Really excited about snowkiting this winter,

Last year i had a broken shoulder and new born son, so this year im doing double to make up for my lack of riding in 2016.

In Preperation:-

My wife and work have been informed of my plans to ride lots.

I have purchased seasons and resort access passes for Falls creek (because conditions can never be counted on).

Lodge bookings have been made, with flexibility.

Lots of good deeds and Karma points, which will hopefully be exchanged for great conditions.

Share the stoke, so please make yourself known if you plan on riding Falls, post your trip details, photos etc.

Enjoy,

Karl Lapwood.

2013 snowkite.bmp

On ‎4‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 1:06 AM, Kiwikarl said:

Really excited about snowkiting this winter,

Last year i had a broken shoulder and new born son, so this year im doing double to make up for my lack of riding in 2016.

In Preperation:-

My wife and work have been informed of my plans to ride lots.

I have purchased seasons and resort access passes for Falls creek (because conditions can never be counted on).

Lodge bookings have been made, with flexibility.

Lots of good deeds and Karma points, which will hopefully be exchanged for great conditions.

Share the stoke, so please make yourself known if you plan on riding Falls, post your trip details, photos etc.

Enjoy,

Karl Lapwood.

2013 snowkite.bmp

Hey Karl,

Not quite as prepared as you though I am hoping to get up to Falls later in the season - will be in touch!

At the moment not enough snow.. 

im up at Falls creek, it's snowing on and off, and plenty forecast over the next few days, so could be good by next weekend.

My next trip after this one will be Friday 21st July till Monday 24th, hopefully it's good conditions then!

KiteRepublic run a snowkiting trip to Hotham first weekend of September. 

That's prob a good bet for first timers..

ill prob be up Falls that weekend, holidays booked and fingers crossed for conditions  

On 03/07/2017 at 4:50 PM, .Joel said:

@Kiwikarl other than Falls Creek can you name some other places for snowkiting in Vic?

Falls is probably the best, you can head out to spion kopje, or over towards towonga huts, as long as you can get away from the resort area.

most of the resorts don't work unless you can get well away from the lift areas... which often isn't as tracks are cut to make the runs and outside that it's still treed to some degree ( lake mountain, bawbaw, Buller wouldn't bother) read you need to have cross country ski gear, prefererably the metal edged telemark variety.

stirling has a smallish area near the summit that's quite open, that's fairly easy access, not to sure about dinner plain.

of course you theoretically could ski around Mt howitt and connected hills ie the bluff, or across at Mt speculation ..... none of those areas is particularly huge and open. My bogong would be ideal if you had the determination to climb it first. All these are "remote" areas and unless you are well equipped and confident about your abilities in the snow give these a miss. ( on a 4 day trip I spent 2 days backpacking out of a blizzard and have permanent nerve damage as a result of frostbite so I speak from experience) 

i suspect the best areas are up in the snowy mountains ..... not my backyard so can't help there.

This photo popped up on my Facebook today from 5 years ago.

its from the summit of Mt McKay with Falls creek in the far background.

Today ruined castle lifts opened, which Means there should be enough snow.

IMG_4576.JPG

Yesterday was awesome. 

14ish knots. Clear sky's and a handful of stoked Kiter's.

The cover is excellent with more snow forecast tonight. 

Facebook has a new snowkiting group called:-

VIC Snowkiter, worth checking out.

54.4km/h top speed on the way back from Mt McKay summit, the snow was a good compromise between soft and fast. 

9m ChronoV2UL

IMG_4652.JPG

IMG_4655.JPG

IMG_4659.JPG

2 hours ago, Wazza1 said:

Anyone else around Falls this week? This snow dump has been brilliant!

Looking forward to heading out with the kite around Wed

Yep, Amazing @ Falls creek this week.

Hoping to kite tomorrow, I have a 9m Hyperlink to review.

Fingers crossed for wind and blue sky's 

Wednesday should also be epic. ( I have to work)

Photos :-  "simmo" from VIC SNOWKITERS Facebook group jumping Eagle Rock.

IMG_4788.PNG

IMG_4790.PNG

IMG_4791.PNG

Yes Mavic. Unfortunately we forgot the phone so the Falls footage was all shot off the basic controller which is a pain as you lose all the camera control settings :-( . Next time we won't forget. 

Soo much snow this season...

Had an awesome day up Falls creek on Monday. 

Awesome snow, full blue sky, 25/30knots all day. 

Looking forward to October, the ski season has been extended to 8th, but the snow's not going anywhere soon. 

Next trip for me will be that closing weekend.

IMG_5144.JPG

IMG_5172.JPG

IMG_5176.JPG

IMG_5181.PNG

On 26 August 2017 at 5:05 PM, DrWind said:

Nathan and I managed to squeeze in a couple of days at Mt Buffalo and Falls Creek last weekend. It was great to get the dust off the gear and we are now planning some more trips before the snow disappears. Hope you enjoy the footage :-)

Great vid DrWind, brings back some fond memories of Mt Buffalo when I camped up there as a young bloke. Looks like a nice spot for snowkiting.