Jump to content
Mez

Land Yacht Overtaking Rules

Recommended Posts

Taken from the Boys Brigade Australia Blokart Manual, how to correctly behave around another land yacht, and I'd assume kite buggy also. I try and not go under the lines of the kites and stick close to the water edge. 

Blokart Overtaking.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good heads up Mary as a head on would be really nasty at our closing speeds. I have seen a few blokes hurt in T-bones and collisions during the crazy 2 minute wind up before the start of the race at relatively low speeds.

I just got home from a run in the 5.6 mini Land yacht on our local Pink Lake. (2kms away from the Chook-house)

The first for this season due to the strong Easterlies we have had for the past fortnight blowing the water over to the western side.

It was still pretty damp and quite soft but with the wind gusting to 23knots we had a ball.

Greg was turning at high speed in the slippery conditions and managed to hit a semi submerged tree limb (that had floated into the area we sail on over winter and was bleached white like the rest of the surface) at right angles and bent his 20mm axle into the hub of the 26" fatbike rim. His wheel construction held up though. He managed to sail back to the car to pack it up. I towed the limb back to the carpark area with my yacht to keep the area safe.

My top GPS speed for the arvo on a 7.2m2 sail was only 84.7kmh due to it being really soft. Any day you play is a great day eh?:clapping:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Chook said:

My top GPS speed for the arvo on a 7.2m2 sail was only 84.7kmh due to it being really soft. Any day you play is a great day eh?:clapping:

I love the end to your comment @Chook "Was only 84.7kmh" - Im scared when I do 45kmh.

I hope that Greg is okay? I can see where a Drone would be perfect to inspect the surface before a run, but who has time to mess around with one of those when the wind is behaving.....it came down out of the Norfolk Pines and remained grounded LOL

I was just reading about the pink lake. Living so close, can you smell what is described as "violets"?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4 November 2017 at 5:45 PM, Mez said:

Taken from the Boys Brigade Australia Blokart Manual, how to correctly behave around another land yacht, and I'd assume kite buggy also. I try and not go under the lines of the kites and stick close to the water edge. 

Blokart Overtaking.jpeg

The last picture, something seems wrong here. So if you ar racing in the same direction and want to seriously slow down the rider on the left, pass on the upwind right side, steer left, then rider on the left must steer away left. Nasty move. Am I missing something?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, SoutherlyBuster said:

The last picture, something seems wrong here. So if you ar racing in the same direction and want to seriously slow down the rider on the left, pass on the upwind right side, steer left, then rider on the left must steer away left. Nasty move. Am I missing something?

Yes, from what I have been reading, (as Ive only been in the one race) the port rider would need to slow down for a converging rider (but hopefully the starboard rider won't be an noob and slow right down, as he'd be stupid to do so if he had the power to overtake)

I wonder if @Chook could throw some light on this. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just give way to the right if your overtaking, it's not for long usually and the left will tuck in behind. If the overtaking yacht forces the other left I guess it wouldn't be very sporting (Very poor form) and you could raise a protest I guess. Dunno in 7 seasons of racing I've never been involved with a protest.

Would love to hear the correct answer Southerly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×