life'?  

Someone was having a similar argument on the tv the other day and they proclaimed the Humans were the most important species on the planet....Kim and I looked at each other and thought....Are we??  What fucking arrogance.

7 hours ago, Spartan said:

I don't hear you guys complaining about culling rabbits kangaroos and foxes, and they're not even affecting our way of life on the land  so why are we culling them.

A:  We're not discussing rabbits, skippys and foxes.  And B:  Not affecting our way of life??  Perhaps you'd like to talk to some farmers with bunny or roo problems.  I don't have them but I have plenty of foxes - they've eaten my lambs (potentially $150 per meal thank you very much) and killed my chooks.  And in return, I've killed them.  I think it's a shame because it's no fault of the fox that it's here - it's our fault, we brought 'em over here to hunt...for sport.  Sigh, don't get me started on hunting things for sport.

Bunnies get a hard time.  How many generations do you have to be in a country before you're considered a native?  There's way the hell more generations of rabbits then there's ever been white people in Aus, still we label them as pests and cull/poison/shoot 'em.  I have a few dozen around the house - we generally put up with them and leave 'em be.

Back to the topic at hand - culling sharks.  It doesn't seem right that we would kill an animal for what it MIGHT do.  Sure, if a particular shark starts hanging round a beach and gets a taste for bipeds, sure, shoot it.  But sharks can travel something like 50km a day (so I've read) and migrate thousands of miles.  How on earth would you cull something like that?  How would you find 'em?  It would be a never ending job involving shirt loads of people and boats/planes - no one's gonna pay for that.   The only conceivable way I can see to reduce shark attacks is to alter our behavior....which is er....not historically promising.

The global human has exploded exponentially over the past 50 years from 3 to 7 BILLION. There isn't a single place left on this planet unaffected by our species. The marine environment is already under serious threat and if you remove an apex predator the entire food chain is negatively affected. As someone who uses the ocean for a number of my pastimes, I'm happy to see the "shark culling program" is operating although they might need a bit more training to deal with the scourge of human teabags more effectively :diablo::grin: 

White+Shark+Kayak++140+MB+Scan+b©Thomas+P.+Peschak.jpg

4 hours ago, jhn.holgate said:

A:  We're not discussing rabbits, skippys and foxes.  And B:  Not affecting our way of life??  Perhaps you'd like to talk to some farmers with bunny or roo problems.  I don't have them but I have plenty of foxes - they've eaten my lambs (potentially $150 per meal thank you very much) and killed my chooks.  And in return, I've killed them.  

Sharks are affecting our way of life, sharks are taking people's lives.  I'm value human life more than animals. 

Other than inects I've never, repeat NEVER killed  anything in my life, not even a fish  because I hate fishing, you have no right to kill Foxs  I don't care of the reason you have given, if you're telling me you shouldn't be culling sharks,  you are culling foxes, they don't know they are eating $150 worth of meat, to them it's just a meal to stay alive and to feed there cubs. Sorry that's being hypocritical. 

Ps Even though I've never taken the life of an animal, I will be more than happy to be the one culling the sharks if they're taking human life.

3 hours ago, Mfwetu said:

I'm happy to see the "shark culling program"

As in 'sharks' doing the culling ?. I agree.

On average 1200 people die each year on the roads. should we cull P platers ? and that is just the fatalities, not the injuries.

Now on average 1-2 deaths per year due to shark attack in Australia. that is at best one in 15 million chance of you getting killed by a noah.

Dude, you are more likely to get killed slipping and tripping and snapping off your dick and haemorrhage to death from snapped dick. (obviously a joke)

but seriously some of our northern brothers are busy doing the job of culling for us already.....

'Shark finning is killing sharks every year at an alarming rate! It is estimated that 100 to 200 million sharks annually are killed for their fins alone. This practice is mainly for supplying shark fins for the so-called delicacy known as shark fin soup.'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shark_finning (oh god i hate quoting wiki, but there you go i did anyway)

27 minutes ago, Spartan said:

Sharks are affecting our way of life

thats debatable, as i am sure will happen in this thread, also effecting our way of life...

redbacks.

bushfires.

box jelly fish.

brown snakes.

the apex gangs

justin beiber

and catholic priests.. cull them all ??

If you wish to increase your chances in not getting attacked, go into the water in family groups, the more the merrier. Thus reducing your risk.

Viz_Pathetic_Sharks.jpg

i dunno man, i just reckon there are other oogy boogy's to cry about...

30 minutes ago, Spartan said:

if you're telling me you shouldn't be culling sharks,  you are culling foxes, they don't know they are eating $150 worth of meat, to them it's just a meal to stay alive and to feed there cubs. Sorry that's being hypocritical. 

Ok, I can see there is absolutely no point in arguing with you George.  

3 minutes ago, jhn.holgate said:

absolutely no point in arguing with you

lol, 

Its ok John. there is not much point.

Everyone knows arguing on the internet is just like running in the special olympics.

even if you win, you are still retarded ;)

Speical Olympics.jpg

i have been watching this go downhill for a while now.

I hope you are a smarter guy in person Spartan.

See you at sandy point :upyours:

over 30,000 trafic fatalities in the U.S. annually.  Over 3 million since 1899.  The closest beach to me is 750 miles.  My trip to the beach is much more dangerous than the sharks.  A shark is at the top of the food chain and kind of a big deal.  Different than rabbits and other critters and population density is obviously much less.

Maybe there could be more done in the way of warning systems?  not sure.

23 hours ago, Spartan said:

I say again and repeat,  I don't hear you guys complaining about culling rabbits kangaroos and foxes, and they're not even affecting our way of life on the land  so why are we culling them.

Have you seen what a roo can do to a property/livestock fence? (and in turn, what they do to themselves in the process) Im against killing any animal, but the above certainly DO have an affect on our way of life!

@Spartan you keep repeating your concern that grommets will get taken by a shark - here's a business idea for you do some good quality research on the causes of shark attack and start an education program so you can teach them proven ways to avoid a shark attack for example you may find that it is not a very good idea to swim, surf, kite surf at a beach where there is a creek mouth where sharks are known to breed, avoid areas where baiting to attract sharks occurs ect.

You would also need to investigate the importance of sharks to the marine eco system, how to identify different types of shark and their common habitats followed by how likely each type is to come into contact with you and the type of damage each would do.

You could start by googling Rodney Fox a well known shark attack survivor and conservationist.

Just kill every thing, that is the human way it would seem.

We try to kill all the germs in the home, cases allergy increase.

we try to kill infections and end up creating supper bugs resistant to just about ever thing (this is manly due to ignorance)

In the US last year 52 people dyed of bee stings

LEAVE the pour bloody sharks alone 

and hear in Australia about 10 deaths per year from honey bees

Edited by the_hatman OBE
to kill some thing