As I mentioned in another thread, I have a heap of material left over from building 1830 F-arc's. The f-arcs are made from good quality chikara ripstop and it is too good to just throw out, so I decided I needed to put it to good use.

I have been playing with Surf Plan for a while now and although I can get a design that looks good, I have no idea if the design will fly or not. Then one day looking threw some old archived websites, I found a link to the surf plan design specs for a 6m p-arc. P-arc (P=parallel) was the original name of the F-arc, but was changed before release because Parc backwards is crap :D 

SurfPlan Download

P-arc base.sle

IMG_1027.thumb.JPG.ed7b0e48d937c763abf85dca8010a4af.JPG

anyway, I decided it was worth giving it a go since I already had the material. So I got the plans printed out on A0 paper and set to work.

IMG_1026.thumb.PNG.3b22603196e8f436438d761d9aff239e.PNG

first thing I had to do was unpick every seam on the remaining sections of 16m f-arc, which took a lot longer then expected.

next came the marking out and cutting. Because I was working with material that had been folded and crushed, rather then off the roll, it was a nightmare getting it to lay flat to trace the outline on to. I had to flatten an then clamp the corners to the table. As well as the outline of each piece surfplan also allows you to add waypoints so everything can be aligned after being cut.

I used a hot knife to cut all the pieces out to make it a bit quicker and stop the edges from fraying.

IMG_7469.thumb.JPG.5211f542e461c3fc91f9f65c6ee97af1.JPG

IMG_7461.thumb.JPG.fb08d82796777d1517eb6fbd708c6ba5.JPG

IMG_7457.thumb.JPG.d9b0ee03aca42f28d298eb2bf1ef40af.JPG

i then used double sided tape to stick all the pieces of the top and bottom skin together for sewing. The ribs were too difficult to stick in place, so they were just aligned and stitched as I went. (A walking foot attachment from eBay makes sewing ripstop sooo much easier)

IMG_7476.thumb.JPG.551438332e42496f19823b0b28f5288b.JPG

IMG_1057.thumb.PNG.82132466b75fb94ba8caaed93b9c2fe3.PNG

IMG_7487.thumb.JPG.5b3080ad5285c88d10accbcebaf8912b.JPG

The surfplan design didn't have spar pockets, so I made them from some 50mm webbing and stitched them to the end cells. 

I also added internal front and rear straps of 25mm webbing, similar to the more modern arcs. Like the modern arcs, the rear strap has adjustment for the middle 5 cells and wingtip 5 cells. I also made the front line adjustable at the middle 5 cells, in case the kite was prone to backstall.

IMG_7485.thumb.JPG.72cc8540c8e9730e9c1b4897ef129154.JPG

And the finished product.....

flat area: 6m

wing span: 6m 

AR: 6.0

IMG_7514.thumb.JPG.ecf525928b1504c1e5a47decf2ac116b.JPG

I estimate it took about 100hrs, cost $150 and countless 🍺

Outstanding work!!!!:ok:     I'm amazed at what you come up with.

It's a credit to your determination to achieve fella. Or more to the point, not waste good materials.

This should be a great high wind weapon. Bloody well done.

Bet there is no wind for a month now.

3 minutes ago, Goz said:

Well Done Andy, that is a cool way to use leftover material. :Thumbs-up-smaller:

Whats next a set of stacked yellow Rev copies?

I was thinking wind socks, but the revs sound good too. 

Looks great, good work. Always wanted to do that but never had the time or inclination :D

I seem to remember reading on the PL blog that the F-arc was so named because the first time he flew it, he was like "Farc!" I wonder which story is apocraphyl . . .

1 hour ago, Kamikuza said:

Looks great, good work. Always wanted to do that but never had the time or inclination :D

I seem to remember reading on the PL blog that the F-arc was so named because the first time he flew it, he was like "Farc!" I wonder which story is apocraphyl . . .

Seems we are both right :D 

http://www.peterlynnkites.com/news/0112news.htm

Awsome effort @andy666. Good to see you put the straps in, I saw years ago some one went down the same path with SurfPlan perhaps even the same arc plan and did not put in the straps or was it putting the strap on the wrong side, either way it developed a large dip in the profile. Good luck with the maiden flight.

10 hours ago, Darren Tibbey said:

Be interesting how this compares to the Hi Archs. Seems to turn fast. Whats it pull like?

Yeah, it does turn pretty fast, but it's on a 50cm bar, so that's got a lot to do with it.

not sure how well it will go in the buggy yet. Very gusty wind.

when it gusted, guessing about 15knots, it had a bit of pull. But it's still way below its ideal wind range. Plus it may static fly well, but stall when up to speed in the buggy. Only time will tell.