BobM

Chook's new purchase

I have attached several files and hopefully they are in some sort of order.

Without trying to caption the individual images here is an explanation of each

2838 - Braided Dacron on four spools
2840 - Out of focus manufcturer label on kite bag
2841 - Stitching and bridle close up
2842 - fully opened kite
2843 - handles and roof rack hardware - why only 5 sets and four half-dowels
2844 - view of the underside in front of a junk pile - note the extra pair of holes
2845 - close up of the extra holes
2846 - spring mounted to return to neutral steering?
2847 - close up of springs arrangement
2848 - wheel hubs - no need for fancy wrenches here
2849 - underside of seat
2850 - from the front looking rearward
2851 - side view showing ground clearance
2852 - another from in front
2853 - from the rear looking forward

DSC02838.JPG

DSC02840.JPG

DSC02841.JPG

DSC02842.JPG

DSC02843.JPG

DSC02844.JPG

DSC02845.JPG

DSC02846.JPG

DSC02847.JPG

DSC02848.JPG

DSC02849.JPG

DSC02850.JPG

DSC02851.JPG

DSC02852.JPG

DSC02853.JPG

Joel just rang, nearly wetting himself from laughter, to say you had posted photos Bob.

Hey thanks for taking the time and collecting the buggy for me. (or should I call it "The Death Wish")   :good: I'm most grateful.

Geez she is short coupled between axle centres, which will make it interesting.

Aircraft rudder steering just like my "stern steerer land yacht. Push right/turn right.

1 hour ago, jhn.holgate said:

Awesome!!  Are those two springs for helping keep the back wheel centered and tracking straight?

Love the "steering dampers" John.

This will help a huge amount by holding it straight, when I'm rolled up into the fetal position with fear and heading to the scene of the accident!!! :o  

A bit of a "Gumnuts" issue with the steering caster, as it's arse about as well.

Looks like there maybe some "high strength paint" holding the main steering head cluster. (on the close up pic of the springs.)

I wonder if some small rollerblade wheels on each end of the steering bar would help retain directional control when the kite overpowers and lifts the rear steering wheel.:eek:

The main thing is I love it when people get stuck in and are prepared to give it a go. That to me is the most important thing in life!!!:clapping:

Looking forward to having a try and have the money box ready for the gold coin donation for a "ride".

Cheers for that Bob, your a true champion!!!:friends:

10 hours ago, Darren Tibbey said:

The kite is from a shop in mornington Vic. Was around about 15 years ago. I scored some of his stock when he closed up.

He made the massive windsock i have.

Thanks Darren, now I know where the kite came from :-)

11 hours ago, windstruck said:

A shout out from way up North!  In a nutshell, why the general reversal of tradition tricycle design to the single steerable wheel behind the rider?  Enquiring minds want to know!

Dunno windstruck!!! :scratchhead:

I do know that traditional land yachts were stern steerers and huge craft weighing up to 4 1/2 ton.

The original stern steer yacht I built in 2015 lasted a whole 9 mins.:eek:

It got to 77kmh on the GPS and I hit a soft patch on our lake and "pitch poled" over the mast. It looked like a spider that had been stepped on when it came to rest completely destroyed. I was unhurt just a blackened shoulder where I got wrapped over the boom. I salvaged the wheels, seat, sail and steering pedals and built "Cock Tail" shifting the CofG back more. It's fully adjustable in about 5 mins with a couple of spanners for different sailing surfaces. Have had it up to 86.3kmh.

Cocktail.jpg

It's a different yacht to sail (make that, lots of little inputs, NO big steering inputs) but flogs a blokart and that was most important!!!:good: 

It's a great feeling up on two wheels on a broad reach.

I would love to have a go at a crabber buggy too.:itwasme:

crabammo1.JPG

18 hours ago, Darren Tibbey said:

The kite is from a shop in mornington Vic. Was around about 15 years ago. I scored some of his stock when he closed up.

This is probably the same shop I visited in approx 1996, and took a photo of a backwards display buggy. Sorry about quality.

Michael

image.jpeg

59 minutes ago, mik333 said:

This is probably the same shop I visited in approx 1996, and took a photo of a backwards display buggy. Sorry about quality.

Michael

image.jpeg

Looks like stainless steel with midi tyres

Nice work Michael. :good:

I wonder who is fostering this stainless twin then?  Whether they are still alive or not.:itwasme:

Can I please get an outside diameter measurement of the tube used on the seat frame please Bob? I'll make up some extensions and shift the axle forward on a no wind day.  

46 minutes ago, Chook said:

Can I please get an outside diameter measurement of the tube used on the seat frame please Bob? I'll make up some extensions and shift the axle forward on a no wind day

Never tried a buggy but used a lot of billy carts growing up. I love this project - thanks for sharing :good: 

Just an observation, whatever you want to move the axle forward by will have to be taken out of the steering column so I hope you're bringing the welder with and a length of mild pipe to sleeve it with. Could also use a couple of 6mm bolts to connect the sleeve if the welder takes up too much space in the car.

3 hours ago, Mfwetu said:

Just an observation, whatever you want to move the axle forward by will have to be taken out of the steering column so I hope you're bringing the welder with and a length of mild pipe to sleeve it with. Could also use a couple of 6mm bolts to connect the sleeve if the welder takes up too much space in the car.

Thanks for that. I will try and make sleeved extensions that fit over existing frame tube so no welding if possible.  Well that's the plan anyway.

It does look like it slips into a socket of larger tube and the bolt retains it. So just cut the steering tube shorter and redrill the hole. Just need to know the tube size, so I can build the seat frame extensions.                          

DSC02844_thumb_JPG_2badffddc2762d14b05f5e2b28cfbda9.jpg

Been busy building a couple of sets of footpegs with heel straps for my 2 Sysmic buggys. Slowly improving them as I need the comfort for long hours kiting.

I'm up to a "Mk 4 design" of peg, as I have no feeling in my left leg below the knee (bloody tiger snake, but that's another story) and don't want that foot falling off the peg at speed. I wear work boots for that reason, so the heel strap webbing retains the heel of my boot, jamming it under the peg till my knee is bent to release it.

Think you're right about the socket for the steering shaft - I should've scrolled up further to the pic of the bottom view :blush:

Looking forward to seeing pics of all the final mods and some action shots 

14 hours ago, Chook said:

8< - - - - - - >8 

Can I please get an outside diameter measurement of the tube used on the seat frame please Bob? I'll make up some extensions and shift the axle forward on a no wind day.  

Exactly one inch (according to my el-cheapo vernier calipers)

Measured at the "spare" holes mentioned above and confirmed near the "narwahl tusk" arrangement for steering extender

5 hours ago, Jason said:

No Comment..

Hello Mr conservative.:sad:         Happy new year cobber.

I knocked up the 300mm "bolt on" extensions to alter it when needed. Just cut 65mm behind the axle and fit these. I reckon the original must be almost a perfectly triangular wheelbase and too short coupled to have any sort of control with such a forward CofG. Time will tell. I've packed the band-aids.

IMG_0016.JPG

Flat plates to tek screw to rear of the front axle to stop the frame from twisting. (Probably the least of my worries.)

IMG_0013.JPG

Worried it will bend/sag at the curve in the frame behind the seat though. Steering will be super twitchy.:eek:

Well I live in hope the buggy works anyway. Ha ha. :sarcastic: