Sign in to follow this  
SoutherlyBuster

Naish Foil Board

Oh ya, on Saturday drove up to Lake Coleridge. Was only forecast for 12 knots or so, but ended up hm as usual pumping to 17 knots then at the end of the day 30 knots. Lovely deep water, had a great foil board session and managed to ride the hydofoil with the top board out of the water. Ya Hoooo! So I was out on my FlySurfer Speed IV 8m and Zac on my FlySurfer Psycho IV 10m with a twin tip. Body dragging on the Speed IV no problems now.

Sunday tried the beach at New Brighton, but with the incoming tide and wind dropping did not turn out well. The 8m could stay up in the air and body drap me through the breakers but not enough power to launch me onto the board, not enough wind for the Speed III 12m was fallining out of the sky too often.

How about you Plummet?

Still giving it a go when ever I have the chance. Thought I would experiment with the position of the rear stabilizer wing, inititally set at the aft most position for stability, now changed to the forward position — worked well for me. Had a session on the Estuary 14 to 16 knots with the Speed IV 8m^2, magic session, foiling with the  board out  of the water for extended runs, ya ha hoo it’s clicked in! I kept on having in my mind @Kamikuza ‘s advice on the SWAMI/Yoga position. OK so the flat water aaction is progressing nicely.

Surf action, ...... zzzz ..... I try this and every time get “foiled” and then told by the local foil board riders “you are providing us with endless entertainment ... surf too big for foiling, use the surf board instead”. The white wash just pushes me back to shore, impossible to body drag out. So @plummet, your beach must have even bigger waves being on the West coast of NZ rather than the East Coast of NZ for me. Are there days when you just give foilboarding a miss and use your TT instead because it is not suitable for foil boarding? The local foil boarders here say wait for days in the surf when it is a light 10 knot day and bugger all surf. Perhaps its a function of the type of surf we typically have with onshore winds here in Christchurch — mushy.

So lets hear it from other Foilboard riders that kite out in the surf.

Southerly.

Onshore is considerably harder to break through than cross shore. I have cross on, cross 95% of the time. With cross on you can use the kite to drive you through  the surf and weilding the board like shield.

Even so there is still a limit to when it is unsafe, unwise or no longer fun to foil. 

That limit starts off quite small to begin with then increases as your skill improves.

19 hours ago, Kamikuza said:

I can count on one finger the number of times I've kited in cross-shore conditions :D

Most common for me is cross/on. then cross, then cross off, then onshore..................

Onshore is good for land kiting but that's about it! 

We equally get about up to 30 degrees (at the very, very most) cross either direction and dead on. Which is kind of good, as the beach pokes out a bit and if you lost the kite in cross conditions, one direction would be several hours float to dry land, the other a couple of days :D

Sand is too soft for land boarding....it's all better than nowt though, and it's only 15 minutes away.

On 1/7/2018 at 10:42 AM, Kamikuza said:

Yes. Foiling is for light winds for me. I like trying to ride waves but you don't need much of a swell to glide...Big waves are better used with other boards IMO

Although depending on where you stood at the estuary, it could actually be offshore :D

On 1/8/2018 at 11:58 PM, Kamikuza said:

We equally get about up to 30 degrees (at the very, very most) cross either direction and dead on. Which is kind of good, as the beach pokes out a bit and if you lost the kite in cross conditions, one direction would be several hours float to dry land, the other a couple of days :D

Sand is too soft for land boarding....it's all better than nowt though, and it's only 15 minutes away.

Although depending on where you stood at the estuary, it could actually be offshore :D

Offshore on the Estuary, arggg, lugging a 10 kg rig on land for kms don’t want to go there. 

On a more positive note, had another go out in the surf. Waves and mish was a bit lower, the usual strong rip cross shore and onshore winds. You would think I would have learnt not to go out on the foilboard,  but could not resist. Had some extended runs up on the foil, ya hoo, but there was a price to pay, myskill level is not there yet to penetrate the mush, stay up on the board long enough to get back to where I started, so a 1km walk of shame. Totoally knackered by the end of it. Now I know @Kamikuza why you looked for a lighter rig. Finished off the session on the surfboard.

Another fella was there with his new Axis foil board and Axis mast/wings. Very clean design and light weight. Was the aluminium mast and fuselage. The board was amazingly light. Great effort from the Axis team. Oops a stray from the Naish subject line. :)  The board had generous chimes on the rails and plenty of volume, do you @Kamikuza find the chimes help with the launches?

Speaking of rips. Look for one in an onshore. The more rip the better. It will suck you out past the breakers. Don't let go of the board or drop the kite though. This is how I got out in Auckland last week. Twas a glorious thing! 

12 hours ago, SoutherlyBuster said:

Another fella was there with his new Axis foil board and Axis mast/wings. Very clean design and light weight. Was the aluminium mast and fuselage. The board was amazingly light. Great effort from the Axis team. Oops a stray from the Naish subject line. :)  The board had generous chimes on the rails and plenty of volume, do you @Kamikuza find the chimes help with the launches?

Toldja :D

For an aluminum set up, I think it's a good weight, verging on light. I think there's a lot of hair splitting going on -- 1kg either side of an arbitrary number makes something "heavy" or "light" and has people shaking their heads :D

IMO chines help when you're leaning the board over and the rail is close to the water -- they bounce of the water rather than dragging and digging in. I think a wider, flatter bottom will help more for starts...but big boards like the Alien Air aren't the best for actual riding, especially when you have enough power.

You really need two boards, one for ultimate light wind and one for easy powered riding ;)

Very soon, the walks of shame will be having to walk DOWN wind because you're so far upwind :D