Landslide

Lake George - Canberra

Hey, has anyone buggied at Lake George north of Canberra?

Are there restrictions?

Can you get on it?

Any other shit I don't know or need to know. It's 3 1/2 hours from me, and I don't wanna just drive for nothing. 

Right now, the lake bed is very moist and the mud will coat your wheels until there is so much mud, the wheels won't turn.

On days after rain, you might be able to kite-surf on it.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_George_(New_South_Wales) for a discussion and note that September 2016 the lake was at its highest for some years

13 hours ago, BobM said:

Right now, the lake bed is very moist and the mud will coat your wheels until there is so much mud, the wheels won't turn.

On days after rain, you might be able to kite-surf on it.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_George_(New_South_Wales) for a discussion and note that September 2016 the lake was at its highest for some years

Kite surf, hmm maybe. The biggest thing I would be worried about are the bits just under the surface not readily visible that could do serious harm to you like fence posts and the barbed wire attached to those fence posts. I personally never kited there but passed by numereous times to and from Canberra.

Cheers all for the feedback. I reckon I'll keep an eye on it. I run a big 16" shit picking up front tyre. So mud rather than cow shit is a bonus 💩  

I have a mate at Wollongong who will be interested and a designated drunk who can help if anyone is interested in a meet up. 

Kitebuggied Lake George today! 😁 Very happy to say that it is usable again. The water has receeded quite a bit, leaving plenty of space for a run.

You need to head out a few hundred metres from the southern rest stop to where the brighter green vegetation can be seen. When you get there you'll find a dry, cracked dirt crust with a covering of light weeds. It all looks like grass from the highway, but isn't. There are patches of slightly thicker grass around the place, but there is still a pretty good sized pan of smoother ground available. I found that closer to the highway it is quite bumpy so I headed out a bit. The gates are locked for cars, but walking with the buggy in tow isn't too onerous. 

Best winds are south to nor'east for the highway side as there is much less turbulence than with Westerlies. This time of year is good for the afternoon 'seabreeze' that kicks in from the east reasonably frequently, arriving mid to late arvo on days with the right conditions. 

It isn't as smooth as a beach, but you can't beat the feeling of having all of that space to play in!

IMG_20170226_151337.jpg

Hi @Tiger37, yep, I'm a local. Happy to meet up for a kitebuggy sometime soon. 😀 I'm arranging to meet another kitebuggier I know at LG in a couple of weeks. I'll let you know when we plan head out. 

I heard that there were Canberra folks at Kingston this year. Were you one of them? I was just up the beach racing a Blokart. Seeing the Kingston kitebuggy vids made me dust off the ancient PL Comp again! It's been a long while.

9 hours ago, Easterly said:

I heard that there were Canberra folks at Kingston this year. Were you one of them? I was just up the beach racing a Blokart. 

@Tiger37 was one of two visiting from ACT. 

I was down the beach with the blokart, giving the buggies a hard time! LOL. 

Hey, great to see that the lake is on. From the photo, that looks like a smooth sweet ride to me (I'm used to cow paddocks).

There is no way I can make it down till after Easter school hols. I will do some more sneaky squirrel closer to run time and get some involved if I can.

9 hours ago, Easterly said:

Hi @Tiger37, yep, I'm a local. Happy to meet up for a kitebuggy sometime soon. 😀 I'm arranging to meet another kitebuggier I know at LG in a couple of weeks. I'll let you know when we plan head out. 

I heard that there were Canberra folks at Kingston this year. Were you one of them? I was just up the beach racing a Blokart. Seeing the Kingston kitebuggy vids made me dust off the ancient PL Comp again! It's been a long while.

As Mez has said, yes I was at Kingston. Look forward to meeting you and having a buggy session on Lake George.  My local buggy spot is the ovals behind the Burns Club at Kambah. 

Hi Guys,

That surface that @Easterly posted a picture of, looks fantastic. If you find you all get together to make a day of it, I would like to try and drive up.

good to see your buggy easterly. hope you all get some good rides up there.

I wouldn't mind travelling over to give it a go on the buggy. 

A windsurf group I'm involved with have been making trips to Lake George over summer.  Their reports were 5km planing runs, so kitesurfing it wouldn't be an issue. 

I'm away till the end of the month but would certainly like to get together sometime to try Lake George again. Count me in. I'm also happy to recce the lake to check if it's dry enough. 

Been a while... :Dragster: Now the summer easterlies are back it might be time to dust off the buggy and try Lake George again. If any of the local crew are interested in heading out it would be good meet up. The lake surface might need a few days of sunshine to dry out after the recent rain, though!